Slide-out interior seal stop repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide-out interior seal stop repair

The sides and top of slide-outs have these stops/boards/things that live behind the decorative trim. Two of my side stops, one in the bedroom and the other in the dining room had become loose or pried out to the point that they weren't pressing against the interior seal as they should. This was caused by extending the slide-outs and then discovering that this stop had drug something across the floor and whatever is was became stuck between it and the wall. The slide power systems are quite powerful and the damage from these events is extensive. The bedroom slide-out is powered by a Schwintek and the dining room is a rack and pinion.

Pillows are our most frequent offenders followed closely by blankets, slippers and dog chew toys. The item is dragged across the floor and when lodged in place it is below the first screw that holds this board to the aluminum framing around the perimeter of the slide-out. There is quite a bit of leverage involved and the screws pull out of the aluminum. There appears to be something inside of the aluminum like soft wood but the screw's real purchase is in the aluminum. Repair is made by relocating the screw above or below it's original position into fresh aluminum. The board is made out of chips and glue and it needs a new pilot hole for the screw and a countersink for the screw head. The aluminum got a pilot hole as well but very small as to allow as much purchase as possible for the screw. The bedroom board needed the two lower screws relocated, the dining room needed all of the screws relocated. I reused the screws that had either pulled out or were loose.

The trim pops right off with the help of a thin prybar. The trim fasteners are pneumatically applied T head nails and when prying the trim off most of the T heads pull through the trim leaving a nice pilot hole for a colored panel nail. I found these in walnut color at the hardware store, a perfect match. The dining room board had seen a lot of action and the damage extended to the trim across the top as well so I used a lot of these panel nails in the process of reattaching the trim.

I looked through all the 'Slide-Outs' posts and thought I would add this to the lot. I was agonizing over this beforehand because I am no carpenter and I really sweat when it come to trim work. It came out nice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aluminum slide frame.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	69005Click image for larger version

Name:	Aluminum slide frame screw hole showing interior.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	69004Click image for larger version

Name:	Colored panel nail.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	69007Click image for larger version

Name:	Factory trim for comparison.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	69009Click image for larger version

Name:	Trim replaced with panel nails.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	69008

The factory trim on the left, their putty is smeared over the T head nail. My repair on the right, the panel nail matches quite well, can you see the nail in the crown molding?
    Attached Files
    Vic and Barb
    2021 315RLTS

Shiny side up I've had decent luck with toothpicks and wooden match shafts (remove all of the fire stuff) and urethane glue shoved in stripped holes on other projects outside the camper. Pack it as tight as possible with the toothpick after wetting and applying glue, i've even used a hammer to help pack it tight. Let the glue dry and then install a screw.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Yes, Vic Shiny side up - things like this happen more than we know and want. Nice job on the repair ! Thanks for sharing the details and pictures.

Dan
      Dan & Carol
      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Working...
      X