No announcement yet.

2022 2500RL slide broken before first use... July 6, 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a 2021 2500RL, Love it, great trailer so far, except for the slide out. We too had it fail. We were about 700 miles from home when it decided to extend 4 inches longest on top than on bottom. So we get home, then it takes 2 months to get it into service, I call GD and they guy says yeah, been having issues with that generation Schwintek slides. I get it to the shop, $2000 bucks later it is repaired, and well, our warranty had expired, but they know they had problems with those particular slides. Our repair guy said he was going to contact GD and see if they would do anything about it, so far crickets, and it has been 4 months. That kind of pisses me off. The repair tech said my slide parts were from when Lippert first took over Schwintek and they were using s#it components, the replacement seems a lot better, I would love to replace it with the Vroom slide system, but I cant really afford the trip to Arizona and the 3K to replace it. I am actually hoping they will license that design out When we go to replace this trailer in a few years might look at different manufacturer after this episode.

Comment

Is the coach a 22 or a 21? It is sad the issues folks have encountered with the schwintek. They are widely used throughout the industry and on many brands. What was the issue with your slide that cost $2000?

Jim

Comment

In my case, 2022 2500RL and I am on the 3 complete mechanism, the 4th is under review. Each one has been a different issue but to say the least, this current one (3rd) is not working well either, runs slow mid way at times, pretty loud...

The dealer said the aluminum shafts are bowing quite a bit when fully extended due to size/weight and they claim to be talking to LCI about adding a guide block in the middle of the shaft, still waiting. LCI no longer makes the steel shafts so that is not an option

The dealer also said with the 4th install, they will have to do some body work as the mounting holes are getting suspect

What a mess for sure, it's the only thing on this trailer that I hate. Every time it goes in or out, I pray it's successful. Have already been stuck in Colorado with it stuck in, in a snow storm

Wonder if there is any chance this mechanism can be swapped out for the new rack and pinion style and if GD is even considering it for folks like us still under warranty

Comment

Originally posted by Toy4Rick View Post
          In my case, 2022 2500RL and I am on the 3 complete mechanism, the 4th is under review. Each one has been a different issue but to say the least, this current one (3rd) is not working well either, runs slow mid way at times, pretty loud...

The dealer said the aluminum shafts are bowing quite a bit when fully extended due to size/weight and they claim to be talking to LCI about adding a guide block in the middle of the shaft, still waiting. LCI no longer makes the steel shafts so that is not an option

The dealer also said with the 4th install, they will have to do some body work as the mounting holes are getting suspect

What a mess for sure, it's the only thing on this trailer that I hate. Every time it goes in or out, I pray it's successful. Have already been stuck in Colorado with it stuck in, in a snow storm

Wonder if there is any chance this mechanism can be swapped out for the new rack and pinion style and if GD is even considering it for folks like us still under warranty
          To give you some hope. We initially had an issue with our schwintek as well where it turned out to be a chafed wire followed by the same motor failing its gearbox. From the rust on the motor, I suspect the dealer had repaired one from another rig and installed it on mine. I can only suspect. But after I replaced this motor myself a year later, the slide works better than ever. I now keep a spare motor and harness in my rig, and we have had no issues in years. Now I went and did it.

Keep the schwintek lubricated with CRC with Teflon since the steel bushings rotate inside an aluminum housings. It also helps to lubricate the gibs in addition to keeping the battery charged when operating the system. Good when plugged in to run both the pedestal power and the battery too. The schwintek is a reliable design if its installed correctly, kept in sinc and lubricated.

Hopefully they get this aligned and supported properly and you have reliable operation in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXw9I_DoAvI

Jim
          Last edited by Guest; 01-29-2023, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Toy4Rick

4th Schwintek install? This sounds suspiciously like replacing a fuse time after time (that keeps blowing) and blaming the problem on faulty fuses. Possible...but not likely. The Schwintek system is not perfect, but it's not that bad. The original mechanism in my (now 5 year old) 315RLTS still works fine.

I'd query your dealer (and/or GD Customer Service) for the "why" behind all the failures.

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
              Toy4Rick

4th Schwintek install? This sounds suspiciously like replacing a fuse time after time (that keeps blowing) and blaming the problem on faulty fuses. Possible...but not likely. The Schwintek system is not perfect, but it's not that bad. The original mechanism in my (now 5 year old) 315RLTS still works fine.

I'd query your dealer (and/or GD Customer Service) for the "why" behind all the failures.

Howard
              I agree Howard. Something I suspect is up with the installation or floor support.

Jim

Comment

I had a similar problem with my 2021 Imagine 2970RL. After the shop replaced the Schwintek mechanism, I still had the issue. Grand Design had the shop take measurements of the kitchen slide and found it was out of square (not sure whether a Lippert defect on manufacturing or Grand Design on installation). It was out of warranty and after about 6 weeks, managed to get Grand Design to send a tech down to install a “kit” for this issue at no charge. The problem is apparently so common that they have a kit with all the parts the tech needed, but shops apparently don’t know how to to the fix. I was only down for 8 months of the first 2 years of ownership due to this issue. Sounds like a major quality control issue with both Lippert and Grand Design. Good luck on getting resolution.
                Eddie & Kathy
                2021 Imagine 2970RL
                2019 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab 4x4 Cummins 6.7L
                Houston, TX

Comment

Originally posted by Ebkent62 View Post
                  I had a similar problem with my 2021 Imagine 2970RL. After the shop replaced the Schwintek mechanism, I still had the issue. Grand Design had the shop take measurements of the kitchen slide and found it was out of square (not sure whether a Lippert defect on manufacturing or Grand Design on installation). It was out of warranty and after about 6 weeks, managed to get Grand Design to send a tech down to install a “kit” for this issue at no charge. The problem is apparently so common that they have a kit with all the parts the tech needed, but shops apparently don’t know how to to the fix. I was only down for 8 months of the first 2 years of ownership due to this issue. Sounds like a major quality control issue with both Lippert and Grand Design. Good luck on getting resolution.
                  It seems most issues with the Schwintek have to do with installation. We have several years now on our 2017 Imagine after replacing a bad motor (installation issue). Since that time, we have had reliable operation and are moving into season 7.

If the slide is installed correctly, lubricated, and kept in sync. I believe it can be reliable. For those with huge, heavy slides, its best to try and keep them light, especially when traveling. Some have fridges in the slide where that's a tough call.
                  We have the large slide on the 2600RB where I used to store drinks and other heavy items in the dinette seat storage. We learned early on to store drinks under the bed and leave the slide loaded only with light weight items.

Sad how sometimes the only thing that is sliding on the Schwintek is its reputation.

Jim
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-30-2023, 06:37 PM.

Comment

OK, here goes

Trailer new, slide completely froze up (retracted) about 2 months in while in a snow storm in CO, dealer found a screw in the bottom bearing block
                    Second mechanism installed, 3 weeks later, jumping, banging, getting out of sync by 5"... dealer said GD sent 500:1 motor with aluminum shafts which needs 300:1
                    Third mechanism, working but not great, slow mid way going in or out, starting to make more grinding and bumping noises, dealer says it's b/c the size/weight of the slide so when it's going in/out the shafts are bending quite a bit in the middle. In their opinion, the shaft needs a guide block in the middle, something they are talking to GD about

Just sucks

Comment

Question about these Schwintek slide issues. Has the issue been resolved with the newer 2023 models or is this still a reoccurring problem? Since I just purchased our 2500RL, but it's too cold to begin camping, should I be concerned in a couple months for our 1st trip?
                      Mark
                      Current: 2023 GD Imagine 2500RL, 2018 F150 CrewCab King Ranch FX4, Equal-i-zer WD
                      Previous: 2013 Cougar 31SQB, 2015 F350 CC King Ranch FX4, 2007 GMC LBZ 2500.

Comment

Originally posted by mepgray View Post
                        Question about these Schwintek slide issues. Has the issue been resolved with the newer 2023 models or is this still a reoccurring problem? Since I just purchased our 2500RL, but it's too cold to begin camping, should I be concerned in a couple months for our 1st trip?
                        The resolution on the new 2023 models is, to my knowledge, replacing the Schwintek slide with a thru-frame slide. The latter is much more capable of carrying the weight associated with the slide. This change is only possible at the manufacturing level--no way to change from one to the other after-the-fact.

Note that what I mean by "new 2023" is the models manufactured in the second half of the model year. For example, I have a '19 315RLTS but it's in reality an '18 with a '19 VIN. The later '19 315RLTS' have different features than my trailer. So you could have a '23 with a Schwintek and I won't be surprised.

Howard
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

The resolution on the new 2023 models is, to my knowledge, replacing the Schwintek slide with a thru-frame slide. The latter is much more capable of carrying the weight associated with the slide. This change is only possible at the manufacturing level--no way to change from one to the other after-the-fact.

Note that what I mean by "new 2023" is the models manufactured in the second half of the model year. For example, I have a '19 315RLTS but it's in reality an '18 with a '19 VIN. The later '19 315RLTS' have different features than my trailer. So you could have a '23 with a Schwintek and I won't be surprised.

Howard
                          Not sure, but am guessing here that ours is an early 2023 model since the date sticker on the inside compartment door is dated 5/22/2023. I unfortunately don't have any pictures since we haven't yet taken delivery of the camper (picking it up this coming Saturday). Interesting though, the dealer still shows it as available on their website. https://www.cousinsrv.com/product/ne...0rl-1896520-29

Does this thru-frame slide look different from the side? Meaning, does it still have the tracks on the top & bottom sides?
                          Mark
                          Current: 2023 GD Imagine 2500RL, 2018 F150 CrewCab King Ranch FX4, Equal-i-zer WD
                          Previous: 2013 Cougar 31SQB, 2015 F350 CC King Ranch FX4, 2007 GMC LBZ 2500.

Comment

howson Howard if you look at pic "IMG 6695" the skirting is split and moves with the slide. Do you know if this would be the through frame slide? I thought the in wall slide systems all were above the skirting.

Note the vin number is given, any way to get in touch with someone at GD and see what system the slide has??
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by mepgray View Post

Not sure, but am guessing here that ours is an early 2023 model since the date sticker on the inside compartment door is dated 5/22/2023. I unfortunately don't have any pictures since we haven't yet taken delivery of the camper (picking it up this coming Saturday). Interesting though, the dealer still shows it as available on their website. https://www.cousinsrv.com/product/ne...0rl-1896520-29

Does this thru-frame slide look different from the side? Meaning, does it still have the tracks on the top & bottom sides?
                              The Schwintek is obvious--there's the tracks on the side of the slide one near the top and one near the bottom, both sides. A thru-frame will have tracks underneath the slide. Totally different system.

If you'd like to dig into more detail, go to https://support.lci1.com/slide-outs/

The "In-Wall Slide-Out" is what we commonly call the Schwintek. The Through Frame Selections will have Electric Slide System options. (No difference in operation on the size, so choose either the 2x2 or 2x3 option).

Click image for larger version

Name:	slides.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	105736

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                                howson Howard if you look at pic "IMG 6695" the skirting is split and moves with the slide. Do you know if this would be the through frame slide? I thought the in wall slide systems all were above the skirting.

Note the vin number is given, any way to get in touch with someone at GD and see what system the slide has??
                                Sorry, Joseph, not sure what you mean by IMG 6695. Not sure about identifying a slide type by how the skirting is installed--haven't heard that one before.

Comment

Working...
                                X