Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things you didnt even know you didnt even know.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things you didnt even know you didnt even know.

I ended up doing a deep dive into the through frame slide adjustment process on our 337RLS. I noticed that the door side slide was no longer centered in the opening. The rear outer wiper seal was tight and the front was extended to where it almost didnt touch the slide. I started looking for info on how to adjust the horizontal on this slide. The search led me to the Lippert site and their online training. After completing the course I felt I was ready to tackle the adjustments. I ran the slide out and inspected underneath using my newfound knowledge and found that the rear jack bolt was missing and the slide had dropped slightly on that arm. I looked further and found both of the room bracket carriage bolts were loose on the rear and one of the fronts was finger loose and the other had maybe 20# of torque on it. I started by finding a new jack bolt in my fastener stash and installed it. I started with the horizontal and got the slide moved about 1/2" forward and centered in the opening. I then adjusted the jack bolts for the tilt and backed the stop can off a couple turns to pull the slide in a little better. Now it is exactly where it should be and snug to the wall when its in.
    I am glad I caught the issue before the loose slide did any real damage to the seals.
    I will say that the Lippert online classes are very well done and I tackled this with confidence due to the training.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Thanks for the update. I scan the website for things just like this. Your title to the post is so 'RV owner'. Yup, we are working our way to a black belt in almost useless information.

I spend a lot of time on my back underneath the trailer looking for things amiss, that's why my trailer parking spot is now smooth concrete. The previous crushed basalt was killing me. One afternoon repairing a stabilization jack shredded my cardboard box creeper and did a number on my knees in spite of wearing knee pads.
    Vic and Barb
    2021 315RLTS

Comment

I am by design lucky that I have a concrete floor in my pole barn along with a natural gas wall heater. I dont keep the heat on all the time but it sure comes in handy when theres a project.
      Sure makes owning an RV a lot easier. Its currently tucked away all covered with detailer spray and shiny just like it was new

Comment

Great share! Time to check out the Lippert site!
        Phil & Jenn | North Central WA
        2022 Reflection, 31MB (Pkg's: Power, Arctic, 2nd AC, Solar)
        2021 F350 Tremor, 6.7L Diesel, SRW

Comment

Wonder how much that would have cost to have fixed at a dealer?
          John & Kathy
          2014 Reflection 303RLS
          2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

I shudder to think about the cost, even though it was a pretty straightforward fix. Personally I would charge about an hour of labor. I did have to run the slide in and out a number of times and check clearances. Its one of those jobs that once youve done it the next ones are easier and faster.
            Based on what I found we are guessing that someone at some point was making adjustments on it and was pulled away by a phone call or nature and then came back to the job and forgot that they left everything loose
            Given my past experiences with our dealer I suspect it would have been required to sit in their back lot for 2 months and then once they got it in they would take another month to order the jack bolt (I had one in my stash)
            I havent had to take either of our GD trailers back to the dealer, fortunately I have been able to do whatever repairs they have needed by myself. If theres ever anything big required it will go back to the factory service center so someone who actually has some skills can repair it.

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
              If theres ever anything big required it will go back to the factory service center so someone who actually has some skills can repair it.
              Well, you tackled the slide. What's bigger than a slide?

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Our 2012 Open range required the sidewalls of all 3 slides to be replaced due to delamination from poor sealing methods. We took it back to Shipshewana for that.
                You might have noticed that I have no faith in our dealer, my disdain for them is well earned.

Comment

I have had to adjust my dining slide on my 303rls because after 7 months of travel, it was not closing at bottom near entry door. After lots of Lippert video instruction, I was able to get the retracted and extended seal within 1/8”. However, I could not get the horizontal adjustment right and took it to the dealer, $125 later dealer said it was impossible to adjust because GD did not make the opening square…… GD won’t help me figure it out either. I don’t believe either dealer or GD. Will look into the classes mentioned, thank you,
                  Vivian
                  2018 Reflection 303rls
                  Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                  Demco Recon

Comment

Having toured the plant that builds the sidewalls and seen how they weld the frames I have a hard time believing the opening isnt square. Its a pretty precise operation.
                    Exactly what "horizontal" adjustment are you trying to make ? With all the seals in place I would think it near impossible to even tell IF the opening was out of square.

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
                      Having toured the plant that builds the sidewalls and seen how they weld the frames I have a hard time believing the opening isnt square. Its a pretty precise operation.
                      Exactly what "horizontal" adjustment are you trying to make ? With all the seals in place I would think it near impossible to even tell IF the opening was out of square.
                      I thought the same but like you, loosened bolts and tried to move the slide box towards rear of coach. It just did not budge so I tried tapping the arm brackets and was able to get them moved just a bit but not enough to do anything. So took to dealer for help since I figured they could do this with more people to help. That is when they told me my box opening was out of square and could not do anything about the horizontal adjustment. Unfortunately, I did not ask for more specifics as to how they arrived at that conclusion such as what measurements they took to verify. Grand Design will not help me either, they claim this is normal as slide seals are touching box and not to try and adjust it. I am not happy with this response as they actually removed the slide a year ago and replaced all the seals.

I will attempt this again later this month as I have some strong friends that will be arriving to help and see if the box will budge. Did you have the box extended fully when you did this or partially in?

I have attached photos of how much is on rear side and door side plus it is tearing my wiper seal.

Attached Files
                      Vivian
                      2018 Reflection 303rls
                      Demco Recon

Comment

Vivian,

I would get back in touch with GD to let them know that the seals that they replaced a year ago are tearing again, they may do something about this, send them the pics as well.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                          Vivian,

I would get back in touch with GD to let them know that the seals that they replaced a year ago are tearing again, they may do something about this, send them the pics as well.

Brian
                          I did Brian and they gave me a case number then told me to have slide box checked for square at Lazy Days. When I reached out again to get more info on what lazy days was supposed to verify and what info was needed, GD then said that after speaking with a tech there, seals looked normal. I had more to say but person I was in contact with at GD basically told me warranty up and no help from them.

Sorry got dates mixed up as had so many factory visits last two years. It will be 2 years this coming June on that repair.
                          Last edited by Beachcamper; 02-12-2022, 12:11 PM.
                          Vivian
                          2018 Reflection 303rls
                          Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                            Vivian,

Brian
                            Brian, thank you for prodding me to try again with GD. I got very lucky Christine is helping me out and scheduled a trip to service center to verify if dealer was truthful or not. Have an appointment set

Vivian
                            2018 Reflection 303rls
                            Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post

Brian, thank you for prodding me to try again with GD. I got very lucky Christine is helping me out and scheduled a trip to service center to verify if dealer was truthful or not. Have an appointment set
                              Vivian,

Always glad to "prod" somebody, glad that GD is going to look at this for you and I am sure you will keep us informed.

Brian
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X