Hydraulic leak on slide piston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydraulic leak on slide piston

Hello all, unfortunately I have another question for you at the beginning of our two month trip southwest. We have a 2019 Solitude 310 GK. While closing up this morning to head to our next destination I noticed a small puddle of hydraulic fluid under the kitchen slide. This had not been there the night before and we had just brought the slide in. The source was the hydraulic piston that pushes the slide out. (see attached photo) It appears to be leaking around where the piston comes out. I assume it is a seal of some type!?

Is this something a person can fix on the road without too much trouble?

If not, can it wait till we get back in March as long as we keep extra hydraulic fluid on hand to keep the reservoir full?

What is the best type of fluid to buy for this unit. (Lippert levelup)

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help
    2019 Solitude 310 GK
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW

Originally posted by SD McCart View Post
    Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
    Call Lippert for OEM guidance is my .02. https://support.lci1.com/contact

My educated guess is the seal on that actuator has failed or there's debris stuck between the seal and actuator. Yes, IMO you can probably continue on your trip as long as the fluid level in the reservoir is maintained.

One easy thing to try is cleaning the actuator arm when it's fully extended (with a soft cloth that's damp with just water). A few actuations of the slide after cleaning the arm and the seal may heal itself (if a small bit of debris is stuck in the seal it could dislodge).

If it gets too bad, replacing the actuator is a job (most) mobile RV technicians can tackle.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Is this something a person can fix on the road without too much trouble?
      1/ You will have to swap out cylinders to repair. Seal replacement won't be an option.
      2/ Lippert hydraulics uses automatic trans fluid.
      3/ Carry extra fluid and place a drip tray under the cylinder. It will likely slowly get worse.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

tmmilsys1997 -- not sure why your question was posted in this thread, so I created a new thread with your question. See Entering Kitchen Thru Slide

Howard (Moderator)
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Unfortunately it appears Lippert makes the cylinders with a crimped end vs any other method. Because of this, they are most likely not rebuildable.

You could find a hydraulic shop and see what the cost to have one built would be. They will probably offer welded vs threaded as an option to save money, but being steel vs Aluminum (I think that's what the LCI ones are) they can be cut apart and rebuilt.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks for your response. I had posted this question about the hydraulic leak last year about this time and somehow it resurfaced. I ended up keeping the fluid reservoir topped off for our two month trip. It did not leak too much to bring the level down quickly. I had both cylinders replaced at a repair shop when I got home. Thanks
            2019 Solitude 310 GK
            2018 Ram 3500 DRW

Comment

Thanks for your response. I had posted this question about the hydraulic leak last year about this time and somehow it resurfaced. I ended up keeping the fluid reservoir topped off for our two month trip. It did not leak too much to bring the level down quickly. I had both cylinders replaced at a repair shop when I got home. Thanks
              A spam post was poster here which brought this thread back to life.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
              X