Tricky Schwintek Slide Motor Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tricky Schwintek Slide Motor Replacement

Hi all, I have a 2021 GD Imagine XLS 17MKE with a Schwintek in wall slide out. I have already had to replace the forward motor once due to water damage done by the previous owner, and it now appears I have a Hall effect sensor failure on my rearward motor. Problem is there is no access to the rear motor on the inside of the coach as it is pinned right up against the bathroom wall. My question is, has anybody removed the slide out trim from the inside of the coach in order to replace one of these motors? I would rather do that and struggle cosmetically replacing the slide trim than l removing the H column from the outside and running into any larger issues in that undertaking.

Wow. That will be a tough one. I have no experience with this one, but I'll be watching your thread to see how things go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	17MKE.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	91058

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

The trim on the inside should be nailed on, maybe even pin nails. Gently try to pry it off. The next board will be screwed to the end of the slide box. Getting both removed you should have access to the motor.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks Jim. Yeah, not thrilled about this one, because the same 1 foot of overall length that would allow the Murphy bed to come down with the slide in, would also probably have been able to provide 6 inches of working room to get this motor out. Lol

Comment

Thank you so much Brian. I will report back regarding the success of my procedure sometime this week. 😄

Comment

Procedure was successful. Decorative trim was stapled and glued and the boards under that were just screwed to the slide out frame. After that it was a 10 minute motor swap. Thanks all for the assistance!

Comment

Originally posted by Mattsweaver19 View Post
              Procedure was successful. Decorative trim was stapled and glued and the boards under that were just screwed to the slide out frame. After that it was a 10 minute motor swap. Thanks all for the assistance!
              Nice! The Schwintek motors on my trailer are the same. Glad to know it's an easy fix.
              Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

One more helpful tip I saw on another forum was to re-attach the decorative trim with a thin Velcro. That way if you’re in a pinch and need to access the motor on the road you can simply pop the decorative trim off and unscrew the flange/molding on the slide frame and have very easy access to the motor within 2 minutes.

Comment

One more helpful tip I saw on another forum was to re-attach the decorative trim with a thin Velcro. That way if you’re in a pinch and need to access the motor on the road you can simply pop the decorative trim off and unscrew the flange/molding on the slide frame and have very easy access to the motor within 2 minutes.
                  Now if the Schwintek motor could just come in a magazine or cartridge that would automatically pop a new one in when the old one failed...I actually like the Velcro idea but hate that solves a real and not so uncommon problem.

Comment

You said the decorative trim was stapled and glued. Did the glue cause you any grief? As in damage to trim when removing?
                    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

We used 3M industrial Velcro at work to hold laptops in cars as well as other tasks and it would certainly hold that trim on if enough is applied. A good idea.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                        You said the decorative trim was stapled and glued. Did the glue cause you any grief? As in damage to trim when removing?
                        No, they came off pretty easily going slow and stead with some pry bars.

Comment

No, they came off pretty easily going slow and stead with some pry bars.
                          Thanks for the feedback.
                          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Working...
                          X