Alternative to Schwintek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to Schwintek

I just watched a promising new solution to the Schwintek system on the All About RVs channel. It’s a US company that manufactures and installs a replacement for schwintek systems in Arizona. The system seems better built, and should be considered by manufacturers when putting the Schwintek system on heavier slides. My only question is how is the removal of the motor possible. Will have to dig further….

I wonder if manufactures such as GD would consider this for future builds.

https://youtu.be/bTH3kIByLYM
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

That's a nice looking system. It's what I would call a real rack and pinion system. Thanks for sharing.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Thank you in posting. The harness protection is great and with less motion on the motor the wiring would have less chance in chafing. Losing the plastic rollers and guides are also good. But if your designing a system with a nut at the bottom of the shaft to be used manually why not have a sealed brushless motor in that location? If the motor fails, remove it and use the shaft stub to manually retract the slide. With other designs the top mounted motor cannot be avoided but my large slide has plenty of room for a bottom mounted motor.

Jim

Comment

The motor has a low probability of failure. I like the ability to mechanically override the system. A drill motor and socket would work. More likely with this and other Schwintek style is water intrusion of water running along the rail tops. Add some sort of feature to divert the water off the rail before it enters the trailer.

Buy it before LCI gets it and screws it up. Had to add the editorial!
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
          I commented on YouTube (Jarred post) that I bet Lippert buys the company or this VRoom product within 6 months, tops.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
            The motor has a low probability of failure. I like the ability to mechanically override the system. A drill motor and socket would work. More likely with this and other Schwintek style is water intrusion of water running along the rail tops. Add some sort of feature to divert the water off the rail before it enters the trailer.

My slide failed due to wire chafing at the motor pig tail and then the motor failed due to water intrusion. With a sealed motor, and ease of replacement, this could be an excellent system. Yes Lippert would buy it and load it with plastic parts and steel on aluminum bushings.

Jim

Comment

We've already had to have the Schwintek serviced on our brand new trailer and we did not go to a GD dealer/service center and the shop I had it done at is a friend of the Vroom Slide inventor. We already discussed the fact that if mine goes wacky again, i will do this replacement. Great video and great to see their info out there. It won't be long folks will be waiting for many, many months to get an appointment. This issue is a regular daily topic on all the Imagine FB groups particularly. As the video mentioned, we had the Schwintek in our 337RLS bedroom for 7 years without a single hiccup but now that they are installing them on the longer slides and heavier slides they're getting tons of issues.

Fabulous to know there is now an alternative.

I should add that the shop I went to was hoping to get some technicians trained/certified in installing the Vroom systems.
              Paul and Deb Cervone
              2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
              2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
              2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I commented on YouTube (Jarred post) that I bet Lippert buys the company or this VRoom product within 6 months, tops.
                If you cant out sell them, buy them or sue them into bankruptcy.

The key difference between the Schwintec and a rack and pinion is the lack of the exposed edge of the gear teeth.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Paul & Deb View Post
                  We've already had to have the Schwintek serviced on our brand new trailer and we did not go to a GD dealer/service center and the shop I had it done at is a friend of the Vroom Slide inventor. We already discussed the fact that if mine goes wacky again, i will do this replacement. Great video and great to see their info out there. It won't be long folks will be waiting for many, many months to get an appointment. This issue is a regular daily topic on all the Imagine FB groups particularly. As the video mentioned, we had the Schwintek in our 337RLS bedroom for 7 years without a single hiccup but now that they are installing them on the longer slides and heavier slides they're getting tons of issues.

Fabulous to know there is now an alternative.

I should add that the shop I went to was hoping to get some technicians trained/certified in installing the Vroom systems.
                  We used to load drinks and heavy items in the bench seat storage and after the motor replacement, we moved to the under bed storage for heavy items to keep the slide as light as possible.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

We used to load drinks and heavy items in the bench seat storage and after the motor replacement, we moved to the under bed storage for heavy items to keep the slide as light as possible.

Jim
                    I also tend to put heavy items under the bench seat, but I have a through the frame slide.
                    Mike and (RIP Karen)
                    2021 2600RB
                    2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

I found that company when looking for options before repairing the poorly installed S***tech system on my trailer. I would have gladly handed them fistfuls of cash if I could have just ordered a kit and not needed to travel across the country to have them install it. I don't know what Lippert was thinking when recommending a system with watch sized parts for large slide-outs and further what Grand Design was thinking to go along with it. I know that I will never purchase another trailer with a S***tech equipped slide larger than a bedroom closet.
                      2021 Reflection 278BH
                      2002 GMC 2500HD

Comment

Chiming in here…use my brand new 2400BH twice and already can’t open the slide. The back goes out but the front does not…super happy and looking forward to this constant battle (from what I have read).
                        Bob-O
                        Imagine 2400BH | Champion 4650 Dual Fuel Generator | Solar Package | 200ah EnduroPower Lithium
                        2020 Ram 1500 Laramie | 5.7L w/eTorque | S&B CAI | 3.92 Axle | 6'4" Box | 4x4 | 2" Mopar Lift | SnugTop
                        Northern Colorado​

Comment

Working...
                        X