Electrical wiring damages Toe Kick board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical wiring damages Toe Kick board

GD Momentum 2021 G25 Toy Hauler: The issue I have is that the electrical wiring underneath the kitchen slide out puts pressure on the bottom Toe Kick panel until it breaks the board or pushes it away from the kitchen slide frame/flooring. The dealership repaired the board twice but did not fix the issue with the wiring. So the board came off again after putting the slide out.

Need help in finding a fix to get the electrical wiring to stay under the slide and not push on the toe kick?

Originally posted by jhanna4118@yahoo.com View Post
    GD Momentum 2021 G25 Toy Hauler: The issue I have is that the electrical wiring underneath the kitchen slide out puts pressure on the bottom Toe Kick panel until it breaks the board or pushes it away from the kitchen slide frame/flooring. The dealership repaired the board twice but did not fix the issue with the wiring. So the board came off again after putting the slide out.

Need help in finding a fix to get the electrical wiring to stay under the slide and not push on the toe kick?
    Typically there's a spring or other device that is used to guide a wire harness (or propane line) when a slide moves. This *should* be an easy fix on most slideouts. The board popping out is the symptom, not the problem (as it appears you're well aware).

Looking at a video of your camper and the floorplan it is obvious that kitchen slide is what's commonly called a Schwintek. (See red arrow pointing to the "rail" that's the clue.) The manufacturer of that slide (Lippert) calls it an "In-Wall Slideout". This type of slideout does not have much access underneath when the slide is deployed (see other red arrow pointing to where I'm referencing).

Click image for larger version

Name:	25G Kitchen Slide.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	81560

So why am I writing all this? Because to adjust the guides that hold the wire harness underneath the slideout (that I think stay between the bottom of the slideout and the floor of the camper), it appears to me the Schwintek must be hyper-extended out of the camper. (Not something you'd do.) The dealer is likely trying to avoid doing this work.

Maybe with the slide all the way in (and that kick plate removed) a clever technician could move where the harness is secured under the slide, but I don't think that's likely.

Now that you know what's going on, a conversation with your dealer's Service Manager on how they are going to fix the problem (not the symptom) may help you resolve the situation.

Please come back and report the resolution!

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I'm a bit confused. Is the trim board being dislodged when opening or closing the slide? Reason is trying to understand the full issue. Typically the umbilical of stuff gets pulled outward as the slide extends (umbilical would be exposed on the under side of the slide when extended) since the inlet for the utilities is usually (possibly not always) at the outside wall.

Can you please let us know if the umbilical is exposed under the slide on the outside? This will help to understand how the parts are planned to interact.

Being as you have already re attached the trim board, you may find it easier to remove the board and locate the spring or whatever should be in there, and see if there are any issues.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2 -- the OP will have to confirm, but I think the panel is dislodged when the slide goes out (see my explanation to the OP in the previous post). The bundle is effectively "pinched" under the slideout.

Look at any Schwintek slideout and there's no cables that protrude from the bottom. At least none that I've seen or looked at.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

I have cables under one of my Schwintek slides.

I am also trying to understand where this cable is coming from.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
            I have cables under one of my Schwintek slides.

I am also trying to understand where this cable is coming from.

Brian
            Please post a pic, Brian--definitely a new one to me. I'd like to see how GD routes the cables so they retract when the room moves on your 29RS. Every Schwintek I've seen retracts over rollers and then there's the weather seal across the bottom. I can't visualize how it works.

Comment

jhanna4118 , Jlawles2 and Country Campers ,

I readily admit this info could be wrong--it is a "best guess" derived from what I've seen and can extrapolate based on the evidence.

In the pic below, top left, you can see the salesman gripping the side of the kitchen slide. That implies a gap of some measure between the wall and the inside of the slide (the kick plate). The top right pic is just a moment later in the same video where you can see the referenced space.

What I think is happening is GD uses that gap to route the wires and propane up through the camper floor. All of the wiring and propane lines come up through the floor and are routed (like a snake) from one end of the front of the slide to the other so there's length to accommodate movement.

The OP's wires are "bunching" when the slide deploys thus putting pressure on the kickplate, which being held by a couple of staples pops out.

Again, could be completely wrong and if so...well, not the first time.

The OP could help resolve the question (or any other 25G owner) by posting a picture of the underside of the exterior of their kitchen slide. None of the videos I scanned showed the bottom. :(

Name:	Pics of 25G.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	81627

Comment

Name:	20220408_192333.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	81629 Here is a pic of my slide wiring.

​​​​​​​Jim

Comment

I don't know if this helps, or not. The 2400bh has a Shwintek slide. The photo is some dropped wiring under my slide during the PDI. Dealer repaired and no subsequent issue. The trailer is in storage, otherwise, I'd post an after pic.

Mike

Name:	2400bh slide.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	81635
                  Mike & Sonya
                  2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
                  Blue Ox SwayPro
                  2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

OK! So obviously the floor is not configured the way I'd envisioned it.

NoPeeking and Guest -- when you get a chance post pics with other vantage points, please. What I'd like to know is if the gap (to allow for wiring and such) is less than the total width of the slideout. I guess that would work. Again, I've never seen this so it's always good to learn something new.

This I do know with 100% certainty: a Schwintek slide is supported by floor rollers (or some other device secured to the trailer floor that the slide while move over) not the rails visible on the side of the slide.

Comment

Here is another pic. Waited til morning where it was 29F last night.

Name:	20220409_134618.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	81686

Comment

Guest -- thanks...but that pic does not help me visualize how the Schwintek moves in and out over those wires. That doesn't even look like the bottom of a Schwintek? I'm really confused now...sorry.

I cannot visualize how wires can penerate the floor of a Schwintek and still pass the seal. Below is how I visualize the slide's construction. I also know that the wires (motor harness and 12v power for lights) in the 315's bedroom Schwintek do not penetrate through the floor that projects outside of the seal with the slide fully deployed.

I'll have to look for an example when the moderators are touring the factory next week.

Name:	Cannot figure out.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	81696

Comment

Its a schwintek. There is a rubber seal at the top of the frame that closes the gap there. I can take a pic of the slide retracted in the morning for you. This matches your drawing. The wires will be pulled out of the way when the slide is retracted and will sit below the level of the floor and outside the frame.

Jim

Comment

howson Howard, the difference between a through frame and a in wall slide would only be the support/drive mechanism for the room. In either case, the wires should be able to penetrate the room at the outside wall just outside the sealing area when closed.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                              howson Howard, the difference between a through frame and a in wall slide would only be the support/drive mechanism for the room. In either case, the wires should be able to penetrate the room at the outside wall just outside the sealing area when closed.
                              Yes, I can see how that's possible. I've just never seen it myself.

Below is shot of the thru-frame on my 315 with the "cupped" seal to accommodate the wiring. The second pic shows the bottom of the Schwintek (with the thru-frame in the background) where there's obviously no such arrangement.

Name:	Cupped.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	81730

Name:	What I know.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	81731

What mystifies me is (getting back to the OP's post) is if the wires come through the outside edge of the floor (as it does on my kitchen slide), how are wires above the floor moving and dislodging the kick plate inside if indeed the configuration is as everyone is stating? Doesn't make sense to me. The wires above the floor should not move when the slide moves.

If the moderators walk the Momentum line next week I'm gonna find a 25G to look at!

Comment

Working...
                              X