Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

390 RKR Schwintek kitchen slide mechanisms TSB completed (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 390 RKR Schwintek kitchen slide mechanisms TSB completed (?)

Well, our adventure with our kitchen slideouts, which began last July while on a 5600 mile trip, is finally over (almost). It began with the slideout which blocks the refrigerator (just chock full of cold OCBs) refused to extend correctly--one side would and the other wouldn't-- after a long travel day. At least one of us (ahem, not me) was slender enough to squeeze through and partially open the frig. An unscheduled stop in Littleton, CO (arranged by excellent GD customer service rep) the next day to attempt a repair (failed), followed by a mobile tech two days later in Grand Junction (success--new motor, covered by warranty). After sharing the festivities here on the forum, others chimed in with similar predicaments. Several of the moderators, including howson , Guest , Country Campers , and I think one or two more (my apologies if I left someone out--not intentional) were able to bring GD into this. The result was a TSB being issued to resolve issues related to the original installation during unit build. Thank you to all of the moderators who were involved, and no doubt facilitated a positive response on the part of GD. Thank you also to the factory folks.

Unfortunately, the dealer's parts and service departments have been the weak link throughout this process. It took 3 separate trips to achieve a resolution of the TSB, mostly due to the parts department ordering the wrong parts (how is this possible with a VIN?, and Lippert IDs on the components?) but blaming GD for sending the wrong parts. Then techs who either don't have the knowledge to install the mechanism correctly, or being so shorthanded that an assistant is unavailable when absolutely imperative to install the parts correctly. All of this excellence (not) in workmanship for a shop rate of $190!!/hour. For that price, I feel I can expect perfection. I picked the unit up, and brought it home and really looked it over. And have since been in touch with GD customer service, who told me I can take it where I like to have everything readjusted correctly. Both slide rooms, when retracted are tight at the top, and slightly out at the bottom because the racks mounted to the slideout end walls are not timed correctly with the drive gears that engage them. So now I have an appointment at a trusted non-GD dealer whom we have a good working relationship with at the end of July to get this all resolved. Will not return to our selling dealer for service, or our next unit. Photos attached.

You can engineer and build them properly, but an underqualified dealer service network can really put a big dent in the overall reputation of an otherwise quality product. I think it would be beneficial to all involved if GD sent out satisfaction surveys after paying for a warranty claim to track how well their dealer network is performing. I'm sure there are a lot of non-GD dealers who would jump at the chance to sell their product if GD got rid of underperforming current dealers. We absolutely love our trailer, and have had much fewer issues than with the last two new units (non GD) that we purchased. The slides in the pix are fully closed. Click image for larger version

Name:	A3 kit slide door side.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	85382 Click image for larger version

Name:	A4 kit slide door side.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	85383 Click image for larger version

Name:	ODS Kitchen slide 1.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	85384 Click image for larger version

Name:	ODS Kitchen slide 2.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	85385
    Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
    2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
    2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
    Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies
Working...
X