2022 2500RL slide broken before first use... July 6, 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 2500RL slide broken before first use... July 6, 2022

Uhg - untimely failure. I retrieved our as-yet unused rig from the storage building, brought it home for some final stuff before leaving for a long planned 10 day trip on July 22nd. As I began to open the slide, it went a few inches and I noticed the forward side lagging. I released the switch, and brought it successfully back in. I checked for any visible obstruction, none. I again began to extend it, same thing happened. Upon moving it back in, one of the gears on the forward shaft slipped a few teeth. The control unit never showed any codes. Since we took delivery of the new trailer, the slide has been extended perhaps 4 times total.

We brought it to our dealer this morning. Wish us luck! Worst case is we'll pick it up and use it with the slide in. Obnoxious for sure, but better than cancelling the trip which is timed with another event so cannot simply be delayed.

I do not know if the LIppert TSB 146-001-2022 is involved here or not.

Here you can see the issue. The rear mechanism is ok.

EDIT 21JUL22, repair work completed by the dealer, see a post below for details.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Slide hosed up.jpg Views:	140 Size:	65.1 KB ID:	89494
    Last edited by AlexPeterson; 07-21-2022, 08:28 PM.
    Ottertail, Minnesota
    2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
    2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Hi Alex, I had the exact same thing happen to my 2022 Imagine 2500 RL. I took a picture that looks exactly like yours! We had just gotten home with our new Imagine, set it up and the very first time I tried the slideout, this happened. We returned to the dealer the next day (150 miles away) and it's been there ever since. We've been waiting since June 7 and I'm now told the parts won't arrive at the dealership service department until July 15! We've had to cancel three separate trips. The dealership said they have 8 other units in the same condition and there has been a recall however, I haven't seen a recall notification yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Montana View Post
      Hi Alex, I had the exact same thing happen to my 2022 Imagine 2500 RL. I took a picture that looks exactly like yours! We had just gotten home with our new Imagine, set it up and the very first time I tried the slideout, this happened. We returned to the dealer the next day (150 miles away) and it's been there ever since. We've been waiting since June 7 and I'm now told the parts won't arrive at the dealership service department until July 15! We've had to cancel three separate trips. The dealership said they have 8 other units in the same condition and there has been a recall however, I haven't seen a recall notification yet.
      Uhg, that really is not good news. As I said, we'll pick it up and take our trip with the slide in if we have to. Grand Design really should divert parts from their production to fix things like this, since one could argue the production on our units is not yet complete!
      Ottertail, Minnesota

Comment

Dang man that sucks

Put me into the same category, new 2500RL with a failed slide. Dealer received approval from GD to replace the mechanism, they have placed the order, pending an update on delivery...

Now, the failed Refrig... that is another story

Comment

We have a new 2022 2970RL which has 2 slides, one frame slide, one Schwintek. Have 3 camping trips plus many driveway setups (to do adds/mods/decoration) So would guess we've run the slides over 30 times. I ALWAYS hold the button on the Schwintek until completely out or completely in, and hold it until it "sings" then no noise. Then let go and hold it again, but no noise. Also ALWAYS completely level and stabilizers down.

So 2 days ago setting up in the driveway front side of Schwintek would go about 5 inches and stop, back side would continue. I ran it back in fully, held button until the singing stopped, and tried again. Same, ran back and tried again, while I applied pressure to the front side from inside the RV. Still would stop at 5 inches of travel.

From my understanding running it back in until everything and motors are silent is supposed to sync it back up... if that was the problem.

As last resort went and found the controller (under the bathroom sink, had to remove a trim piece under the sink to get to it.

Did the 6 push and hold on the 7 push until the lights blink.

WORKED!

I ran it all the way out. Then all the way back in. Then all the way back out again.

No binding, no problems.

If I add to this post this weekend, it will be a sad face emoji, but I'm hopeful just a weird out for sync for some reason, one off......! ? ?

Comment

Originally posted by BLoflin View Post
            We have a new 2022 2970RL which has 2 slides, one frame slide, one Schwintek. Have 3 camping trips plus many driveway setups (to do adds/mods/decoration) So would guess we've run the slides over 30 times. I ALWAYS hold the button on the Schwintek until completely out or completely in, and hold it until it "sings" then no noise. Then let go and hold it again, but no noise. Also ALWAYS completely level and stabilizers down.

So 2 days ago setting up in the driveway front side of Schwintek would go about 5 inches and stop, back side would continue. I ran it back in fully, held button until the singing stopped, and tried again. Same, ran back and tried again, while I applied pressure to the front side from inside the RV. Still would stop at 5 inches of travel.

From my understanding running it back in until everything and motors are silent is supposed to sync it back up... if that was the problem.

As last resort went and found the controller (under the bathroom sink, had to remove a trim piece under the sink to get to it.

Did the 6 push and hold on the 7 push until the lights blink.

WORKED!

I ran it all the way out. Then all the way back in. Then all the way back out again.

No binding, no problems.

If I add to this post this weekend, it will be a sad face emoji, but I'm hopeful just a weird out for sync for some reason, one off......! ? ?
            You're lucky - yours seems to have been a software problem. The three of us who have posted in this thread all have mechanical problems...
            Ottertail, Minnesota

Comment

You can add us to this list. Used the slide on our 260RD twice. Same thing happened. Been back at dealer for two weeks now. We're told 6 weeks for parts. Totally unacceptable. Dealer and grand design both knew of this problem before we picked up our new camper on June 4th. No one said a word. 2 trips canceled so far. We are not "happy campers"

Comment

Following up on this. Good news, we picked up the trailer at the dealer (60 miles away), the slide rack gears and gear housings are all new. As I understand it, Lippert has made a repair kit for this sort of problem. I didn't fully understand the flaw that was baked into the design which failed, but the service guy said this failure is why this particular repair kit was hastily created.

When I called the dealer the day of the first post in this thread, he said they were not scheduling service until the 26th of July. But, he said to bring it over asap and they'd get the parts coming their way. I understand the dealer called Grand Design, who was very quick to get the parts sent. Parts came in Monday, July 18th, work completed yesterday. I was insistent in telling them I was picking it up July 21st (which we did, today), and that even if the slideout was still jammed in, we'd take it anyway.

Leaving in the morning for our first trip with the new trailer!
                Ottertail, Minnesota

Comment

Dealer said our entire mechanism needed to be replaced, GD approved it, 6w plus just for parts. I contacted Schwintek and they said, nah, parts are 1d out from order, they gave me a case and said to have the dealer call them directly.

Spoke to the dealer, they were skeptical but tried it anyway, parts were ordered the next day, shipped 2 days later and were scheduled to arrive today, total of 9 business days from order... should be installed monday

Apparently GD is part of the 6w+ delay, go straight to Schwintek and it should be significantly faster

Rick

Comment

AlexPeterson - not to state the obvious, but you'll might want to run the slide out a couple of times to verify it's fixed. Keeping my fingers crossed for you that it's all fixed! Ours is at the repair shop waiting for them new gear rack and components.

Toy4Rick - I called my repair shop last week after seeing a prior post of yours about the direct to Lippert suggestion. I was going to call Lippert like you suggested. 2 hours later my repair shop said GD contacted them (the repair shop) and said our new slide mechanism should arrive "in a couple of days." Will be interesting to see if that happens. If it does, that means the receipt was only about two weeks from when my repair shop contacted GD for the parts. Keeping my fingers crossed on this as well. Next trip is quickly approaching.
                    Mike and Rebecca
                    2022 Reflection 150 260RD, October 2021 build date.
                    2001 Chev 2500 HD 8.1 liter 4x4

Comment

[QUOTE=Mike & Rebecca;n90998]AlexPeterson - not to state the obvious, but you'll might want to run the slide out a couple of times to verify it's fixed. Keeping my fingers crossed for you that it's all fixed! Ours is at the repair shop waiting for them new gear rack and components.

Mike, yes, and we did run it out when we were at the dealer and again when we got it home. We're at the big airshow in Oshkosh with it. So far so good!

Ottertail, Minnesota

Comment

AlexPeterson , I should have added that my suggestion was because I neglected to test a repair on a previous slide repair, and I was angry with myself. Fortunately, we made it through the next trip, but the slide definitely wasn't fixed. I won't forget next time! Glad it's working for you. FYI - our next trip is to an airshow as well. Going to see the Thunderbirds in McMinnville, OR
                        Mike and Rebecca
                        2022 Reflection 150 260RD, October 2021 build date.
                        2001 Chev 2500 HD 8.1 liter 4x4

Comment

Bought new trailer in April. Two trips both ruined by Schwintek slide malfunction. Repair has not worked after lengthy stay at dealer. Best hope is a
                          lippert recall. Probably not going to happen. All Brands and types of RVs have used these. We have had several RVs, no problems. Very frustrated manufacturers continue to use these. Since it has been repaired once, Grand Design says it is no longer their problem.

Comment

Originally posted by scooter View Post
                            Bought new trailer in April. Two trips both ruined by Schwintek slide malfunction. Repair has not worked after lengthy stay at dealer. Best hope is a
                            lippert recall. Probably not going to happen. All Brands and types of RVs have used these. We have had several RVs, no problems. Very frustrated manufacturers continue to use these. Since it has been repaired once, Grand Design says it is no longer their problem.
                            Out of curiosity, what year and model GD?
                            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

AlexPeterson, Montana, Toy4Rick

Had the exact same issue with a new 2022 2500RL. Purchased in February and ran into the problem on our 4th outing in June. We were at a Harvest Host and I needed to move to our next location for the week. I finally got the slide in but my front got so out of whack that the floor of the slide tore the vinyl on the floor when it was retracted all the way in. While at the HH I immediately put a claim into GD and they said I had to have an authorized dealer fix it. I checked with the local dealer and they couldn't touch it for another month. After doing some research on the Schwintek mechanism, I reached back to GD and they approved me to fix it myself. I ended up removing the slide mechanism from the wall and re-aligning the slide rack successfully. But, it still made a popping noise at the end of it's extended stroke. Forward to today and we have been successful by being very careful to extend and retract the slide over about 6 trips. My 1 year complementary inspection with my dealer was done in December and I mentioned the problem and gave them my GD claim number. Suggested they contact Lippert to expedite (Thanks Toy4Rick!) They looked into it and ran it by GD and are now replacing the entire mechanism and fixing the floor! Coincidentally when I dropped off the trailer for it’s repair, I happened to notice that the dealer had a new 2023 2500RL. Wouldn’t you know it, they have changed the slide mechanism to a rack and pinion set-up
                              Last edited by Country Campers; 01-08-2023, 03:29 PM. Reason: changed font to Forum standard
                              Lang, Kris & Toby
                              2022 GD Imagine 2500RL
                              2022 Ram Limited Longhorn 5’7” box, 3.92 rear

Comment

Working...
                              X