X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iborders19
    replied
    Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
    I think that GD only changed to the thru frame slide on the larger heavier slide outs. I think that the one in the 2500RL, containing only the couch and refer, could still be the Schwintek style.

Brian
    I just purchased a 2023 2500rl and can confirm it has the thru frame slide out mechanism. No Schwintek.

Leave a comment:

• Npierce
    replied
    We bought our 2022 2500RL Feb 2022 and had the slide assembly replaced in Sept22. It took 6 weeks to complete the repair. In our case, the plastic spur gears were chewed up and replaced with steel spur gears. We’ll see if this fixed the problem when we use it agin in the spring. If not, then the extended warranty we bought recently will come in handy.

Leave a comment:

• Jlawles2
    replied
    Originally posted by howson View Post

Sorry, Joseph, not sure what you mean by IMG 6695. Not sure about identifying a slide type by how the skirting is installed--haven't heard that one before.
    When you go to the web page of the selling dealer there are multiple images. On my computer the images have names.

As to identifying I did not know if the in wall slide was full height taking the skirting with it, or if it was just above the trim line that moved.

Looking at the ad for a 2020 model, I can now see that the skirting is split and moves with the slide. https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/202...0RL-5024748296 Did not think to look at older model ads earlier.

Leave a comment:

• howson
    replied
    Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
    I think that GD only changed to the thru frame slide on the larger heavier slide outs. I think that the one in the 2500RL, containing only the couch and refer, could still be the Schwintek style.

Brian
    mepgray -- I don't know for sure that the 2500RL has changed.

Leave a comment:

• Country Campers
    replied

Brian

Leave a comment:

• mepgray
    replied

The Schwintek is obvious--there's the tracks on the side of the slide one near the top and one near the bottom, both sides. A thru-frame will have tracks underneath the slide. Totally different system.

If you'd like to dig into more detail, go to https://support.lci1.com/slide-outs/

The "In-Wall Slide-Out" is what we commonly call the Schwintek. The Through Frame Selections will have Electric Slide System options. (No difference in operation on the size, so choose either the 2x2 or 2x3 option).

Click image for larger version

Name:	slides.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	105736
    Thanks. I'm familiar with the Hydraulic slide as that was on my Cougar... didn't know they were synonymous with thru-frame. Am 99.9% sure this new rig has the SchwinTex slides as I don't recall seeing the hydraulic slide components.

Leave a comment:

• howson
    replied
    Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
    howson Howard if you look at pic "IMG 6695" the skirting is split and moves with the slide. Do you know if this would be the through frame slide? I thought the in wall slide systems all were above the skirting.

Note the vin number is given, any way to get in touch with someone at GD and see what system the slide has??
    Sorry, Joseph, not sure what you mean by IMG 6695. Not sure about identifying a slide type by how the skirting is installed--haven't heard that one before.

Leave a comment:

• howson
    replied
    Originally posted by mepgray View Post

Not sure, but am guessing here that ours is an early 2023 model since the date sticker on the inside compartment door is dated 5/22/2023. I unfortunately don't have any pictures since we haven't yet taken delivery of the camper (picking it up this coming Saturday). Interesting though, the dealer still shows it as available on their website. https://www.cousinsrv.com/product/ne...0rl-1896520-29

Does this thru-frame slide look different from the side? Meaning, does it still have the tracks on the top & bottom sides?
    The Schwintek is obvious--there's the tracks on the side of the slide one near the top and one near the bottom, both sides. A thru-frame will have tracks underneath the slide. Totally different system.

If you'd like to dig into more detail, go to https://support.lci1.com/slide-outs/

The "In-Wall Slide-Out" is what we commonly call the Schwintek. The Through Frame Selections will have Electric Slide System options. (No difference in operation on the size, so choose either the 2x2 or 2x3 option).

Click image for larger version

Name:	slides.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	105736

Leave a comment:

• Jlawles2
    replied
    howson Howard if you look at pic "IMG 6695" the skirting is split and moves with the slide. Do you know if this would be the through frame slide? I thought the in wall slide systems all were above the skirting.

Note the vin number is given, any way to get in touch with someone at GD and see what system the slide has??

Leave a comment:

• mepgray
    replied

The resolution on the new 2023 models is, to my knowledge, replacing the Schwintek slide with a thru-frame slide. The latter is much more capable of carrying the weight associated with the slide. This change is only possible at the manufacturing level--no way to change from one to the other after-the-fact.

Note that what I mean by "new 2023" is the models manufactured in the second half of the model year. For example, I have a '19 315RLTS but it's in reality an '18 with a '19 VIN. The later '19 315RLTS' have different features than my trailer. So you could have a '23 with a Schwintek and I won't be surprised.

Howard
    Not sure, but am guessing here that ours is an early 2023 model since the date sticker on the inside compartment door is dated 5/22/2023. I unfortunately don't have any pictures since we haven't yet taken delivery of the camper (picking it up this coming Saturday). Interesting though, the dealer still shows it as available on their website. https://www.cousinsrv.com/product/ne...0rl-1896520-29

Does this thru-frame slide look different from the side? Meaning, does it still have the tracks on the top & bottom sides?

Leave a comment:

• howson
    replied
    Originally posted by mepgray View Post
    Question about these Schwintek slide issues. Has the issue been resolved with the newer 2023 models or is this still a reoccurring problem? Since I just purchased our 2500RL, but it's too cold to begin camping, should I be concerned in a couple months for our 1st trip?
    The resolution on the new 2023 models is, to my knowledge, replacing the Schwintek slide with a thru-frame slide. The latter is much more capable of carrying the weight associated with the slide. This change is only possible at the manufacturing level--no way to change from one to the other after-the-fact.

Note that what I mean by "new 2023" is the models manufactured in the second half of the model year. For example, I have a '19 315RLTS but it's in reality an '18 with a '19 VIN. The later '19 315RLTS' have different features than my trailer. So you could have a '23 with a Schwintek and I won't be surprised.

Howard

Leave a comment:

• mepgray
    replied
    Question about these Schwintek slide issues. Has the issue been resolved with the newer 2023 models or is this still a reoccurring problem? Since I just purchased our 2500RL, but it's too cold to begin camping, should I be concerned in a couple months for our 1st trip?

Leave a comment:

• Toy4Rick
    replied
    OK, here goes

Trailer new, slide completely froze up (retracted) about 2 months in while in a snow storm in CO, dealer found a screw in the bottom bearing block
    Second mechanism installed, 3 weeks later, jumping, banging, getting out of sync by 5"... dealer said GD sent 500:1 motor with aluminum shafts which needs 300:1
    Third mechanism, working but not great, slow mid way going in or out, starting to make more grinding and bumping noises, dealer says it's b/c the size/weight of the slide so when it's going in/out the shafts are bending quite a bit in the middle. In their opinion, the shaft needs a guide block in the middle, something they are talking to GD about

Just sucks

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Ebkent62 View Post
    I had a similar problem with my 2021 Imagine 2970RL. After the shop replaced the Schwintek mechanism, I still had the issue. Grand Design had the shop take measurements of the kitchen slide and found it was out of square (not sure whether a Lippert defect on manufacturing or Grand Design on installation). It was out of warranty and after about 6 weeks, managed to get Grand Design to send a tech down to install a “kit” for this issue at no charge. The problem is apparently so common that they have a kit with all the parts the tech needed, but shops apparently don’t know how to to the fix. I was only down for 8 months of the first 2 years of ownership due to this issue. Sounds like a major quality control issue with both Lippert and Grand Design. Good luck on getting resolution.
    It seems most issues with the Schwintek have to do with installation. We have several years now on our 2017 Imagine after replacing a bad motor (installation issue). Since that time, we have had reliable operation and are moving into season 7.

If the slide is installed correctly, lubricated, and kept in sync. I believe it can be reliable. For those with huge, heavy slides, its best to try and keep them light, especially when traveling. Some have fridges in the slide where that's a tough call.
    We have the large slide on the 2600RB where I used to store drinks and other heavy items in the dinette seat storage. We learned early on to store drinks under the bed and leave the slide loaded only with light weight items.

Sad how sometimes the only thing that is sliding on the Schwintek is its reputation.

Jim
    Last edited by Guest; 01-30-2023, 06:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ebkent62
    replied
    I had a similar problem with my 2021 Imagine 2970RL. After the shop replaced the Schwintek mechanism, I still had the issue. Grand Design had the shop take measurements of the kitchen slide and found it was out of square (not sure whether a Lippert defect on manufacturing or Grand Design on installation). It was out of warranty and after about 6 weeks, managed to get Grand Design to send a tech down to install a “kit” for this issue at no charge. The problem is apparently so common that they have a kit with all the parts the tech needed, but shops apparently don’t know how to to the fix. I was only down for 8 months of the first 2 years of ownership due to this issue. Sounds like a major quality control issue with both Lippert and Grand Design. Good luck on getting resolution.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X