Slide toppers collecting water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide toppers collecting water

I have slide toppers on my unit and they seem to sag and collect water after a storm. Any way to prevent this or clear the water after a storm?
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S 3740BH
    Tow vehicle 2022 Ford F350 6.7L diesel long box crew cab

Some have put inflatable thingies under the fabric, small tubes or rafts, to keep water from pooling.

The best way to clear the water after a storm is to stand directly beside one end of the slide and have another person retract the slide, it will be fun to have the large amount of water cascading down on top of your head, well maybe fun for the person running the slide in ( trust me this will only happen once).

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I saw a neighbor put underinflated beach balls under the toppers to lift the center higher than the edges.
      Ted
      2021 Reflection 310RLS
      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

We used to worry about puddles on top of the slide toppers. Tried beach balls but they wouldn't stay put. Golf cart inner tubes on a rope stayed in place better. Then, I realized that the water wasn't hurting anything and actually dampens topper flapping in a breeze. Now . . . I just don't worry about the puddles.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

It's more the recommendation of the dealer not to roll it up with water on it but I find if you do it slowly in increments it's comes off okay. Just don't know if it's good for the topper fabric or the motor 🤔

Comment

Originally posted by 941cowboy View Post
            It's more the recommendation of the dealer not to roll it up with water on it but I find if you do it slowly in increments it's comes off okay. Just don't know if it's good for the topper fabric or the motor 🤔
            Part of standard stuff I carry is a boat hook. 7 foot long stored, 19 foot extended. I use the handle end (bigger and smoother) to go between the slide corner and the topper and push up on the topper from underneath. Gives just enough upward movement to empty the topper and can all be done standing on the ground. However, I also often just leave it as Rob mentioned.

Terry
            Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
            2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
            2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

Agreed that the toppers should not be "stored away" wet. For a travel day, I would not worry about it, but would definitely make sure the toppers are dry (and preferably washed) before closing the slides for an extended period. The standing water (and even snow . . . ask me how I know this ) will roll off as the slide comes in.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                We used to worry about puddles on top of the slide toppers. Tried beach balls but they wouldn't stay put. Golf cart inner tubes on a rope stayed in place better. Then, I realized that the water wasn't hurting anything and actually dampens topper flapping in a breeze. Now . . . I just don't worry about the puddles.

Rob
                I came to the same conclusion.

Mike
                Mike & Sonya
                2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
                Blue Ox SwayPro
                2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Originally posted by NoPeeking View Post

I came to the same conclusion.

Mike
                  The conclusion I have come to is they are not for me. I see no benefit.

But wouldn't pool noodles do the job of helping with the sag? They come in several diameters I think?
                  2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, I think I may make a bubble wrap log and see how that works.

Comment

We are new to Grand Design. We have water intrusion around the top of the LR slide out if we don't very retract the slide in slow increments. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Or experience with the same thing? If we retract the slide after a heavy rain all at once, water comes in thru the top of the slide on the inside. Yes, we have a work around, as described above, but wondering is this is normal or something we should take in for service?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim and Beth View Post
                        We are new to Grand Design. We have water intrusion around the top of the LR slide out if we don't very retract the slide in slow increments. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Or experience with the same thing? If we retract the slide after a heavy rain all at once, water comes in thru the top of the slide on the inside. Yes, we have a work around, as described above, but wondering is this is normal or something we should take in for service?
                        The "roof" of the slide should be titled towards the outside, away from the RV wall, this should allow rain water to drain from the slide roof. You can check this with a level when the RV is totally level to see if there is fall in the roof. There may not be much or there may be a spot that pools water.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I'm with post #9 where if I had them would be with post #7.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                          X