Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 2800 BH Slide out Leak troubleshooting

Hi all!

I have 2021 2800bh that apparently leaks occasionally when the slide is pulled. I've had it to the dealer who hasn't been able to locate the source of the leak. They performed a pressure test with soapy water to look for bubbles. I've also doused the outside of the slide with the garden hose and haven't been able to find it either. I just can't seem to figure out where it is coming in from or create the leak.... I can't locate a water trail either, the puddles just "appear" occassionaly after a rain event..... The puddles present them at both corners of the slide on the floor. I've attached a pic of the most recent puddle which is on the master bedroom side, however as mentioned it has presented itself on the other corner as well. If anyone has any suggestions on where to look or share their own experiences it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Nate

If this slide is a Schwintek actuated slide then I would guess that water is seeping in on the aluminum rails mounted to the ends of the slide box on the outside. When ever the slide is retracted and then extended it leaves the puddle on the floor. It usually does not leak on the floor when the slide is out but the rails will hold a little water after a rain and when the slide is in it will deposit the water on the floor, especially after traveling. I have found this on our RV but have not really figured out the best fix.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Brian - thanks for the quick response. Although not positive, I am fairly certain this unit doesn't use the Schwintek slide out mechanism, but i wonder if a similar thing is still happening. I'll give that a closer look.

Thanks
      Nate

Comment

2800BHSYR -- my first thought was the same as Brian's then I read your reply. Sure enough, pictures online show the 2800BH uses an electric thru-frame slide.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2800BH.JPG
Views:	525
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	73554

To clarify the problem, when the slide is fully extended there is water coming into the camper when it rains? Or is there water on the floor after bringing in (or extending) the slide after a rain event?

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard,
          Thanks for the response. It only leaks when the slide is retracted (i.e. travel position). Water shows up after some rain events, not all. Its really quite bizarre. I consider myself pretty good at tracking down these sort of things, but this one has stumped me. The pic above of the puddles was after i picked it up from the dealer, didn't move the slide in or out, just picked it up and then parked it in my driveway. It was dry when i got it home. Puddle showed up after a rain event. Without moving the slide, i drenched the outside from above and on the sides, spraying water right at the gaskets - couldn't get it to leak. Nor could I find any evidence of water or wetness anywhere else. it must be some nook or cranny that isn't readily seen.

I did speak to Grand Design Tech, they speculate its a slide out seal, and suggested moving the slide halfway and then seeing if i can get it to leak. The dealer wants to try a smoke test, so i'll have them do that here once winter passes.

Comment

2800BHSYR -- do you know how the bulb and wiper seals work? (I won't bore you with info if you're already knowledgeable.)
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

howson I get the general concept, but feel to correct me if i am wrong - i won't be offended. The wiper seal, wipes along the slide on the way out to seal the slide, and the bulb seal gets compressed when retracted to form the seal.

Comment

Originally posted by 2800BHSYR View Post
                howson I get the general concept, but feel to correct me if i am wrong - i won't be offended. The wiper seal, wipes along the slide on the way out to seal the slide, and the bulb seal gets compressed when retracted to form the seal.
                Exactly. If water is penetrating around the slide when it is fully extended or retracted it's getting past a set of the bulb seals. It is not unusual to see the puddle in your picture if the slide is out, it's raining, and then the slide is retracted. Some water then does tend to run into the camper (normal and no big deal). But definitely should not when the bulb seals are compressed. Try a strong light source when it is dark inside and out to see if you can see light penetrating around the seals. Try this both fully extended and retracted. You may need an inspection mirror to peak around the interior trim when fully extended.

If the light test doesn't reveal any obvious problem gravity suggests the water must be coming from above. Have you inspected the roof line and every square inch above the slide? What I'm thinking is water is getting into the wall, then dripping down on top of the slide between the bulb seals. Not common at all, just spit-balling.

Below is a rough sketch I drew months ago that should give readers who aren't aware of the bulb/wiper seals an idea of how they work. The representation is not accurate for every configuration, but the principle is the same.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Seals.JPG
Views:	520
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	73565

Comment

2800BHSYR There are 2 sets of bulb seals on my trough frame slides. One inside and one outside. When retracted the outer one seals the slide, when extended, the inner one seals the unit.

I would look at the top corners of the bulb seals for cracks or mis alignments. Also when you retract the slide, are you waiting till you hear the mechanism ratchet? This will ensure that the slide is fully retracted and fully compressing the seal.

Let's not forget that water can run down the side of the side and follow the trim along the top or bottom. And YES, WATER WILL RUN UPHILL. The water may be getting on the trim and working it's way inside.

If you are getting water in the unit when extended, verify that the seals are flipping properly. 2 of the slide seals on my 303 do not flip completely every time the slide is moved. To correct this use https://www.amazon.com/Guard-Defende...s%2C127&sr=8-3 or something similar. I put them next to the seal when the slide is both extended and retracted at the top and bottom to start the flip.
                  Last edited by Jlawles2; 01-04-2022, 03:29 PM.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Great idea on doing a light test. I'll give that a try! I have inspected the seal and roof, but its worth doing it all again. Most recently, drenched the seals with a garden hose expecting to see some water leak in but no luck. I wonder if its a duration matter as well. I'll have to pay more attention to rain events to try to understand why it only happens some times. I spoke to the dealer today as well, and I'll be taking it to another branch location (about 2 hrs from me) where they have the capacity to do a smoke test as well, but i won't do that until spring time once the weather is a bit nicer and the roads aren't covered in salt. In mean time, i'll continue to troubleshoot....

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                      2800BHSYR There are 2 sets of bulb seals on my trough frame slides. One inside and one outside. When retracted the outer one seals the slide, when extended, the inner one seals the unit.

I would look at the top corners of the bulb seals for cracks or mis alignments. Also when you retract the slide, are you waiting till you hear the mechanism ratchet? This will ensure that the slide is fully retracted and fully compressing the seal.

Let's not forget that water can run down the side of the side and follow the trim along the top or bottom. And YES, WATER WILL RUN UPHILL. The water may be getting on the trim and working it's way inside.

If you are getting water in the unit when extended, verify that the seals are flipping properly. 2 of the slide seals on my 303 do not flip completely every time the slide is moved. To correct this use https://www.amazon.com/Guard-Defende...s%2C127&sr=8-3 or something similar. I put them next to the seal when the slide is both extended and retracted at the top and bottom to start the flip.
                      Jlawles2 Thanks for the reply. I'll give the corners a closer inspection - thank you. I also wait for the clicking when retracting and extending the slide. It only seems to leak when retracted, at least thats the only time i've noticed the puddles. Also thanks for the amazon link. I'll give those a look.

Thanks everyone for all the ideas and help troubleshooting! Its all very much appreciated.

Comment

2800BHSYR - this past summer we had a significant hail storm come through the area that caused water to infiltrate our slide when it was closed, just as you described. Just for reference, the storm produced enough hail, that there was still some on the ground when I went to check on our trailer about 3 hours after the storm; enough for me to want to hug my poor trailer. Anyways, I had found some water on the slide roof and some had run down to the floor when I checked on it in the evening.

I checked the top exterior bulb seal the next day in the daylight, and the only thing I noticed was our bulb seal in the one corner (same one that I found the water on the roof in the inside) was getting compressed slightly more on the very edge, leaving a very small gap. My guess is enough volume of water was coming down and managed to get past this small gap.

A week later, we had about 15-20mm of rain come down (enough to make it a very rainy day) and nothing had gotten in. Even today, that one storm is the only time I have found water on the closed slide roof. I hate these kinds of issues

I do wonder though if I should trim that little bit of the bulb seal in that corner so it sits better under the trim, maybe a 'project' for the spring. Does anyone have suggestions or advice if I should trim the bulb seal?
                        2019 Imagine 2400BH
                        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

StephenO Interesting! Yes its very bizarre which storm events actually result in the leak. I'll have to re-inspect the corners on mine. I got another recommendation to use a feeler gauge between the slide and bulb seal to see if there are slight gaps that may hard to visually observe. I have some good avenues to explore thanks to everyone's input!

Thanks again all!

Comment

The bulb seal should have a pan head retaining screw at each end, or maybe just one end, to keep it from sliding in the track. If the screw has backed out any that may be enough to prevent the bulb seal from compressing fully.
                            John
                            2018 Momentum 395M
                            2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                            Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
                              The bulb seal should have a pan head retaining screw at each end, or maybe just one end, to keep it from sliding in the track. If the screw has backed out any that may be enough to prevent the bulb seal from compressing fully.
                              That is a really good point, I'll check the retaining screw(s) to make sure they are fully seated.

I should also admit that when I had my small water intrusion, I had disconnected my trailer at our storage lot and left the nose slightly high to make hitching up 'faster'. That would have meant that the one corner of the slide where the water was, would have been lower than the other. Wouldn't surprise me in a heavy rainstorm that water would run down the bulb seal and find that corner
                              2019 Imagine 2400BH
                              2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Working...
                              X