Slide out toppers/covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide out toppers/covers

I am picking up my new 2022 303 next week, couple of mods I want to do......slide toppers and pass though sliding cargo tray.
    Question....has anyone installed slide toppers? Heck, I deem myself somewhat mechanical, Airforce fighter crewchief, race car builder, furniture builder and general handy guy....I believe I can save some money and install the toppers myself.
    Thanks
    ray

Originally posted by Rgpracer View Post
    I am picking up my new 2022 303 next week, couple of mods I want to do......slide toppers and pass though sliding cargo tray.
    Question....has anyone installed slide toppers? Heck, I deem myself somewhat mechanical, Airforce fighter crewchief, race car builder, furniture builder and general handy guy....I believe I can save some money and install the toppers myself.
    Thanks
    ray
    Ray, as I recall Rob Cate&Rob did install slide toppers himself, on their 303. I'm sure Rob will chime in at some point and share more. Thanks, in advance, Rob !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Hi Ray,

I think Rob's 303 is a 2015, so it would be like mine. We had slide toppers installed on our 2016 3003. Our neighbor across the street has a 2018 3003, and it came with a awning on the slide out on the dinette side. We do not have that awning. They were told there was not enough room at the top of that slide out to put a topper and have the awning, so the dealer would not do it. Although I have not done it yet, I have a plan (probably after retirement) to add the awning to the slide out in addition to my topper. I have taken extensive measurements and pictures of my neighbors rig and mine. Our slide outs are the same size. The brackets for both the topper and the awning would somewhat overlap, but if I were to fashion a custom bracket, I think both would fit.

The bottom line is I think toppers could be done on yours on the dinette slide out, but you may have to do it yourself. If you do it or if you find a dealer that will do it, please take and post some pictures. I would love to see the solution. I could take some pictures of my topper on that slide out if you think it would help you.

Tony

Tony G
      2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
      2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
      KTM 250XC

Comment

Rgpracer

Slide toppers can definitely be fitted to a Reflection 303RLS (even though some dealers will claim that this is not possible).

The "pinch point" (literally) is between a slide topper on the dining slide and the arm of the main awning. This requires a shorter topper than recommended by the topper manufacturer. As you can see in the attached picture, even with a shorter topper, there is barely 1/2" clearance to the awning arm.

Another thing to be ready for is that toppers on a Reflection 5th wheel will be nearly horizontal (inboard/outboard) and will not meet the manufacturer's recommended slope. This is because the roofline of a Reflection tapers down at both the fore and aft ends. The topper has to be level (fore/aft)and this means that it will be very close to the roof at one end.

All this said . . . we have had toppers on our 6 year old Reflection 303RLS since new and they continue to function well. They do gather water puddles when it rains, but this has not caused any durability issues and actually stops them from fluttering in the wind. (I did not install these, but did have some "influence" on the dealer convincing him that a topper could go on the dining table slide.) Your brackets will likely be different on this slide because of the second awning which was not there on earlier models.

Rob
        Attached Files
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks, Tony tgodrich and Rob Cate&Rob !

Dan
          Dan & Carol

Comment

Again, very interested in the brackets incorporating the awning and topper on the dining side slide. If there are ones that can be purchased, I would like to buy them.
            Tony G
            2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
            2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
            KTM 250XC

Comment

Originally posted by tgodrich View Post
              Hi Ray,

I think Rob's 303 is a 2015, so it would be like mine. We had slide toppers installed on our 2016 3003. Our neighbor across the street has a 2018 3003, and it came with a awning on the slide out on the dinette side. We do not have that awning. They were told there was not enough room at the top of that slide out to put a topper and have the awning, so the dealer would not do it. Although I have not done it yet, I have a plan (probably after retirement) to add the awning to the slide out in addition to my topper. I have taken extensive measurements and pictures of my neighbors rig and mine. Our slide outs are the same size. The brackets for both the topper and the awning would somewhat overlap, but if I were to fashion a custom bracket, I think both would fit.

The bottom line is I think toppers could be done on yours on the dinette slide out, but you may have to do it yourself. If you do it or if you find a dealer that will do it, please take and post some pictures. I would love to see the solution. I could take some pictures of my topper on that slide out if you think it would help you.

Tony
              I have a similar configuration in my 2970RL with the awning and slide topper. My dealer installed our toppers before we picked it up. You shouldn't need to fabricate bracket. You need to use a 'low profile' bracket. It is different than the one they used on the street side topper.
              Mike & Lisa
              Central Florida
              2021 Imagine 2970RL
              1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Rgpracer Welcome to the family and the forum!
                Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                Nash County, NC
                2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by Rgpracer View Post
                  Thanks
                  ray
                  “Save Money”? FWIW: I go on the roof with an 8 dollar broom and a can of slide rubber lube spray, do my thing and bring in the slide, works great, saves a ton of money. My philosophy is to keep it simple and truly save money. SCPO(SW), USN, Ret.
                  Dave and Sue
                  2020 GD 2250RK
                  2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
                  Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
                  GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
                  SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

I have a 15 303 was wonder what size of topper you used on the slide and if you had the part numbers for the awning under the topper. I would like to do the same to my 303
                    2015 grand design 303rls
                    2011ram 2500 4x4 CC short bed

Comment

Originally posted by pendl1285 View Post
                      I have a 15 303 was wonder what size of topper you used on the slide and if you had the part numbers for the awning under the topper. I would like to do the same to my 303
                      Cate&Rob -- not sure who pendl1285 was addressing but probably for you.

pendl1285--welcome to the forum. Please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members where you can learn all about this forum, tagging, quoting, etc. You'll find it here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by pendl1285 View Post
                        pendl1285

If you use the search tool in the upper right corner, on "Slide Topper" or similar words, you will find many discussions on the installation of slide toppers. The 303 is a bit unique in that the topper over the dining table slide needs to be shorter than normal to clear the arm of the main awning . . . but, it can be done. Also, the toppers will be nearly horizontal (rather than sloped down towards the outboard side as recommended by the manufacturer) because of the roof slope towards both the rear and the front. Attached are the topper PNs supplied by another early 303 owner on this forum. (Canyonlight Dan, I think)

Rob
                        Attached Files
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

pendl1285

If you use the search tool in the upper right corner, on "Slide Topper" or similar words, you will find many discussions on the installation of slide toppers. The 303 is a bit unique in that the topper over the dining table slide needs to be shorter than normal to clear the arm of the main awning . . . but, it can be done. Also, the toppers will be nearly horizontal (rather than sloped down towards the outboard side as recommended by the manufacturer) because of the roof slope towards both the rear and the front. Attached are the topper PNs supplied by another early 303 owner on this forum. (Canyonlight Dan, I think)

Rob
                          Thanks Rob,
                          I have been looking for that information. (Attachment.

@pendl1285
                          Remember, the curb slide slide topper gets off set to allow the main awning arms to clear during extending and retracting.

Steve
                          2018 Reflection 303
                          2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
                          Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

pendl1285

Attached are the topper PNs supplied by another early 303 owner on this forum. (Canyonlight Dan, I think)

Rob
                            Hey Rob, it wasn't me but sure nice of whoever did so. Always good to have type of information with pictures to help others.

Rob - you may want to share a picture of your smart thinking inner tube idea placed between the the top of slide and bottom of slide topper to help prevent rain/water "puddle sagging" on top of the slide topper. You Engineer folks arrive at some outstanding technical solutions to many challenges but even we mere mortals can appreciate and understand quick and effective solutions like the inner tube idea ! On, and let's not forget the RV entry door umbrella idea either !

Dan

Dan & Carol

Comment

Canyonlight
                              Hi Dan,

You and I (and a few others) have been collaborating on 303 projects for so long now, that none of us can remember who was the first to come up with which idea!
                              (It couldn't be that we are getting old . . . could it )

The golf umbrella was a good idea to span the gap between slide topper and main awning (but, I am not sure that I was the first to come up with this). The innertube support for the topper proved to be more trouble than it was worth. I realized that a puddle on the topper damps the topper motion and keeps them quiet. The only time our toppers flap in the breeze is when it hasn't rained for a while. After 6 years of leaving the puddles on the toppers, there does not appear to be any adverse affects.

Rob
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Cate&Rob; 12-22-2021, 03:17 PM.
                              Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X