Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main Hydraulic slides won't retract 2021 397th

Hydraulic Slide stopped working...not available on one control
    Looking for some insight here. I have a new to me 2021 Momentum 397TH. I was in the rig doing some chores and everything functioned fine. I had run the main slides out to provide some access as normal. Then, when I went to close the slides I got NOTHING. The main slide isn't even recognized on the One Control panel. It is still there but you can't operate it. It is grayed out.
    What did I check during the investigation so far?
    1) the manual switch won't work. When pushed in the "In" position I can hear a click below the stairs but nothing happens.
    2) I have dropped power to the rig and restarted One Control. Nothing
    3) I lowered and raised the front Hydrolic levelers, so I think the hydraulic system is function.
    4) I checked the DC fuses and the AC breaks and nothing looked abnormal.
    5) On the one control the DV bus voltage is 13.7V, so that shouldn't be the issue.

TIA for any assistance.

Dwayne

Excellent post and troubleshooting--you provided a lot of pertinent information.

Lippert's Unity manual has the an entry in the Troubleshooting section (the "grayed out" caught my attention) that may be applicable--is the OneControl app open on a phone or the phone connected to the OneControl's MyRV WiFi?

Click image for larger version

Name:	function.JPG
Views:	601
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	84473
    I doubt that's the problem...

The levelers are working because the Level-Up system has it's own OneControl controller. If there was an issue with the hydraulic system itself an informed guess is the OCTP (OneControl Touch Panel) would not show the slide system grayed out--it would still show enabled but wouldn't function correctly. What that leads me to believe is the slide's controller (the main Unity x4 board) is not working right or there's a power issue at the board itself.

Keep in mind the info I have access to is dated. I also must strongly caution that the Unity X4 board is expensive. Well over $1K on Lippert's website. If in doubt about anything related to this board, call Lippert for assistance. Letting the magic smoke out of this board will not make your day.

OK, with all the scary cautions out of the way, the command to retract or extend the slide comes in two ways to the X4 board. Either via the CAN bus or the manual switch inputs. Since both methods of actuating the slides don't work, they are likely not the issue. (I was taught to assume a single point of failure when troubleshooting.)

The output of the X4 board that powers the hydraulic system solenoid and valve are on the REV OUT LC connector. This may seem like an off-the-wall question but it is related: does the water heater work on either electric or gas?

Regardless of whether the water heater works or not, what I'd check is the power inputs and grounds connected to the board. A loose crimp or connection could cause the issue.

There are four power inputs and one ground connection on the board. I have to emphasize again: If you check the power at these connections with power on be extremely careful. Best practice is to remove ALL 12vDC power sources from the trailer (including solar if that's applicable) and then check. (The board is likely behind the false wall in the storage compartment--effectively under the steps. You'll have to remove the cover to check the power points.)

The power connectors to check are highlighted below in a red and black box (+12vDC in red and the return, or negative, in black). The red arrows show the path of the signal flow in and out (gee whiz info).

Name:	X4.JPG
Views:	394
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	84474

If the power connectors end up checking good...the troubleshooting becomes much more difficult and specific. Unless you have a lot of background in troubleshooting electronic systems, best to call Lippert for help.

Please follow-up with what resolves the problem.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I will start off by saying Thank you! That required some effort and great insight.
      I have removed the false wall to gain access to where the board is located. I have checked all of the connectors for tightness.

You mentioned: "There are four power inputs and one ground connection on the board. I have to emphasize again: If you check the power at these connections with power on be extremely careful. Best practice is to remove ALL 12vDC power sources from the trailer (including solar if that's applicable) and then check." If I remove the power to check these connectors what and how do I check them for?? I am not an electrician so bare with me please. I have a multimeter and am learning how to use it.

I have removed and checked the fuses on the board (I remove all power from the rig first, including turning the battery isolation switch) and check them for continuity. All were good.
      I have unplugged the can bus connectors and the one one the right side in the picture for what I think is the signal out to the hydraulic pump and reconnected all.

When I push the manual switch the clicking sound radiates from the location on the right of the board (in the picture) near that digital readout. Same area where the output connector for the hydraulic pump.

As far as the app on a phone goes I have deleted the app and reloaded it on my phone so I don't think that is the issue.

Part of my research on this issue I found the method to manually retract the sides using a drill. One thing that is still a little confusing for me is whether or not I need to do anything with the valve block prior to just hooking up the drill to the top of the hydraulic pump??

If nothing else I do plan to call Lippert Monday morning.

Again, Thank you for your help!

Comment

You may need to check the valves for the hydraulic slide. It could be possible that the retract side has trash in it and is preventing it from cycling properly. Several people have also had issues with the valving after service to the unit where one of the valves was closed by accident thus preventing movement in one direction only (has to do with the way the system is designed).
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Dwayne View Post
          I have removed and checked the fuses on the board (I remove all power from the rig first, including turning the battery isolation switch) and check them for continuity. All were good.
          I have unplugged the can bus connectors and the one one the right side in the picture for what I think is the signal out to the hydraulic pump and reconnected all.
          ??? The "fuses" on the X4 board are not removable (to my knowledge). Please take a picture and post what fuses were checked for continuity. (The Unity boards do not use a separate fuse for each circuit--they reuse the same "fuse", which I thought was soldered to the board, for a similarly-rated circuit via a switching method.)

I am not an electrician so bare with me please. I have a multimeter and am learning how to use it.
          Forgive the bluntness, but probing the X4 board (with power on) is not the time or place to learn how to use a multimeter. Too much downside if there's a goof. If the connections all seem secure and the when the wires are (gently!) wiggled don't fall out of the connector then that's about as far as I suggest you troubleshoot.

When I push the manual switch the clicking sound radiates from the location on the right of the board (in the picture) near that digital readout. Same area where the output connector for the hydraulic pump.
          Unfortunately this is where more extensive troubleshooting is required to determine if there's an output from the board and if that output is getting to the hydraulic system. Again...and I mean no disrespect...but this level of troubleshooting is for a technician with experience IMO.

Part of my research on this issue I found the method to manually retract the sides using a drill. One thing that is still a little confusing for me is whether or not I need to do anything with the valve block prior to just hooking up the drill to the top of the hydraulic pump??
          Lippert has extensive documentation on their website for Hydraulic slides here: https://support.lci1.com/2-x-2-hydraulic-slide-system

I've never done it myself, but the manual makes it look easy.

Name:	directions.JPG
Views:	435
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	84490

Again, Thank you for your help!
          You're very welcome.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
            You may need to check the valves for the hydraulic slide. It could be possible that the retract side has trash in it and is preventing it from cycling properly. Several people have also had issues with the valving after service to the unit where one of the valves was closed by accident thus preventing movement in one direction only (has to do with the way the system is designed).
            Why would that cause the icon to gray out on the OCTP, Joseph? That's the clue I'm focused on (and why the emphasis on the X4 board).

Comment

howson I am focusing on the fact that the manual button is not working. There is an audible click per the response. Fight one battle at a time. Once the slide is working with the manual button, then try software.
              Joseph
              Tow
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                howson I am focusing on the fact that the manual button is not working. There is an audible click per the response. Fight one battle at a time. Once the slide is working with the manual button, then try software.
                The output that drives the slide's hydraulic system is the same regardless of input source to the Unity boards. Whether it's by digital command via the CANBUS or a 12v input via the manual switch, the output power to the selector valve and solenoid is via that connector on the right side of the X4 board.

The other reason I'm focused on the Unity board is when power is removed from a CANBUS component it's not unusual for it to either "disappear" from the options list or to be grayed out.

I could be completely off-track. Wouldn't be the first (or last) time. Just trying to put the puzzle pieces together.
                Last edited by howson; 05-08-2022, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Getting back to open/closing the slide with the drill. The drill turns the hydraulic pump but does not operate the valves. The valves will have to be opened/closed by hand as well. This works best with two people, one on the drill and watching the slides for movement and the other with their head buried in the front compartment operating the valves.
                  John
                  2018 Momentum 395M
                  2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                  Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

1. Click only. The pump did not run. Power is not getting to the pump, assuming the click is the Trombetta, the pump solenoid. Trace the power back from the Trombetta on the pump to all connections back to the battery for a disconnect. You could jumper a battery to the Trombetta power terminals to get power to the pump.
                    2. Control shows slide grayed out. The board lost its slide recognition connection.

I agree that first get manual switch mode working, then find why the control board does not recognize the slide.
                    Ted
                    2021 Reflection 310RLS
                    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

howson your post quoting me disappeared.

How is the Momentum wired? Don't know. I'm assuming the manual power switch and control board power switch are effectively operating in parallel, one does not know the other is there. First step would be to verify that the hydraulic slide portion works. Then the electronic.
                      Ted
                      2021 Reflection 310RLS
                      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

TedS -- I'm likely stuck in a paradigm of my own creation. I'll monitor this thread from this point forward and see what develops. There's nothing else useful I can add at this point so perhaps the fresh perspective you and Jlawles2 are bringing to the conversation may reveal the problem.

I do hope Dwayne posts the resolution when it's found--it's an interesting problem.

Comment

howson Howard, your input is much appreciated as usual.

In the many years of troubleshooting issues, I have always found (in my person experiences) it best to verify that something is working as anticipated even if requiring some type of over ride before working on the control system. I find it easier to trouble shoot a control system knowing the mechanical system is working properly. Again this is my experience.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

??? The "fuses" on the X4 board are not removable (to my knowledge). Please take a picture and post what fuses were checked for continuity. (The Unity boards do not use a separate fuse for each circuit--they reuse the same "fuse", which I thought was soldered to the board, for a similarly-rated circuit via a switching method.)
                            In the attached PDF file I have circled the fuses that I was talking about. they look like this one. https://www.amazon.com/COLE-HERSEE-F.../dp/B07NTRKNPR
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by howson; 05-08-2022, 06:42 PM. Reason: Fixed quote

Comment

Those could be self resetting fuses or circuit breakers.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X