Slide out horizontal adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide out horizontal adjustment

We are presently in Alabama on our way down to Florida. After getting dining room slide in to move to our present campsite, the lower right side was not coming in as flush as left about a 2” difference at bottom. Once set up at new campground, I worked on adjusting it as best I could followed Lippert videos and manual. I was able to get the opening difference between left and right side within 1/2” at bottom. Interior adjustment is within 1/8” of either side. I went and checked the vertical adjustment and it was off as well on both arms so I got that within 1/4” of tolerance. My big issue is the horizontal adjustment, I loosened the carriage bolts as per instructions but I can’t move that slide any which way. Is this something that requires some special technique or tool. Or maybe brute strength?? The difference in horizontal adjustment is pretty significant and I worry about damaging seals if I don’t get this addressed.

Should I just have a dealer do this ? If so, any recommendations as to where I could find a qualified person?
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

Hi Vivian,

To reposition the slide horizontally, you need to “zig-zag” it in and out. Pushing on one end while powering the slide in one direction and the other end in the other direction will usually be enough. The trick is to then fine-tune the adjustments following the LCI procedures, to keep the slide from walking back to where it had migrated in the first place.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      Hi Vivian,

To reposition the slide horizontally, you need to “zig-zag” it in and out. Pushing on one end while powering the slide in one direction and the other end in the other direction will usually be enough. The trick is to then fine-tune the adjustments following the LCI procedures, to keep the slide from walking back to where it had migrated in the first place.

Rob
      I can hardly move it without throwing my body at it, LOL! Wish I had a video of how it is done, LCI has a video on their site but it’s a tiny little mock up. This slides is huge in comparison. Rob, it’s the dining slide so held by two arms which seem already flimsy to me to zig zag the box over it. But I trust you know what you are talking about, just can’t visualize it.
      Vivian
      2018 Reflection 303rls
      Demco Recon

Comment

I would try to move the arms where they are attached to the slide. Move them in the opposite direction you want the slide to move and then run the slide out and back in. I would guess that it would be easier to move the arms than the slide box itself.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The “zig-zag” is maybe 1/8” per in/out cycle of the slide. The dining slide is difficult because it is sliding plastic-to-plastic rather than on rollers. When the slide is at the mid-point of travel, it reaches a balance point where hand pressure can tip it in/out (a small amount). This might be the point where you can loosen or adjust the drive connections (as Brian describes) to get a small shift in one end of the slide.

A caveat to this . . . I have not done this myself. I watched it being done to my kitchen slide by Grand Design techs (at a Rally). The three or four of them had no problem “man handling” that slide to where they wanted it. .

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob, I reread Lippert instructions and it notes slide must be 3/4 of the way in to do this process. I watched the video and it did not mention this at all, now that you mention when slide is at tipping point it’s easier, I wonder if this is my problem? I had it extended all the way out could not budge arm or plate (I tried a hammer on plate).

Vivian
            2018 Reflection 303rls
            Demco Recon

Comment

Cate&Rob amp; your mention of that tipping point worked. Ran the slide halfway in, the 3/4 way did not work. Bumped it with entire body to make it move. I got both sides equal and then tightened the bolts back up and ran the slide in and out. Bad news is, it’s back to the way it was. I just can’t figure it out, how is it that the box could go back to the same out of center position. Feeling defeated……
              Vivian
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              Demco Recon

Comment

I finally have the answer to why I can’t get the horizontal adjustment or vertical to match other side. The tech at the dealer I went to in Florida told me that GD did not make the opening square. So it’s impossible to adjust it and did nothing but charge me $90 for that bit of advice. Meanwhile, GD said I am out of warranty so not their problem and as long as seals are touching the slide it’s all good. Even though one side will tear up my seal eventually they don’t recommend EVER adjusting a slide out.

Is this true? One should never adjust a slideout?
                Vivian
                2018 Reflection 303rls
                Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                  I finally have the answer to why I can’t get the horizontal adjustment or vertical to match other side. The tech at the dealer I went to in Florida told me that GD did not make the opening square. So it’s impossible to adjust it and did nothing but charge me $90 for that bit of advice. Meanwhile, GD said I am out of warranty so not their problem and as long as seals are touching the slide it’s all good. Even though one side will tear up my seal eventually they don’t recommend EVER adjusting a slide out.

Is this true? One should never adjust a slideout?
                  "Never" is a strong word. Maybe a better way of saying it is if there's no mechanical issue with the slide (wear, something broken, etc) it is very unusual that an adjustment would be required.

FWIW, I think my kitchen slide has the same issue as yours. The slide seal replaced at the factory still doesn't work quite right all the time. I regularly find it jammed between the trailer wall and the slideout. One of these days (when I'm home) I'm going to play with the adjustments just to see how it all works (for myself).
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson i am going to try and get it to take some pressure off the seal when I get back to my lot which is level. At moment just lubricated it so it has less issues when slide comes in. But what is upsetting is dealer charged me for basically doing nothing and GD could care less that slide out opening was never square to begin with. As you know, I am a regular at their factory unfortunately. Just tired of dealing with GD “quality” issues.

If one speaks to the maker of the system (Lippert) they recommend adjustments when needed and even put out videos and information on how to. Generally it’s pretty easy to do.
                    Vivian
                    2018 Reflection 303rls
                    Demco Recon

Comment

Working...
                    X