Kitchen slide damaged the floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen slide damaged the floor

After running out the kitchen slide I noticed that a small piece of vinyl flooring had a small tear near the island. I slid a 1/8" board under the slide the check for anything that might be causing a snag and couldn't feel anything. So I ran the slide back in and then out again. This time it tore a large hole in the flooring. After doing a search for the possible cause, I saw that others have had this problem and that it might be caused by a pucker or bubble causing the flooring to lift and get caught on the slide. The damage is right next to one of the rollers so I suspect that's the problem. The flooring is not glued down so I am guessing that the nearby roller caused the flooring to pucker as the slide went out.

Now I have to figure out a way to fix it. The damage is bad - a big hole and the vinyl is stretched, so I'm not sure it can even be repaired. I am considering cutting out a piece of flooring from under one of the cabinets and using that to patch the damaged area. I am hoping to find some adhesive that I can use to glue down the patch and adjacent flooring edges the prevent this from happening again.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of repair or how to prevent it from happening again?

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Bob - Sorry to hear that. Your approach of getting a patch from under a cabinet is what repair shops sometimes do. Also, check behind the pass thru storage wall. Quite often, there is excess flooring available behind the wall.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I just went through this process. I ended up hiring Creative Colors International (https://wecanfixthat.com/) to fix my floor which had about a 4 inch cut in it from the dinette slider. Cost was around $400. The fix is absolutely perfect. Cannot tell that there was damage. They have repair facilities throughout the U.S.
      Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
      2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
      2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

Thanks but I’m in Canada. Closest location is Oregon
        2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
        2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

Had the same thing happen on our last outing and not only noticed damage to the flooring but also damage under the carpet on the same side. I contacted Grand Design and the Dealer I purchased it from and they had me bring in the camper. GD and my dealer both confirmed that there have been some problems with other GD slides and are fixing it now under warranty.

Comment

Working...
          X