Slide out on new 2021 2500RL Nothing but a problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide out on new 2021 2500RL Nothing but a problem

I bought my imagine 2021 2500RL in Feb 2021, lived in it for 30 days I the month of March everything functioned well. I came home 1300 mile trip back to Utah, all worked fine, next trip was a 4 nighter in May, all worked good, came home was cleaning up trailer and when putting slide out in the out position it started to drag and stopped going out. I inspected everything and found nothing visibly wrong or blocking slide out, so I tried to retract it back in and it started to bind with the front side stopping while the left kept coming in. I ran the slide back out and was able to retract back in with no issues. Called the dealer and took the trailer in for repair, they claimed replace the H-column. At dealer all worked well so brought trailer home, set it up, leveled, etc, and started to run slide out out and it basically went through the same issue not wanting to go out, binding, stopping etc. Called Grand Design and had a mobile RV Repair come out and assess. Long story, replaced H-column again, and upper and lower tracks, new seal. The H-column on the 2nd repair was apparently a new design from the original. Slide out working fine now. Used trailer for e short trip the rest of the year. This week went out to trailer to get ready for a two month winter trip to the southern US, And tried to move slide out to out position and it started to bind and make noise on the rear (left) side, not the side that had been repaired. I managed to get trailer back in and then out all the way but the rear side was making noise like it was tracking wrong. I expected the track and it appeared to be rubbing and chewing into the track teeth. Called the mobile repair he came out and assessed the H-column, motor and upper and lower tracks need replaced.
    Basically after 3 times using and minimal In and outs with the slide out I will have had to replace the slide out mechanically tracking system.

Sorry for the long story, but appears the Schwintek slide out system is not a well design system. Has anyone else been grounded from using their trailer because the slideout is not reliable?

Frustrated in Utah…

Rsdljd1 -- first, welcome to Grand Design's (technical) Forum. This is a place where owners help owners to repair and upgrade their Grand Design trailers. If you'd like to know more, check out the Welcome Letter here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

To your question: owner Todd_P recently went through quite a journey with his Schwintek. The full thread is here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...dd-slide-issue

You've done all the right things (contacting the dealer, calling Grand Design) so the only thing you can do at this point is keep at it--once the system works it does work well. If Todd's thread prompts you to investigate digging into the system yourself, there is a lot of information available on the lci1.com website ("LCI" = "Lippert", the OEM for what they call their "In-Wall" slideout.).

Don't hesitate to ask if you have a technical question whether you're doing work yourself or want to validate work someone else is doing.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Rsdljd1 Welcome to the family and the forum! Tens of thousands are working flawlessly, including ours. We also had a 18 foot slide on our class C that also worked flawlessly.

This link https://lippert.thinkific.com/ will lead you to online training thru the Lippert Technical institute. Once you have registered you can actually take online training with videos and power points. You may well find something that the mobile tech missed.
      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
      Nash County, NC
      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Thank you @howson for the shout out, I have been without power since Monday due to weather but It is back now.
        @Rsdljd1 If you have any questions I am willing to help where where I can. I found a lot of little issues that when combined added up to a major issue on my slide.
        One of the big items not detailed in the referenced thread were the shims I had to add to both the rollers and gear tracks to square the Schwintek system up to a poorly squared room.
        Once I was done, the room worked flawlessly and the motors only had a high pitch whine with no strain or loading.
        2021 Reflection 278BH
        2002 GMC 2500HD

Comment

I have the same year, same camper, purchased new. I would guess the slide hasn’t been out and in more than five times before we had problems. The dealer tells me rails are being damaged by the motors and they need replacing. Currently waiting on parts. There is also a question of whether it is going to be covered under warranty, if it’s not I will send the Wife into action😁 the original problem was the slide would come in a couple feet and then the left side would lag behind the right side until it would jam up and stop.

Comment

We have a 2022 25RL purchased in Nov last year. Same general problem exists on ours but not as acute. Initially, the drive gears were chewing up the tracks. The dealer "synced the drive motors and seemed to improve. However, it still does not sound good running in and out. Always sounds like somethings dragging. It appears to be a systemic issue with these drive systems.

Comment

Originally posted by jimndeb View Post
              It appears to be a systemic issue with these drive systems.
              It's not systemic to the design, issues are usually associated with an improperly installed system or a mechanical failure. As noted earlier in this thread, Lippert has an online course that will teach you all about these slides. There are measurements and visual inspections that you, the owner, can do that doesn't take much if any mechanical ability to execute.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3649.JPG Views:	0 Size:	57.8 KB ID:	86765My 2022 2500rl slide broke first trip out, waited 3 weeks for appointment then 2 weeks to look at, now ordering new rack for the right side of slide. (Note 2 months cant use it)
                Fyi; make sure motor cable is secure and tight where it pass through the floor . The cable got hung up on the lower slide track while it was coming in and caused the lower right side to break.
                Not sure why this cable is exposed while the left side is not. Note cable was not this loose until it got h on hung up on the track the track then it pulled excess cable into the trailer until it stopped.
                Up date
                MAY- July 1st still can not use my New trailer that was used one time in April, WAITING ON PARTS TO BE SENT TO GENERAL RV MT CLEMENS. Not sure I would ever do business with GD again Disappointed.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Frank L; 07-02-2022, 07:40 AM. Reason: Up Date

Comment

Originally posted by Frank L View Post
                  Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_3649.JPG Views:	0 Size:	57.8 KB ID:	86765My 2022 2500rl slide broke first trip out, waited 3 weeks for appointment then 2 weeks to look at, now ordering new rack for the right side of slide. (Note 2 months cant use it)
                  Fyi make sure motor cable is secure and tight where it pass through the floor . The cable got hung up on the lower slide track while it was coming in and caused the lower right side to break.
                  Not sure why this cable is exposed while the left side is not. Note cable was not this loose until it got h on hung up on the track the track then it pulled excess cable into the trailer until it stopped.
                  should this not have been caught at the factory final inspection?

Comment

My opinion is that the cable should of been ran down between the rack and the wall were there is plenty of room.

Comment

How did the cable get hung on the lower track? What part of the rack caught the cable? Just curious, as the rack doesn't really have any protrusions. I want to make sure it doesn't happen to me.
                      2020 Reflection 273MK
                      2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Dear Fellow GDers.

Help! I'm also having MAJOR issues with my 2500RL slide. I purchased the trailer new in 2020 and never thought the slide functioned properly. Originally, when I questioned the noise and vibrations of opening and closing, the salesman told me "that's normal and it just needs to be run several times". A few months later, I returned to the dealer with a propane leak and had them check the slide again as the bad noise and vibrations just didn't seem right. Again, I was told it was normal and they lubricated the slide and sent me on my way. Fast forward to 2022 and now it won't retract. See the pic below. Looked bad so I didn't attempt to use it. Lippert is telling me I need a completed slide system replacement. Praying that isn't the case. Any ideas GD or others?

Comment

tborchelt - Welcome to the forum, although I wish it was happier news that brought you here. Hopefully you have been lurking behind the scenes getting useful information before your first post . Either way, again, welcome

Looking at your picture, I noticed the following items, but please remember, my notes are free and I am by no means an expert. I will certainly be the first to admit that

- I am assuming this photo is from the bottom of the slide, and the column you are showing would be the 'left' one when looking at the side of the slide. IE, the slide room is on the left of your photo - You are missing an interior bulb seal on that column. You see the exterior seal, slightly pressed, but no interior
                          - The bearing block (the black box with the 'circle' in the middle, and wheel on the left) is not square to the slide rail. You can see the top part of the block overlaps the silver rail above the wheel, but there is a gap in the bottom. I would have to assume the bearing block should be square to the slide room
                          - The entire column looks twisted as it rises vertically, again this should be straight and square
                          - You are also missing the bottom drain cups and foam seals under the column. Although you may have removed them for the picture

To me, it looks like the system has gotten out of alignment, enough that it has put pressure on the bearing block, which then bent the column. If you can, take a look at the outside vertical face of that column, (the part that sits on the trailer wall) and check if it is bent. If the column is bent and out of alignment, I would have to assume, that a new column and rail assembly is needed.
                          2019 Imagine 2400BH
                          2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by tborchelt View Post
                            Dear Fellow GDers.

Help! I'm also having MAJOR issues with my 2500RL slide. I purchased the trailer new in 2020 and never thought the slide functioned properly. Originally, when I questioned the noise and vibrations of opening and closing, the salesman told me "that's normal and it just needs to be run several times". A few months later, I returned to the dealer with a propane leak and had them check the slide again as the bad noise and vibrations just didn't seem right. Again, I was told it was normal and they lubricated the slide and sent me on my way. Fast forward to 2022 and now it won't retract. See the pic below. Looked bad so I didn't attempt to use it. Lippert is telling me I need a completed slide system replacement. Praying that isn't the case. Any ideas GD or others?
                            Bought mine new in Feb. used once and has been broken since April and It may be fixed by August, lost the entire Summer.

Comment

2022 2500RL new the end of March. Several short trips no issues, Left San Diego mid May, pulled into Pueblo CO a week later and the slide was stuck in, the right side wouldn't move but about 1"

Earlier in the week, it made a loud bang when pushing it out and from there, the right side seemed to drag...

We spent a week with no slide out until we got to my cousins house in Parker CO and had an RV tech out. Took him over an hour to get it out 6" so he could remove the motor...

The lower wheel was out of square by almost 20 degrees, the slide box was shifted to the rear of the coach, gears seems to be chewing at the rails... he squared up the wheel, applied some silicone and at least got it working... syncing the motors (again) seems to have helped

It's now at the dealer, waiting on a report

Comment

Working...
                              X