Slide out use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide out use

If we are just camping overnight with no hook ups can we stay attached to the truck? also can we use our slide outs?

larment You can, you will want to try and be as level as possible. We frequently do this on travel days.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

larment we do this on some quick overnight stops, like ncitro said try to get as level as possible. We also typically put the front jack down to take some of the bounce out.
      2019 Reflection 312BHTS
      2018 Silverado 2500 Duramax

Comment

larment I'd be cautious of leaving the TV attached unless the unit is already level. The unit needs to be level both ways for the slides to work correctly. Also depending on how high you need to get the front of the unit, you may be trying to pick up the rear of the truck which adds a lot of stress to the jack. If you do leave the TV attached, disconnect the 7way plug to avoid possibly draining the TV battery.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

larment Welcome to the family and the forum!
          Please excuse my being late to welcome you but I haven’t been able keep up with anything but life for the last month.
          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
          Nash County, NC
          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

larment , you might want to check out https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members for assistance on filling out the signature block. Adding the year, make, and model of your rig will help in the future.

You don't say if your trailer is a bumper pull or a fiver, either way I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the owner's manual probably says to disconnect from the trailer before leveling, and to level before extending the slides. There are two possible reasons for the manual making these statements. The first is that the engineers/designers could not say with 100% confidence that nothing bad would happen if the TV is left connected. The second is that something bad did happen at some time some where.

I'm not saying don't do it. As you can see from the previous responses, people do often leave the TV attached and with out incident. I'm just saying that there is risk involved, some mentioned in earlier posts, and it becomes a question of what you are personally comfortable with.
            John
            2018 Momentum 395M
            2018 Ram 3500 Dually
            Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

larment Only you can decide what level of risk you are willing to accept. For us, over many years of r.v. travel, we try to do what we can when we park for the night to get "fairly" level, then say that's good enough for over night. We never unhook overnight and have never had any issues. If you notice the slides not wanting to work properly you are in the wrong spot, try again, get a nights rest and move on. There are lots of places for a one night rest. Now for a little off topic. One thing to keep in mind is that it is often not appreciated, by store or parking lot owners, if you put down jacks or unhook in most spots for a one night stay. I know of several spots that no longer allow overnight use due to this abuse of their generosity. Over the last several years we see a lot of people who do not know this or choose to ignore this basic courtesy. None of us should be that person who causes a loss of ability to stay unobtrusively in places.

Dave
              flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Working...
              X