Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide Maintenance

Hello,
    We just bought a slightly used 2020 221RB first trailer with a slide. What should I do for regular service preventive wise. know to lube it, etc.. what type of grease, seals, etc.. ? Thanks
    Last edited by howson; 07-13-2022, 02:53 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling in title
    2020 Transcend 221RB

Schwintek slide?

Comment

Originally posted by eagledad View Post
      Hello,
      We just bought a slightly used 2020 221RB first trailer with a slide. What should I do for regular service preventive wise. know to lube it, etc.. what type of grease, seals, etc.. ? Thanks
      The slide (regardless of type) was made by Lippert. They have extensive documentation at lci1.com

Most techs I've personally seen using a lubricant use dry PTFE. Nothing else. Many different brands available.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Do you spray on track ? How much/often?
        2020 Transcend 221RB

Comment

Originally posted by eagledad View Post
          Do you spray on track ? How much/often?
          Since you mention “track” . . . I expect that you are talking about a Schwintek slide. The moderators of this forum recently attended technical training sessions in Indiana. At LCI we learned “no lubrication is required on a Schwintek track”. The next day at Grand Design, we learned “always lubricate the Schwintek track with PTFE”. .

My take on this is that the LCI guys deal with “design intent” and the GD Techs deal with “what it takes to make it work” in the field. Personally . . . I always go with the GD Tech advice.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Since you mention “track” . . . I expect that you are talking about a Schwintek slide. The moderators of this forum recently attended technical training sessions in Indiana. At LCI we learned “no lubrication is required on a Schwintek track”. The next day at Grand Design, we learned “always lubricate the Schwintek track with PTFE”. .

My take on this is that the LCI guys deal with “design intent” and the GD Techs deal with “what it takes to make it work” in the field. Personally . . . I always go with the GD Tech advice.

Rob
            This is really coincidental as I had been thinking about asking about current thoughts on lubing the Scwintek system. About a year ago I bought a can of the Lippert recommended lube. Shortly afterwards Lippert started recommending to NOT lube the system. I was wondering if most folks were still using the lube?? There has not been much discussion of this lately.
            2020 Reflection 273MK
            2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Thanks for the help, This is first trailer with a slide so I don't what all the types of slides they are, I will have to run it out to look again but it is in storage, When I looked at it when I got it , I don't recall if there were cables, or a little piece of what is called a track towards the bottom the slide. I do while I was looking underneath slide, I seen rods with teeth on them , which I don't if that is it or just part of it, do I lube those as well? Sorry new to this?
              2020 Transcend 221RB

Comment

Hi eagledad,

No need to apologize for being new to this . . . we were all there once. The slide mechanism that you describe as under the slide is a different system referred to as underfloor or through frame. This does require lubrication but it must be something that will not gather dirt. Again, PTFE is good for this. When you have a question, if you post a picture, this will get us started in the right direction.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I wish they sold to the public, but a few years back I ran across an open gear lube that was waterproof, AND it skinned over like silicon so that dirt would not stick to it as easily. It was designed for the offshore market as a lubricant for their crane running gear. High tack so it did not drip (environmental).

This would be a great product for the through frame slides since it skins over after use, but goes back normal under use. A really innovative grease.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Hi eagledad,

No need to apologize for being new to this . . . we were all there once. The slide mechanism that you describe as under the slide is a different system referred to as underfloor or through frame. This does require lubrication but it must be something that will not gather dirt. Again, PTFE is good for this. When you have a question, if you post a picture, this will get us started in the right direction.

Rob
                    Thanks, how often should I spray the teeth down? Also what should I do to the seals around slide?
                    2020 Transcend 221RB

Comment

eagledad

This is a great video about slide lube, they have a lot of great videos and they are very short.
                      https://youtu.be/1h-GC2fnFds

Jim
                      Jim and Cindy
                      2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
                      2021 320G

Comment

The slide mechanism that you describe as under the slide is a different system referred to as underfloor or through frame. This does require lubrication but it must be something that will not gather dirt. Again, PTFE is good for this.
                        I never lubricated my slide mechanism because the manufacturer states it is not required. But now I am getting a lot of squeaks and groans when moving the slides. I always thought it was odd that a metal mechanism did not require some type of lubricant.

Will any PTFE lube work or is there a preferred type? And should it be applied to the rack or the gears? Or both?

Bob
                        2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
                        2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

Watching Todd’s tech tip Tuesday has me confused. Our 337 has through frame and schwintek slides. The Lippert info I have says for through frame, use soap and water no extra lubricants/grease. We are to use dry lube (3 in 1 silicone) on the schwintek tracks. Are we missing something by not lubing/siliconing the through frame slides, we do check to ensure it is clean?Click image for larger version

Name:	49DBE659-F0F7-4688-987F-2A8A43AEDC29.png
Views:	762
Size:	307.4 KB
ID:	88698
                          Elke and Heinz
                          2018 Chevy 3500 SRW Duramax SB
                          2021 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Originally posted by bogen2 View Post

I never lubricated my slide mechanism because the manufacturer states it is not required. But now I am getting a lot of squeaks and groans when moving the slides. I always thought it was odd that a metal mechanism did not require some type of lubricant.

Will any PTFE lube work or is there a preferred type? And should it be applied to the rack or the gears? Or both?

Bob
                            Hi Bob,

This appears to be another “difference of opinion” between Grand Design technicians and LCI. (see post #5). Several years ago, we arrived at a Rally with a squealing slide that could be heard across the campground. The GD Techs heard this and doused the gears and tracks with CRC Powerlube. The noise went away. Whenever slide travel begins to make noise, I do the same and the noise goes away. One of the Techs commented that “ we use this stuff on everything!”. Now . . . I do the same thing!

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I wonder if the change of heart from Lippert regarding the use of lubrication is that possibly owners were using the wrong type which caused its own issues. Maybe they figured using none causes less problems then using the wrong lube ?

Comment

Working...
                              X