Schwintek wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schwintek wiring

First off thank you for every thing I have learned by reading here.
    Yesterday our right front tire lost its tread and took out the wiring to the front slide motor
    We are going to get a new tire in the morning and then to glacier np
    when we get there we will try to get the slide out manually
    I have read the manual and wondering about any hints and tricks to help
    also any ideas on getting the motor wire back to the motor and splicing
    the wire was pulled down and dragging behind
    thank you
    2021 imagine 2670mk
    2018 Chevrolet 3500 6.6 diesel long box 4door srw

Billo

First--I assume a "field repair" of the wire is not possible? If the end (connector) is damaged probably not.

If the wire is beyond repair, what I'd do is remove the front motor (where the wire is bad). When moving the slide put it in override mode (so the controller doesn't look for the Hall Effect signal). Slowly drive the slide with the one good motor while a person is pushing the side without the motor. Keep the two sides parallel! Do this very carefully and slowly the first couple of times to get the feel of what's required--you don't want to damage the slide components.

For travel, rig up a 2x4 or something similar between the inside wall of the trailer and the inside frame of the side of the slide without the motor (to ensure it doesn't try to open). Here's a thread that might help clarify: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-for-a-315rlts

If you need some help with how to remove the motor, check out the MyRVWorks YouTube channel. His Schwintek videos are some of the best I've seen (and go into great detail).

Please report back with how it goes (and the final resolution).

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you
      after I made the post I looked closer and saw the trim piece hiding the wire, removed it and saw the wire had broke where it
      went through the floor. I had six feet or more of wire dragging behind where it came out of the frame and had thought it
      had pulled lose at the motor but it was extra that GD left in the belly, thank you GD. After splicing the wires I was able to move it
      out a couple inches and back in. I will wait until glacier later today to open it fully.

thank you for your reply
      Bill
      2021 imagine 2670mk

Comment

Originally posted by Billo View Post
        Thank you
        after I made the post I looked closer and saw the trim piece hiding the wire, removed it and saw the wire had broke where it
        went through the floor. I had six feet or more of wire dragging behind where it came out of the frame and had thought it
        had pulled lose at the motor but it was extra that GD left in the belly, thank you GD. After splicing the wires I was able to move it
        out a couple inches and back in. I will wait until glacier later today to open it fully.

thank you for your reply
        Bill
        I had a similar accident last year in my wheel well, when that loose wire in the underbelly worked it's way out, rubbing against the tire. After cutting out the shredded section of cable I had enough excess wire to successfully splice all wires back together. I soldered all wires, used heat shrink tubing, wrapped everything in electrical tape, and applied waterproofing cement. Just like new and has worked ever since!

You should be fine with a temporary fix until you get home if that is the only issue.
        2020 Reflection 273MK
        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

I used small wire nuts. Will have to bring the soldering iron from now on.
          the slide worked fine when we got set up.
          I was worried they had pulled out of the end connections. I will look closer
          when we are home.
          Thank you
          Bill
          2021 imagine 2670mk

Comment

That's great. At the time I had no idea the wiring came through the wheel well. Discovered it when I got home, and after troubleshooting every other possibility.

After getting my slide back in manually, I spent the last week of my trip without extending my slide. If I'd only did what you did!!!
            2020 Reflection 273MK
            2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Working...
            X