Rack and pinion bolts loose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack and pinion bolts loose

So looking at my slides and lubing some parts I noticed where the arms connect to the slide via two bolts that one is very loose and the other three are slightly loose. It also appears my slide has shifted base off the rust and angle of one of the arms. Two questions. 1. How do I readjust the arm back to original position? 2. What is the torque specs on the nuts? Click image for larger version

Name:	20211009_125833.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	67638Click image for larger version

Name:	20211009_125919.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	67639Click image for larger version

Name:	20211009_125809.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	67640
    Brent, Krista, and our 6 year old nugget
    Cruising with two Black Labs, Lestat and Pandora
    2021 Ram 3500 Dually Long Bed 4X4 HO Cummins (Blue Sapphire)
    2021 Imagine 3110BH (The Dog House)

Also I am wondering if I bring in the slide if the bracket will go back to original place then I can try to tighten them then.

Comment

At the bottom of the bracket where the loose bolts are there is a vertical bolt that pushes up against the bracket to lift the slide up, make sure this has the lock nut secured and did not move. If you pull the slide in and it seals and seats well then there should be no need to move the bracket up to cover the rust that you see, the bracket may have been moved after assembly. These brackets are assembled by Lippert when the frame is made and painted , at GD when unit is assembled it may get moved to a different position thus showing a non painted area.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        At the bottom of the bracket where the loose bolts are there is a vertical bolt that pushes up against the bracket to lift the slide up, make sure this has the lock nut secured and did not move. If you pull the slide in and it seals and seats well then there should be no need to move the bracket up to cover the rust that you see, the bracket may have been moved after assembly. These brackets are assembled by Lippert when the frame is made and painted , at GD when unit is assembled it may get moved to a different position thus showing a non painted area.

Brian
        Brian,

This makes since regarding the rust. Do you know the torque specs of the bolts by chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Love2GoFastUSCG View Post

Brian,

This makes since regarding the rust. Do you know the torque specs of the bolts by chance?
          I do not know the torque. I think they are 3/8" bolts, 20 lbs should be a good start or just "good and tight" by hand.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I hand tightened them for now until I get the specs. I closed the slide and everything seemed tight so hopefully it is a Brian said and that is where the initial install was. I'm going to put some rust primer on it then paint mark lines on the bolts for future reference.

Comment

So looking at my slides and lubing some parts I noticed where the arms connect to the slide via two bolts that one is very loose and the other three are slightly loose. It also appears my slide has shifted base off the rust and angle of one of the arms. Two questions. 1. How do I readjust the arm back to original position? 2. What is the torque specs on the nuts? Click image for larger version

Name:	20211009_125833.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	67638Click image for larger version

Name:	20211009_125919.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	67639Click image for larger version

Name:	20211009_125809.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	67640
              You could give Lippert a call. They should be able to help trouble shoot and have the bolt torque specifications.
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

You could give Lippert a call. They should be able to help trouble shoot and have the bolt torque specifications.
                Yeah I honestly thought about that but figured someone might know on here.

Comment

Yeah I honestly thought about that but figured someone might know on here.
                  Lippert 2 x 2 Electric Slide System https://support.lci1.com/through-fra...c-slide-system

Lippert's manuals don't seem to have torque listed. Just "3. Tighten the carriage bolts (Fig. 6A)"
                  https://support.lci1.com/documents/s...llation-manual
                  Gene and Kim
                  2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                  2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post

Lippert 2 x 2 Electric Slide System https://support.lci1.com/through-fra...c-slide-system

Lippert's manuals don't seem to have torque listed. Just "3. Tighten the carriage bolts (Fig. 6A)"
                    https://support.lci1.com/documents/s...llation-manual
                    Appreciate the link. This document is awesome and will help me make sure that my slide is good to go. I will add checking the paint pen lines I am going to put on the nuts on the slide as part of my checklist now.

Comment

Working...
                    X