Slide - Poor design/system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide - Poor design/system

I am thoroughly displeased with my 22mle Swintech slide. Last year I took it to the dealer when I was having the slide problem and they basically said I wasn't holding the switch in to zero out the system when I ran it back in. Ok, let me try that (8 trips later). Same issue! I have been holding the switch in for 10 - 15 seconds after it runs in. It goes crooked and then stops. I keep resetting (double clicking, bringing it back in the few inches) and then restarting the slide. It usually takes upwards of 6 or so times before I can finally get it to go out properly. Is there something else wrong? What am I missing or should I take it back to the dealer? I am afraid they are going to tell me I am not setting the "zero" each time I run it back in. I am about ready to sell this one and find a trailer with a different slide system. Frustrated!!!!

John and Lori
    2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
    2021 Imagine 22MLE

Originally posted by JHC View Post
    I am thoroughly displeased with my 22mle Swintech slide. Last year I took it to the dealer when I was having the slide problem and they basically said I wasn't holding the switch in to zero out the system when I ran it back in. Ok, let me try that (8 trips later). Same issue! I have been holding the switch in for 10 - 15 seconds after it runs in. It goes crooked and then stops. I keep resetting (double clicking, bringing it back in the few inches) and then restarting the slide. It usually takes upwards of 6 or so times before I can finally get it to go out properly. Is there something else wrong? What am I missing or should I take it back to the dealer? I am afraid they are going to tell me I am not setting the "zero" each time I run it back in. I am about ready to sell this one and find a trailer with a different slide system. Frustrated!!!!
    John,
    If the dealer says you're not holding the switch in...find someone else to look at the slide. The Schwintek works fine if the slide and mechanism is installed correctly.

For a thorough understanding of what's involved to isolate a problem, check out MyRVWorks video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxEYSstvICI

The purpose in watching the video is not so you can fix it yourself (which I'm guessing you do not want to do). The purpose for watching and getting knowledgeable is so you can pepper your service department with questions about what they checked and how they checked it.

Darren has a few other Schwintek-related videos on YouTube, too, that may be helpful. Do a search and you'll find them.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

This happened to our 22mle in the fall when I was winterizing. It turned out that the battery disconnect was off. The slide uses the battery mainly to operate. Check that and check your battery has a good charge.
      2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
      2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
      Andersen WDH
      Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
      2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
      2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

JHC - John, it doesn't sound like you are missing anything, and I'll just list it for completeness but I am sure you know this, ensure that you are level before operating the slide.

Honestly though, the Schwintek system is fairly simplistic, and like howson says, works fine when installed correctly. However, just because the system is simplistic doesn't mean it's easily serviceable, and IMO this is completely true with this style of slide. Again just my opinion, but this is why your dealer is telling you to 'just hold the switch' as to properly fix the system, it involves a lot of labor that maybe they are not ready to invest. Actually last year, we had our trailer in for some other service work at a non-dealership facility and I asked for their opinion on the Schwintek system, and they responded "The biggest cost is labor, as you need to really open up everything to get at the problem." They also went on to explain that some floorplans do not allow you to get to both motors easily when the slide is not extend, and unfortunately for me, this is very true on the 2400BH. After watching the videos referenced by Howard though, I can see why they said all that.

Coming back to your issue, since the problem is intermittent, I am tempted to say start with what you know. You stated that the slide is getting out of alignment, so I would start by taking every measurement I could and see where the alignment is incorrect. If the issue is an alignment left-to-right, perhaps one motor is failing. If the issue is top to bottom, well, this is where the serviceable factor comes in....
        ​​​​​
        I know that's not a direct answer, but hopefully the measurements tell you something to go off of.
        2019 Imagine 2400BH
        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

John, Do a sear for Schwintech. There is a thread where one of the members was having various issues. He ended up doing a complete QA on the install of the rails to find that there were install issues. This could be part of your problem.

Also as others have stated, verify the battery voltage before, during, and after moving the slide. This may help point you to the issue if it is battery related. You may simply have a bad battery.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I will review the videos. But a couple of response back to questions/comments:
            - It turned out that the battery disconnect was off. The slide uses the battery mainly to operate. Check that and check your battery has a good charge. I only run the slide when on shore power so I assume it isn't running off the battery but I will check.
            - You stated that the slide is getting out of alignment, so I would start by taking every measurement I could and see where the alignment is incorrect. It seems to start fine but then the rear motor seems to slow down/stop so it gets crooked and stops. Does that make sense?
            John and Lori
            2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
            2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Here's my take on your two questions / follow up.

​​​​​
              I only run the slide when on shore power so I assume it isn't running off the battery but I will check.
              ​​​​​​I've read that even on shore power, the slide system is 'sensitive' to battery voltage. Most likely due to the high initial current draw the system will need, it will rely on the batteries to keep the voltage up, debounce the voltage drop if you, will like a giant capacitor

It seems to start fine but then the rear motor seems to slow down/stop so it gets crooked and stops. Does that make sense?
              You're description makes sense, just not sure on why that motor slows down. I guess if we knew that, we would be able to solve the problem . The stopping of the entire system makes sense though, as the controller is probably sensing the two motors are not moving together, stops, and throws a code.

On that note, have you checked the slide controller for any codes? That may tell you what is happening. IE, of you get a low voltage/battery drop error, that likely points to the battery. If you get a motor over current, likely the system is binding up and the motor cannot move anymore.
              2019 Imagine 2400BH
              2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

A motor on one side will slow down via the controller to help the slow motor to stay synchronized since the system needs to track smoothly from side to side to prevent binding or worse, damage. It looks like a motor is on its way out or there is an install/alignment issue. If there is so much drag or friction from a bad motor and the system cannot slow down one side to stay in sync, the system will shut down.

Checking codes is good but the diagnostic system on these slides is not overly sophisticated.

Jim

Comment

JHC

Another "check" to throw in the mix,

If you know where the slide controller is you could swap the 2 motor wires to see if the problem transfers to the other motor, the cables should be labeled on the controller. If the problem transfers then it could be the controller, if it stays the same it could be the motor, wiring, or the drive mechanism associated with that motor. It also may turn out to be an issue with Compass Connect, maybe just a loose wire.

I can not direct you to where you will find the controller.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Savenger hunt time again. I think someone has already found the controller on the 22MLE

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...gine-xls-22mle post #3
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Question to the experts: Do you run your slide out before you set the stabilizer's? My 22mle Schwintec slide was finally fixed at the dealer several weeks ago. 3rd time in for the slide not working. The slide was out of spec from the factory so they reset the rails, etc. When I checked it out at the dealer, it was set up and the slide worked very well. No stabilizers deployed. Brought the trailer home and ran the slide out/in and worked fine. Set the stabilizers. Just yesterday, I went to run the slide out and she was bound up. Needless to say I left the dealer a voicemail. I went out this morning to get it ready to take it to the dealer. I raised the stabilizers and went inside to pull the awning in and decided to see if the slide would work. And it did! So I am guessing I shouldn't set the stabilizers until after I run the slide out? Thoughts? It would seem I shouldn't but I am concerned when we take it on a trip, the slide may bind up again. Really not happy with GD and Schwintek.
                      John and Lori
                      2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
                      2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Hi John,

I would be really surprised if your stabilizers are twisting the trailer enough to affect an in wall slide . . . but, anything is possible.
                        As mentioned earlier in this thread, I am wondering if you have a weak battery? If you draw down the battery with other 12V loads (awning, stabilizers, etc) before operating the slide this may affect slide operation. Moving the slide first gives it the best battery voltage.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

JHC -- I've done it both ways. In your case, stabilizers could be tweaking the frame which affects slide (a guess). No harm IMO to run slides first, then stabilize. (In every case trailer must be level prior to slide deployment.)
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

JHC you may be setting the stabilizers too tight.
                            Ted
                            2021 Reflection 310RLS
                            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Before deploying the slide check the frame for side to side level both in the front and the rear. I would check it before and after deploying the slide without stabilizers. I would not be surprised if you find the frame is a bit lower on one corner due to the weights in the trailer.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X