Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something is not right? Slide alignment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something is not right? Slide alignment?

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	34.4 KB ID:	85686 I am looking for some input on the slide issue we have had since new. We had the dealer look at it when we took possession as well as our first service appointment. The dealer seems fine with how the top corner of the slide is closing, I have been told it’s compressing the gasket at least 50% and we should not have an issue with water penetration.

But I’m still not happy with how it looks or functions, should I be contacting Grand design directly?

Please have a look at the attached picture of the top corner of the slide and the gap that is there. All the other corners close tightly against the side wall.

I have not had a chance to get out a level and see if the slide is not square/flush or if it is maybe an alignment issue. I am hoping it’s an alignment issue and it can be corrected.

Trailer is a 2022 2800BH with traditional slide mechanism (2 bars along bottom of slide)

Thanks for having a look and any input you can provide.
    Landon
    Last edited by landonth@gmail.com; 05-21-2022, 01:20 PM.

Based on the photos, I see your concern. It's probably okay, but I'd check with GDRV customer service to get their input and go on record with the issue. I'd send the photos to customerservice@granddesignrv.com. Make sure you include your VIN when you send the email.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

landonth@gmail.com X2 on what TucsonJim stated. I will also offer that in my experience, the slide top edge should make contact first when retracting and break contact last when extending. This is usually due to the slide over-balancing as the weight transfers to the inside of the rollers on the bottom of the slide opening. You don't mention what model r.v. you have or what type slide you have, all of the slides operate somewhat differently. Have you looked under the inside edge of the slide to see if perhaps the roller underneath is loose, crooked, pushing up on the floor there or not there at all? For me the slides are a rabbit hole I prefer to not slide into, however, sometimes needs must. Good Luck.

Dave
      flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Originally posted by flyfshrockies View Post
        landonth@gmail.com X2 on what TucsonJim stated. I will also offer that in my experience, the slide top edge should make contact first when retracting and break contact last when extending. This is usually due to the slide over-balancing as the weight transfers to the inside of the rollers on the bottom of the slide opening. You don't mention what model r.v. you have or what type slide you have, all of the slides operate somewhat differently. Have you looked under the inside edge of the slide to see if perhaps the roller underneath is loose, crooked, pushing up on the floor there or not there at all? For me the slides are a rabbit hole I prefer to not slide into, however, sometimes needs must. Good Luck.

Dave
        Hey Dave,

Thanks for the reply, I will update my post to include that information.

The trailer is a 2022 2800BH delivered in Sept 2021 so it’s about 8 months old. It has the traditional slide mechanism (2 bars on the bottom of slide), it’s not the fancy one with the 4 aluminum tracks.

Does that help at all?

Comment

landonth@gmail.com -- from what I can see on my phone, I'd guess a component called the "stop can" is misadjysted. The top should compress a bit more if tha component is adjusted out a turn or two. (Note this is an educated guess w/limited info so I could be wrong.)

Lippert, the slide OEM, has a LOT of info at lci1.com (look under the support link).

I'm a lousy keyboard typer on a phone...
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

My experience has been that the dealers are often inclined to say its "good enough" because for them it is a money losing proposition to deal with it.
            I am inclined to agree with the stop can theory, if the slide pulled in just a fraction of an inch more it would likely bring that top in. Like has already been said, adjusting slides is often a rabbit hole. Personally I think these through frame slides are the easiest to adjust.
            My door side slide was missing one of the jack bolts for adjustment and caused the slide to become misaligned. It was definitely a learning event. Lipperts training videos are well done.
            2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Lippert has a very easy to follow set of videos if you are willing to diagnose and try to adjust the slide yourself. They will also be helpful on the phone for guidance. Here is the series of videos and can look up adjusting for extended and retracted positions first.

https://support.lci1.com/through-fra...c-slide-system

Since your unit is a 2022, it should be under warranty for either a mobile tech or dealer to adjust for you. Looking at the videos will help you understand the problem to make your case for adjustment should they give you a hard time or tell you it looks just fine.
              Vivian
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
              Demco Recon

Comment

Thanks for the reply’s everyone. I contacted Grand design and have a case number with approval for my dealer to make “Vertical slide adjustments” they believe that is the issue based on the pictures I sent. Book in at the dealer and have an appointment in 3 weeks to get it looked at.

i would attempt it myself as I’m handy, but new to travel trailers. I’m not exactly sure what they mean in this email.

“It appears to need a vertical adjustment. There are 2 nuts on the head assy need loosened up and the bolt that goes up try one full turn and tighten the nuts down. That is our opinion based off the pics.”

If anyone can direct me I would be happy to attempt it.

Thanks.

Comment

Well after doing some googling I found this video, the adjustment seems simple enough to make. The only thing I’m not sure about is if the adjustment bolt needs to move up or down? I will take some measurements next time im at the trailer and assess the situation to see where the slide is at.

Thanks for all the info guys.

https://youtu.be/GrSOtDvBZK8

Comment

This video covers all the adjustments and further explains the vertical adjustment. Be careful only do a little at a time on adjustments start with a witness mark so you can go to original position in case you do not succeed.

https://youtu.be/X1A2q55BfLs
                    Vivian
                    2018 Reflection 303rls
                    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                    Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                      This video covers all the adjustments and further explains the vertical adjustment. Be careful only do a little at a time on adjustments start with a witness mark so you can go to original position in case you do not succeed.

https://youtu.be/X1A2q55BfLs
                      Thanks for the link, this one is better then the link I found. I will have a look at it this weekend and see if I will tackle it myself or not.

Comment

landonth@gmail.com

​​​​​​​Just a reminder that you have a case # from Grand Design and they will be expecting something from your dealer stating that they adjusted the slide to Grand Design's specifications. The case will remain open until the dealer submits this information to Grand Design. If you get the slide adjusted on your own I would suggest that you still take it to the dealer to have them inspect and sign off on the adjustment so they can close the case file that you have with Grand Design, just a little thought to pass on.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                          landonth@gmail.com

Just a reminder that you have a case # from Grand Design and they will be expecting something from your dealer stating that they adjusted the slide to Grand Design's specifications. The case will remain open until the dealer submits this information to Grand Design. If you get the slide adjusted on your own I would suggest that you still take it to the dealer to have them inspect and sign off on the adjustment so they can close the case file that you have with Grand Design, just a little thought to pass on.

Brian
                          If your self adjustment meets your needs, and you're satisfied, you can also call customer service back and update the case to indicate "owner resolved".

​​​​​​​Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie
                          2024 Solitude 310GK
                          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I had a similar issue that started small and kept getting worse until I had almost an inch between my slide and trailer side. The slide was also jerking as I moved it out - clearly misaligned. I was still under warranty and I was going to take it in but was on the road at the time. Looked in the manual and it said to move the slide in/out 12 inches several times in both the out position and in position. Did that twice and must have corrected the misalignment because it is perfectly aligned now against the trailer side with no gaps at the corners or along the sides. Also moves smoothly both in and out.
                            2022 28/BH w/slide awnings, rear camera, lithium batteries, solar
                            TV: 2006 Dodge 2500 Turbo Desiel, 5.9 I6

Comment

We are staying at the trailer this weekend so I had a chance to assess the situation and decided against making the adjustment myself. When looking at the slide floor and the camper floor it is at two different heights and for the life of me I can’t figure out how to take a proper measurement to align it with in a 1/4”.

Also brought out a level to use as a straight edge and found that the trim that is attached to the slide is not straight. I wonder if this is why the bulb seal is not sealing and the slide looks mis-aligned?

Service appointment is booked in two weeks, I’m going to let them deal with it as it’s all under warranty still. I will make sure to update Grand design with my findings before my service appointment.

Comment

Working...
                              X