Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide out bounces?

Hello everyone,
    We have Reflection 297rsts. Is it normal when sitting in the the slide to feel it bouncing when someone is walking?
    Dave and Nancy
    Reflection 297 rsts
    Horseheads, NY

I forgot one other thing. What should I use to lubricate the arms that move the slide in and out.
    Last edited by Dave/Nancy; 09-14-2021, 07:38 PM.

Yes, it is very normal to feel the trailer move (or slide if that's where you're sitting) when someone walks through the trailer. Even my 10lb poodle trotting through the camper will send noticeable vibrations through my theater seating .

For lubricating the slides, Lippert's official position is none is required. From the manual:
    It is recommended that when operating in harsh environments (road salt, ice build up, etc) the moving parts
    be kept clean. They can be washed with mild soap and water. No grease or lubrication is necessary and in some
    situations may be detrimental to the environment and long term dependability of the system.

There is a lot of information on your electric thru-frame slide at lci1.com. Follow the Support Documentation links and you'll navigate (eventually) to the slide area where there are many technical manuals on the product. This link should get you close: https://support.lci1.com/through-fra...c-slide-system

Personally, I use CRC with PTFE on the interior of the gear boxes to lubricate the drive shaft (not the gear faces) as explained in the service manual. I also make sure all the mechanisms are kept free from debris, nests, etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lubricate.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	65950

TucsonJim has a 297RSTS. When he sees this thread I'm sure he'll chime in.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Yes, normal at least as defined by my experience. I have a 297RSTS and there is movement when the DW or dogs walk in the rig. Even the dog scratching an ear will cause the trailer to bounce a bit. In fairness, the dogs are 115 and 80 pounds though.

Along with the stabilizers, I use x-chocks (light tension) to help keep fwd/back movement in check. (not that they're doing THAT much)
      Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
      2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
      2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Dave/Nancy View Post
        Hello everyone,
        We have Reflection 297rsts. Is it normal when sitting in the the slide to feel it bouncing when someone is walking?
        Dave and Nancy
        Reflection 297 rsts
        Horseheads, NY

I forgot one other thing. What should I use to lubricate the arms that move the slide in and out.
        My 297 bounces like a 4.0 quake in Southern California. Person walking (bounce). Pine cone hitting the roof (bounce). Dogs playing (bounce). It's perfectly normal.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Every time I have asked a question, I have received very helpful ideas.
          Dave and Nancy
          2020 Reflection 297RSTS

Comment

I bought a set of these slide out jacks at Camping World.
            Eaz-lift slide out supports. $78 for a pair. They extend from 19" to 47" tall. They don't eliminate the bounce but it did help quite a bit on our 2600RB.

Name:	20210920_140344.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	66339
            Bob, Therese & Frankie
            2022 Imagine 2600RB
            2016 F150 Platinum 3.5 ecoboost w/maxtow

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Siler View Post
              I bought a set of these slide out jacks at Camping World.
              Eaz-lift slide out supports. $78 for a pair. They extend from 19" to 47" tall. They don't eliminate the bounce but it did help quite a bit on our 2600RB.

Name:	20210920_140344.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	66339
              I think I read that Lippert does not recommend use of these. They can cause the rack and pinion to move out of alignment if the slide sits on the jacks and lifts off the gears during movement.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I think I read that Lippert does not recommend use of these. They can cause the rack and pinion to move out of alignment if the slide sits on the jacks and lifts off the gears during movement.
                Good to know thanks! I'll look into to that.
                Bob, Therese & Frankie
                2022 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

ncitro You are correct. I dont know how I missed it but they do not recomend use of slide out supports. I'm sitting on a paved area right now so settling wouldn't have been an issue but I pulled them anyway. I'll repurpose them for something. They are a really well made solid support.
                  Thanks
                  Bob, Therese & Frankie
                  2022 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

ncitro You are correct. I dont know how I missed it but they do not recomend use of slide out supports. I'm sitting on a paved area right now so settling wouldn't have been an issue but I pulled them anyway. I'll repurpose them for something. They are a really well made solid support.
                    Thanks

I know Brian Country Campers used a set as extra rear stabilizers under his frame and is happy with them.

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Despite all the advice about not using slide supports . . . I use them under the curb slide with the recliners and they make more of a difference than any other stabilizers. They are most effective on a concrete pad where they need to be just lightly snugged up against the slide rails. They make little difference and are not worth the risk on soft ground. The biggest risk is that a tire goes soft on that side and the slide support takes more load than intended. This could definitely damage the slide mechanisms. On a rig with an auto levelling leg close the tires, this risk would be minimized.

I am definitely not advising anyone to use these . . . just saying (from first hand experience) they are the best way to take the bounce out of a slide.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

And, it has been covered in our GDRV Owners Manuals since company inception to not use these. Yeh, yeh, yeh - I know that nobody seems to read these things anymore but just "imagine" (see what I did there) what questions would be answered; problems/damage avoided; etc. would be covered resulting in more peace and "Solitude !"

Dan
                        Dan & Carol
                        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
                          And, it has been covered in our GDRV Owners Manuals since company inception to not use these. Yeh, yeh, yeh - I know that nobody seems to read these things anymore but just "imagine" (see what I did there) what questions would be answered; problems/damage avoided; etc. would be covered resulting in more peace and "Solitude !"

Dan
                          I did actually read the manual cover to cover when when we purchased the unit. I just didn't remeber seeing it. It was pretty clear when i referred to it yesterday. I'm one of those guys that reads the instructions but have been known to miss stuff occasionally.
                          Bob, Therese & Frankie
                          2022 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

I did actually read the manual cover to cover when when we purchased the unit. I just didn't remeber seeing it. It was pretty clear when i referred to it yesterday. I'm one of those guys that reads the instructions but have been known to miss stuff occasionally.
                            Yes, Bob - I would hate to admit all the things I have missed over the years after reading my docs LOL ! My wife has shared that with me a number of times ! Even my BIL is getting on me now !

Dan
                            Dan & Carol
                            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Working...
                            X