Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide floor sagging when retracted

Hello all,

I got the trailer out of winter storage yesterday and I noticed the floor on the slide appears to sag in the middle. We never sit in the recliners when the slide is retracted. Nor has anybody ever stepped on this corner (to the best of my knowledge). When I extend the slide it instantly "picks up" away from the floor as it moves out, so it isn't dragging on the linoleum flooring....as of yet.

Maybe it has always been like this and I just never noticed it, but I am wanting to know if there is anything I can... or should do about this.

Here is a pics of the retracted slide for those not familiar with the floor plan of a 22MLE:

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220422_145702741.jpg
Views:	1638
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	82858

When the slide is retracted, the floor nearest the Slide room walls sits about 1/2" off the trailer floor:

Name:	PXL_20220422_140401612.jpg
Views:	1437
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	82859

Name:	PXL_20220422_140511634.jpg
Views:	1331
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	82860

But in the center where the recliner and fridge sit, it is only off the floor a little bit. Enough to get the lip of the tape measure under there so maybe 1/16 of an inch?

Name:	PXL_20220422_140455644.jpg
Views:	1357
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	82861

It looks to me like the outer edge of the floor has sagged, as you can also see the trim molding has a gap.

Name:	PXL_20220422_140459455.jpg
Views:	1292
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	82862

Like I said above, when the slide is extended the floor "picks up" and is the proper height.

Name:	PXL_20220422_140646864.jpg
Views:	1300
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	82863

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill M.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost

BillM321 HI Bill. I not sure how your unit is in normal circumstance but we have a 2600RB that has a long slide for the dinette and recliners to live in. Our slide floor is very flexible as it moves and is stored for travel and has not changed and is perfect when extended. In my mind the sag of the slide floor has more to do with the unsupported weight than it does with something being wrong. Think about the thin flooring base trying to hold up the weight that is on it and no floor joist to stiffen it. At this point in time I simply keep an eye on things to make sure it is not changing with use. We have towed ourunit for about 7k miles in 15 months and have about 90 days of staying in it, so far no change in slide floor sag when retracted. We do store stuff under the dinette putting heavier items to the wall side to reduce strain on the forward/inside unsupported span. I am sure others will weigh in with their ideas and thoughts. Many good heads on this site.

Dave
    flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Originally posted by BillM321 View Post
      I got the trailer out of winter storage yesterday and I noticed the floor on the slide appears to sag in the middle.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
      Bill,
      Your 22MLE's slide is a Schwintek, what Lippert calls and In-Wall Slideout. The weight of the slide is supported by rollers that are just inside of the exterior wall. The floor of our GD Schwintek slides are (relatively) thin plywood, so it is not surprising the unsupported weight (when the slide is retracted) results in a sag.

The picture below is an example of how the slide is supported on rollers. (It's a 337RLS' Reflection bedroom slide but it's the same idea.) I believe the reason the floor appears to "pick up" is because as the unsupported inner edge of the slide's floor makes it's way out it is supported by the rollers.

IMHO there's nothing you need to do.

I hope that makes sense...

Howard

Name:	337 Floor Rollers.JPG
Views:	1263
Size:	345.1 KB
ID:	82881

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I’ve notice a similar sag on previous TTS and made it a point to avoid stepping on the unsorted edge when the slides were in. There’s no support until the slide is fully extended
        2022 3100RD
        2019 F-150 V6 Twin Turbo 10 speed
        Over 55 years TT towing

Comment

BillM321 ,I believe our 2022 260RD has a similar sag as you describe. Unfortunately I didn't notice it until we brought it home from the dealer. I've taken good pictures like you and submitted them to GD customer service to keep on record for our trailer (assuming they retain submitted problems.)

I posted here in the forum as well about the issue.

In our case I am concerned because our slide sags to the point that about 2 feet of the center portion of the interior edge of the slide actually makes contact with the linoleum main floor. I'm positive that over time we'll end up with a nice 2 foot wide wear mark in the floor.

So far I have prevented damage by placing a thin carpet runner under the front edge of the slide when I retract it. The slide makes contact with the carpet instead of the floor.

As Howard mentioned, I'm not sure there's much that can be done to stiffen the front edge as there's no room for support on the underside of the slide.

Like yours, ours lifts away from the floor within about a foot after extending. I'm watching carefully for any worsening.
          Mike and Rebecca
          2022 Reflection 150 260RD, October 2021 build date.
          2001 Chev 2500 HD 8.1 liter 4x4

Comment

Would adding additional rollers closer to the edges help?
            Vivian
            2018 Reflection 303rls
            Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
            Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
              Would adding additional rollers closer to the edges help?
              Vivian, the sag is at the middle of the interior (unsupported) edge of the slide. So I don't think the rollers have any impact. It's really an issue of the long edge of the slide not being strengthened/stiffened enough to keep it completely level across it's length. In my case "perfect" would be if the entire slide were about an 1/8th of an inch higher off the floor - at least then the slide wouldn't be rubbing on the main floor.
              Mike and Rebecca
              2022 Reflection 150 260RD, October 2021 build date.
              2001 Chev 2500 HD 8.1 liter 4x4

Comment

These might help protect the floor.https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slide-Out...Pair/125964135
                https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-13499...0724147&sr=8-6
                https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-0...724147&sr=8-31

You might be able to make your own out of plastic runner available at HD Lowes or Ace.
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Am I the only one concerned that the 2x4 supporting the rollers in the photo in post #3 is just cantilevered out from the wall? Even if the 2x4 doesn't pull free there's going to be a lot of flex to it.
                  John
                  2018 Momentum 395M
                  2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                  Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Bill,
                    Your 22MLE's slide is a Schwintek, what Lippert calls and In-Wall Slideout. The weight of the slide is supported by rollers that are just inside of the exterior wall. The floor of our GD Schwintek slides are (relatively) thin plywood, so it is not surprising the unsupported weight (when the slide is retracted) results in a sag.

The picture below is an example of how the slide is supported on rollers. (It's a 337RLS' Reflection bedroom slide but it's the same idea.) I believe the reason the floor appears to "pick up" is because as the unsupported inner edge of the slide's floor makes it's way out it is supported by the rollers.

IMHO there's nothing you need to do.

I hope that makes sense...

Howard

Click image for larger version  Name:	337 Floor Rollers.JPG Views:	49 Size:	345.1 KB ID:	82881

I am confused now that I see the picture that Howard posted. I have seen many posts online about how the slide rollers rub on the trailer floor....and hence the need for the slide slickers to protect the vinyl flooring. That implied to me that there were rollers attached to the underside of the slide floor and those supported the weight of the slide as it rolled across the vinyl trailer flooring. But from Howard's picture it looks like the slide rollers are stationary.

But back to the point at hand.......it looks like short of rebuilding the slide floor with something more substantial, the only thing I can really do is insert some of those Slide Slickers or some upside down carpet remnants whenever I retract or extend the slide.

Thanks!
                    Last edited by BillM321; 04-23-2022, 07:47 PM.
                    Bill M.
                    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                    2021 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
                      Am I the only one concerned that the 2x4 supporting the rollers in the photo in post #3 is just cantilevered out from the wall? Even if the 2x4 doesn't pull free there's going to be a lot of flex to it.
                      John you have a point, especially with only 3 screws holding it on the aluminum framing. howson Howard - can you verify this is what were seeing, or was something else added before the slide was installed. I know the slide vertical frame itself supports the box weight, but is what is in the picture stout enough? Curious

BillM321 Bill there is a post here somewhere where a member made stepped wedge supports for the floor for travel. I believe his was sagging too and he wanted it supported better. I think he wanted to use the couch in the in position. I did a quick search but could not find it - sorry

Keith
                      Last edited by Yoda; 04-23-2022, 02:59 PM.
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I am confused now that I see the picture that Howard posted. I have seen many posts online about how the slide rollers rub on the trailer floor....and hence the need for the slick slickers to protect the vinyl flooring.
                        In my 315RLTS Slide Slickers are needed for the two thru-frame slides, not the bedroom's Schwintek. Each trailer may have different requirements based on size and type of slide utilized.
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Yoda and JBill9694 -- I have no idea what the completed build looks like once the slide is ready to be installed. Remember this is only one example. I'd hesitate to draw conclusions based on one picture of one trailer in the middle of a build.

Comment

Yoda - I know that thread you are referencing.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ine-22mle-2021

That is how I discovered this issue in the first place. I thought gujuryu had a great idea and I wanted to copy it. So I went out to the trailer to see what the gap was to make my own "travel wedge" and that is when I discovered there was only about 1/16" of a gap on my retracted slide.

Bill M.
                            2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                            2021 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost

Comment

Yoda - I know that thread you are referencing.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ine-22mle-2021

That is how I discovered this issue in the first place. I thought gujuryu had a great idea and I wanted to copy it. So I went out to the trailer to see what the gap was to make my own "travel wedge" and that is when I discovered there was only about 1/16" of a gap on my retracted slide.
                              Bill Have you contacted GD customer service? - This should be covered by thier warrentee. When you call have you Vin handy.

Comment

Working...
                              X