Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 399TH-R - Main Slide Super Sofa problem with less than a month of ownership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are some differences from what we discussed earlier. The rack and pinion system that keeps the slide aligned appears to be inside the frame rather than outside the frame, as it is on electric drive slides. Perhaps another forum member with hydraulic slides can confirm whether it has always been this way or this is something new?

From your pictures . . . this is the area that does not look right . . . missing bolts? . . . missing connection bracket ??

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_13116.jpeg
Views:	321
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	87286
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I agree with Rob, that bracket does not look correct. There is also the lock nuts on the cylinder rod end that are not tightened to the bracket. Maybe send these pics to GD and have them look at it and see if they will send a mobile tech to you to sort this out.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I'm not an expert on slides, but it also appears that on the rod there may be a missing stop. On the electric ones it's a metal can looking thing.

I agree these pictures need to go to GD and have them start the investigation process as to what may be the issue.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

This is the Lippert video on how to adjust hydraulic slides. It will help you see how the bolts and nuts get adjusted to seal the room. It might help you understand the issue better, but looks like some bolts were loosened and never tightened after an adjustment.

https://youtu.be/koGmotPRJWw
          Vivian
          2018 Reflection 303rls
          Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
          Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            There are some differences from what we discussed earlier. The rack and pinion system that keeps the slide aligned appears to be inside the frame rather than outside the frame, as it is on electric drive slides. Perhaps another forum member with hydraulic slides can confirm whether it has always been this way or this is something new?

From your pictures . . . this is the area that does not look right . . . missing bolts? . . . missing connection bracket ??

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_13116.jpeg
Views:	321
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	87286

This is the same setup as mine. This connection (as noted above ) is definitely not correct. Looks like the bolt just needs to be tightened, otherwise looks complete.

The rack and pinion mechanism has always been inboard of the frame on hydraulic system.

As far as the nuts on the end off the ram, they are supposed to have that gap. It adjusts the in and out stops. Mine has about the same amount of "slop."
            Jim (& Sharon)
            2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
            2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
            The toys:
            2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
            2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

I agree, something is up with the rack and pinion (in addition to the above notes.) Will have to drop belly cover to check it out. May be a simple fix.
              Jim (& Sharon)
              2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
              2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
              The toys:
              2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
              2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Thanks Jim for clarifying some of these comments, always good to have an owner with knowledge.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Well I spent the whole day waiting at the dealer today, they took apart the slide mechanism and one of the gears has a few missing teeth, they tried to realign the slide, and still it would not work correctly, they stated that the weld of one of the brackets is breaking apart and if we keep trying to open and close it will force the track thru the floor of the slide and it will be a "catastrophic" failure, they are leaving the slide open because they are afraid of closing it.... As far as I understand the problem was caused by out of alignment welding from the factory that caused stress in the parts and premature failure.

Our trip has now been canceled with non refundable campground fees, and the worst thing is that my older son's birthday is this Tuesday and had asked me to go camping for his birthday.
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  Ronald & Kelly
                  2022 Momentum 399TH-R
                  2022 RAM 3500 Cummins HO Mega cab Dually
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

Thanks Rob, Brian, Joseph, Vivian & Jim, for all the help and information!!! You guys are the best!!!
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    Ronald & Kelly
                    2022 Momentum 399TH-R
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                      This is the Lippert video on how to adjust hydraulic slides. It will help you see how the bolts and nuts get adjusted to seal the room. It might help you understand the issue better, but looks like some bolts were loosened and never tightened after an adjustment.

https://youtu.be/koGmotPRJWw
                      Vivian, this video is great for adjustments on a system that has no physical problems, I wish that was my case but unfortunately not my case :-( even the trained techs from the dealership had a really hard time and were unable to get it aligned, I got a COVID RV (price high & quality low) for sure..
                      Ronald & Kelly
                      2022 Momentum 399TH-R

Comment

I know how you feel. Lost a wheel hub on previous 5er on morning 2 of a 2 week trip. Spent 5 days in a hotel with a busted camper that we could not use.

GD will probably step up with the repairs. The breaking of the bracket may or may not be a GD component as most RV's are built from parts supplied by others. Missing teeth even if re aligned can cause the slide to get out of sync again.

Hang in there, if you have a good service center they will get it right.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

It would seem that your new trailer has to find its way back to the Factory Service Center in Indiana. This will get the issues correctly resolved, but this facility has a waiting list like any other RV service provider . . . so, get on their list as soon as possible. This may require you to be “politely persistent” with their Customer Service but providing a document from your dealer stating that they can’t fix this, should give you some priority with the Service Center.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by kirilauscas View Post
                            Well I spent the whole day waiting at the dealer today, they took apart the slide mechanism and one of the gears has a few missing teeth, they tried to realign the slide, and still it would not work correctly, they stated that the weld of one of the brackets is breaking apart and if we keep trying to open and close it will force the track thru the floor of the slide and it will be a "catastrophic" failure, they are leaving the slide open because they are afraid of closing it.... As far as I understand the problem was caused by out of alignment welding from the factory that caused stress in the parts and premature failure.

Our trip has now been canceled with non refundable campground fees, and the worst thing is that my older son's birthday is this Tuesday and had asked me to go camping for his birthday.

I totally understand your frustration as to how these things could ever even happen on a brand new unit. I bought mine when I retired in 2018 and have had structural issues, slide issues since we retired to start traveling fulltime. Every year I visit the factory in Indiana so can’t make my trip out the west coast in last 3 years. I am on first name basis with the team there. I will say, if you can get your RV there or they can send a transport to pick up and take it there for repairs, it is what I would do. I am also at the Lippert facility in Goshen on a yearly basis for suspension upgrades since mine failed and I did not trust it, now I do.

The only saving grace is that at least until now, GD has done their best to repair and make my RV better than built. Make sure you get customer service manager to respond. I am actually on the road now heading to the new service center in Elkhart for a slide issue.They will do an adjustment there as dealer was not able to. Just needs to be tweaked horizontally so my upper seal does not damage further. Lippert has also been more than willing to help, they are who provide the frame and slide out mechanism so might be good to call them as well.

Maybe next year will be the year I can finally do the west coast and Vancouver Island possibly Alaska. Good luck and let us know what and how GD responds.
                            Vivian
                            2018 Reflection 303rls
                            Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                            Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                              I know how you feel. Lost a wheel hub on previous 5er on morning 2 of a 2 week trip. Spent 5 days in a hotel with a busted camper that we could not use.

GD will probably step up with the repairs. The breaking of the bracket may or may not be a GD component as most RV's are built from parts supplied by others. Missing teeth even if re aligned can cause the slide to get out of sync again.

Hang in there, if you have a good service center they will get it right.
                              Thanks Joseph, even if it is not a GD component they should have tested the slide, when we picked up the unit it was already not 100% it made a skipping noise, we probably closed and opened less than 4 times...
                              Ronald & Kelly
                              2022 Momentum 399TH-R

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                                It would seem that your new trailer has to find its way back to the Factory Service Center in Indiana. This will get the issues correctly resolved, but this facility has a waiting list like any other RV service provider . . . so, get on their list as soon as possible. This may require you to be “politely persistent” with their Customer Service but providing a document from your dealer stating that they can’t fix this, should give you some priority with the Service Center.

Rob
                                Thanks Rob, I live in south Florida and can't take time off from work to take the RV to the factory.
                                Ronald & Kelly
                                2022 Momentum 399TH-R

Comment

Working...
                                X