Schwintek Drive Shaft Broken, or sheared GIB? UPDATE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schwintek Drive Shaft Broken, or sheared GIB? UPDATE

As you may remember back in December, wait, that's a song, it was actually last November. I was having trouble with one of my Schwintek slides.
    Here is a link: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...or-sheared-gib

I got it fixed today, only took 5 months and $2675. Slide would not work on one side, had to push/pull to get in open/closed. Called a mobile tech to replace the motor, normal problem. New motor in, it's just spinning. My tech and I jumped through a bunch of hoops to diagnose the problem, but couldn't really tell without taking the slide rail assembly off. Tech advised me to purchase a new slide rail assembly. He couldn't find one. I got together with my dealer, GD, and eventually LCI. No slide rail available, it must be remanufactured, special order, no refunds, extra for shipping. Ugghh!

So I did. GD gave me a part number, LCI said it had been replaced with a more current part number, checked back with GD, hmmm! What are the specs? they ask. Hmm! says I let me find out. Well low and behold on the side of the slide assembly is a label, the label has the part number, but it also has the specs. In my case: 29 1/2 x 55 1/8 MC55 RH-1 C-BK R-CL 1.75 I-EK O-EK RF STD

LCI matched all that up to get the proper part number, GD concurred. That was a quick week. Now that I knew what I needed I should be able to find one. LOL, NOT! Another week or so of looking and I finally broke down and special ordered the slide rail assembly through LCI. I think it was the middle of February when it arrived, we were in our winter home for the ski season. I called a few mobile techs to see if they would be interested in changing a slide rail assembly, no takers. Average day time temp is 15F, I didn't blame them. I called a few dealers, they could get to it in March, maybe. So as we began our travels for the summer I kept trying to get someone to work on it. Booked, Booked, no thanks (take it to a dealer). Yes we can get you in 15-30 days after you leave...

So we have settled in for the summer. That's a story for another thread, why we are no longer roving freely around the country. I managed to talk a mobile tech into doing the install. This guy was good, he made it look easy. He also showed me where the slide's (yes both my LR schwintek slides) had not been properly installed at the factory, He explained how the slide rail frame flexes when the slide is dragging. We went through the proper not-lubricating procedure. Re-enforcement training on synchronizing. Then he made some reinforcements to make the new frames more stable. 5 hours. It now slides in and out, yea.

So what was the underlying problem? When we got the old slide rail system off I asked him about it. He inspected it, gibs are good, gears are good, torque shaft is not broken or sheared. We couldn't find what was broken. He told me that once in a while a motor will jump/pop ?? up. We checked the set screw (which was in during the troubles) it was not sheared off. He's stumped, I'm stumped. Now I am thinking that my first mobile tech may have misdiagnosed the issue. At this point it doesn't really matter to me. I have paid the piper and taken the ride. Hopefully now I have a good slide. Notice how that rhymes.

We looked at the opposite slide, it has been dragging for some time. He suspects that the installation alignment is off a bit. He also found that the rubber sealant they use on the bottom slide rail had become gooey and run onto the bottom of the slide, thus causing that corner to drag quite a bit. He advised me not to buy another slide rail assembly. His time was up and that wans't the problem he came to fix so he showed me how to clean the goo from the bottom of the slide. If that doesn't cure the slide dragging problem then he says it will probably take another slide rail assembly process (making sure the measurements are correct) to fix it.

I will admit to being mildly frustrated with this whole thing. But hopefully the problem is behind me now.

Safe Travels!

PS I am really glad I won't have to push that slide out by hand anymore....
    2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
    2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
    E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
    Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

"mildly frustrated" Youre a whole lot more understanding than I am
    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

This past winter I had to do a lot of work on my Sh**teck system too. Fortunately, I have the facility, lifts, and tooling necessary to reinstall the system properly.
      While the slide system should probably never be used on anything larger than a bedroom closet, GD sure did mess up badly on the installation of mine and didn't adjust for an out of square slide out. In the end, I removed the both H-Columns and re-positioned the room in the opening as close to square as it would allow. From there I had to make shims for 3 of 4 of the rollers so they all contacted the floor evenly and kept it level. Once that was done, I positioned H-Columns back in and had to make custom shims for gear tracks in order to eliminate binding and to keep them square to the columns. After that the slide worked great but unfortunately we have started to notice it pitching down again when extended. I checked the gear and track engagement and position and they have not changed however I did find that the aluminum torque shafts are twisting which is causing the pitch down when extended; I feel that these should always be steel for large heavy slides. I will again be removing the H-Columns this coming winter and either make custom torque shafts out of steel or just re-engineer a better system.
      I know there is a place out in Tuscan, AZ that makes a beefy replacement for LCi's junk Sh**teck and Slim-Rack systems but I have no plans of traveling that far west to have them install it especially when I own a fabrication shop.
      2021 Reflection 278BH
      2002 GMC 2500HD

Comment

Nice write up Dallas. As an FYI. There is a company in Tucson who specialize in replacing Schwintek slide mechanisms with a very robust mechanism that they designed and manufacture themselves. It's called "Vroom Slide Systems". I don't know the cost, but they can replace the complete slide system in one day. (I'm not affiliated with them in any way).

Here's their website:
        https://vroomslidesystems.com/

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Todd_P View Post
          This past winter I had to do a lot of work on my Sh**teck system too. Fortunately, I have the facility, lifts, and tooling necessary to reinstall the system properly.

I did find that the aluminum torque shafts are twisting which is causing the pitch down when extended;
          I sure wish I had a nice place to do projects. Replacing a furnace motor in a cold winter storm is no fun. But I get to repair as we go, it's more challenging.

The mobile tech addressed the flex problem somewhat. He built and installed these braces in the picture below. He told me that many of the manufacturers are starting to add these to their larger Schwintek installations. Hope this helps...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2409.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	87340

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2410.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	87341

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
            Nice write up Dallas. As an FYI. There is a company in Tucson who specialize in replacing Schwintek slide mechanisms with a very robust mechanism that they designed and manufacture themselves. It's called "Vroom Slide Systems". I don't know the cost, but they can replace the complete slide system in one day. (I'm not affiliated with them in any way).

Here's their website:
            https://vroomslidesystems.com/

Jim
            Maybe GD should start to install the Vroom slide systems instead of the schwintek systems. Just a thought of mine

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Zahn View Post

Maybe GD should start to install the Vroom slide systems instead of the schwintek systems. Just a thought of mine
              I had the same thought. But the Vroom guys don't manufacture in the quantities that would be needed.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Sounds like an opportunity for Vroom to selling to LCI with the caveat to not screw it up.
                Ted
                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Just for reference - Vroom recently quoted me $3k for one slide. They were booking for April of 2023, but squeezed me in for early October. They are building/buying an entirely new facility just to handle this new slide repair business.

I'm not excited about the drive (particularly since we'll be in Glacier National Park just prior to our appointment,) but I'm chalking up the expense as a very nice modification to a brand and floor plan we preferred over others. In other words, $3k extra for a different trailer wouldn't have given us what we wanted.

The Vroom system should provide confidence in the slide again and solves the major drawbacks of the Scwhwintek system. They provide two ways to manually move the slide in case of system failure (so you can get home!) AND your can partially extend/retract the slide without messing up the synchronization of the motors. Since the 260RD slide blocks the bathroom/bedroom during travel, this alone is a game changer for us.

Hopefully the slide functions fine until Oct and the Vroom install goes as planned.
                  Mike and Rebecca
                  2022 Reflection 150 260RD, October 2021 build date.
                  2001 Chev 2500 HD 8.1 liter 4x4

Comment

d2reid , I give up. Exactly what are the two plates suppose to do. It looks like they are screwed to the interior wall on the outside of the inner bulb seal. I don't see any connection between them and Schwintek system.
                    John
                    2018 Momentum 395M
                    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
                      d2reid , I give up. Exactly what are the two plates suppose to do. It looks like they are screwed to the interior wall on the outside of the inner bulb seal. I don't see any connection between them and Schwintek system.
                      Interesting that your slide d2reid didn't come with those plates; mine came with them from the factory. I'm pretty sure they did anyways, as my dealer did some work on our slide in the early days of ownership, but I highly doubt they would have added those out of kindness. Here is a photo of one of them on my Schwintek slide. I'm not 100% sure on their purpose other than perhaps to stop any twisting movement on the column?
                      2019 Imagine 2400BH
                      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
                        d2reid , I give up. Exactly what are the two plates suppose to do.
                        The Schwintek housing is an aluminum (pretty sure it's aluminum) U shaped bar. Secured by screws to the outside wall of the RV. As the motors produce torque that U shaped bar twists, not a lot, and maybe flexes is a better term. The braces are screwed into the U shaped bar and the aluminum wall stud next to where the schwintek u bar rests. This reduces the amount of twist/flex of the u-bar, essentially just holding it more stable. Or so I was told.

Originally posted by StephenO View Post

Interesting that your slide d2reid didn't come with those plates; mine came with them from the factory. ... I'm not 100% sure on their purpose other than perhaps to stop any twisting movement on the column?
                        2017 vs 2019. Or maybe your dealer added them when he worked on the system knowing that flexing has been an issue and there were just doing the right thing. It does happen.

I have no idea how effective this idea has/will be. My mobile tech just mentioned that he has begun seeing the brace on new model Schwintek slides.

Comment

I believe my 2017 Imagine has the clips. I remember these were added to some models where screws on the outside facia were breaking off and the slide could extend while towing.

Jim

Comment

Is this plate needed by everyone? Or just certain models? If everyone should have it, is there a do it yourself version?
                            thanks, Dave
                            2016 Reflection 27RL
                            2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
                            B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Originally posted by Dave27 View Post
                              Is this plate needed by everyone? Or just certain models? If everyone should have it, is there a do it yourself version?
                              thanks, Dave
                              Probably not needed by everyone. My smaller bedroom Schwintek slide has had no issues. Coincidentally it has a manual switch and is not on the One Control system. The larger living room slides are the ones that have been a problem.

As far as a DIY project they are pretty straight forward, just a piece of flat metal screwed into the Schwintek frame and the wall stud next to it. Being careful not to screw into the gibs or gear boxes. More smarter people than me may have more specifics.

Comment

Working...
                              X