Mouse Entrance Under Dining Room Slide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mouse Entrance Under Dining Room Slide

We have a 2020 Imagine 2670MK with a mouse problem. While packing for a recent trip we had both slides out and believe we discovered how they were getting in. When the dining room slide is out, there is a 3-4 inch hole around a 1 3/4 inches diameter rod that extends or retracts with the slide. The rod has a bell fitting that seal off most of the hole when slide is retracted but does not stay centered in the hole so not sure if a seal is missing or just design flaw. I have sealed it off but have to remove the seal to extend the slide and reposition to seal while extended. Please see pictures for more details. Waiting for dealer for a response.

Unfortunately that is the way they are made. The hole needs to be that way , but maybe not that large, so the slide cylinder can move while the slide is moving in and out. It looks like you have put rubber around the cylinder which is good to seal the hole and allow the cylinder to move. Not really much else to do there.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

It is not rubber. I have sheet of hard plastic with gorilla tape on it so I must move it to use the slide. The cylinder does not stay center on hole as it closes. I tried some rubber gasket material I could seal either open or closed but not both.

Comment

Originally posted by RCriswell View Post
        It is not rubber. I have sheet of hard plastic with gorilla tape on it so I must move it to use the slide. The cylinder does not stay center on hole as it closes. I tried some rubber gasket material I could seal either open or closed but not both.
        Wow that is crazy. I am going to check my imagine to see the gap. I have not had a mouse problem yet but something to keep a eye out. Thank you for posting.
        Brent, Krista, and our 6 year old nugget
        Cruising with two Black Labs, Lestat and Pandora
        2021 Ram 3500 Dually Long Bed 4X4 HO Cummins (Blue Sapphire)
        2021 Imagine 3110BH (The Dog House)

Comment

Long shot here but I'll suggest anyway.

Try some type of plastic (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) using a hole saw, cut a hole in the middle of a piece that is about 1" larger on all sides than the opening. Make a cut from the edge to the hole ( this is so the piece can be placed over the ram). Then using self tapping screws, place two to three screws along each side of the plastic NOT THROUGH IT, letting the head of the screw over lap the edge of the plastic. Do not run the screw tight to the plastic so that it can slide vertically in the area between the screws.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	mouse-cover.PNG
Views:	285
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	68508
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

RCriswell Joesph has a very good idea and great diagram. My solution was very similar to his though I used hardware cloth to allow for moisture escape etc. What I did was cut the hardware cloth about 1.25 inch larger than outside of hole with a 1/8 inch excess around the tube and a slice to slip over the tube. I created 2 "Z" brackets out of flashing for the wire to slide in and glued them on with silicone. I actually remove the wire cover before closing the slide then re-install when I put the slide out. Either solution works well. I also sealed around the rack rods ( the ones with teeth) with silicone. On a side note I did this out of caution, not because of mouse intrusion, it just seems a very likely spot for those critters to enter. A more likely spot for entrance is at the bottom corners of the slides. I use brass wool scrubbing pads to block those spots on our unit. It seems some units are more prone to mice than others and I would make darn sure that there are no other tiny holes around the belly that might let them in. Good luck.

Dave
            flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Working...
            X