No announcement yet.

Underside treatment for OSB slide-out floor panel - slide-out floor replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underside treatment for OSB slide-out floor panel - slide-out floor replacement

I'm replacing the OSB floor panel on my bedroom slide-out (schwintek) due to water damage, but I'm not sure what the underside of the panel is treated with. It looks like some sort of olive green fiber cloth. See pic for reference. Does anyone know what this is and where I can buy some?

Thanks!
    -Colin W.
    2015 Solitude 369RL

I've also wondered what that material is myself. Could you not just paint the underside of the OSB with some type of epoxy based paint and get better protection?
    2020 Reflection 273MK
    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

That's my current backup plan. I don't have any experience with epoxy paint though. You think it'd be superior? I'm a bit worried epoxy paint would reduce the wood's ability to breathe and dry out if it gets wet. I do know I want to avoid the plastic weave fabric I see on other RVs. That stuff doesn't seem to work very well.

Comment

OSB vs. Marine Grade Plywood (not pressure treated). I am not an expert but have seen and experienced the results when choosing the wrong material. Since you are doing the hard work of replacing the floor, I am guessing that you will want to do this only once. There are many factors that go into selecting the proper material so your decision will be very personal. Good luck with your project. I have added a link that will provide more data to consider when matching the material to the project. Plywood vs. OSB
        Al & Ann
        F150 with Max Tow Pkg.
        Imagine 2670MK (2021)

Comment

I know the material you are talking about as they have been using it on various campers for years. I cannot find it on the parts lookup for my 303, but this might be something to consider: https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...ts/detail/4273 otherwise you may need to make a call to GD.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

I called GD and they told me they buy the OSB panels pre-treated with the barrier fabric. Anyone who needs to replace an OSB panel in a 2019 or newer and wants OEM can contact Parkland Plastics in Indiana. Super nice people, immediately new exactly what product they provide to GD and offered to write up a quote.

For anything older, at least back to 2015, the OSB was provided by Blue Linx. I don't have high hopes of finding out what the original product was, but I'll update this if they ever get back to me with more info.

Either way, the weather barrier is part of the OSB manufacturing process- so no hope of buying the fabric and applying it myself. I'm thinking I'll probably come up with some crazy weatherproofing treatment with whatever products are available. If anyone is interested, I'll let y'all know what I end up doing.

Thanks for the replies!

Comment

I really like the idea of marine grade plywood, and then maybe painted accordingly. Assuming you can get it locally it's going to be a lot less expensive than shipping a large piece of OSB. Maybe it's just me, but unless the trailer were on a permanent location with the slide left extended for long periods of time, I don't feel it's going to get a lot of moisture.
              2020 Reflection 273MK
              2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by colinsw View Post
                I called GD and they told me they buy the OSB panels pre-treated with the barrier fabric. Anyone who needs to replace an OSB panel in a 2019 or newer and wants OEM can contact Parkland Plastics in Indiana. Super nice people, immediately new exactly what product they provide to GD and offered to write up a quote.

For anything older, at least back to 2015, the OSB was provided by Blue Linx. I don't have high hopes of finding out what the original product was, but I'll update this if they ever get back to me with more info.

Either way, the weather barrier is part of the OSB manufacturing process- so no hope of buying the fabric and applying it myself. I'm thinking I'll probably come up with some crazy weatherproofing treatment with whatever products are available. If anyone is interested, I'll let y'all know what I end up doing.

Thanks for the replies!
                If the floor is being replaced, is there a reason the newer product (Parkland Plastics) can't be installed in place of the older material?
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Lonestar, I've been full-timing since 2017 and the last 4 years were in Maine. It's pretty well in a permanent position here. Winters are the worst due to condensation. We run a full size dehumidifier constantly all winter and still get condensation in corners, cabinets, and windows. I'm probably going to install a permanent dehumidifier under the bed after I'm done with the floor. I agree though, if you're a summer weekender the decision isn't nearly as crucial; minimal moisture.

Howson, Nope! It'd work fine. I'm just too cheap to ship it from Indiana to Maine!

Comment

If you are a full timer, the under treatment is not as critical as a weekender who is running the slide in and out.

Agree moisture is wood's enemy.

You may be better off with just marine grade ply vs a coated as the coatings in your case are probably going to help that moisture stay in there. If you are near an industrial area check into FRP plywood (used by cooling tower builders). It may not be cheap, but the stuff will last almost forever.

To help combat moisture, try ensuring that there is another vent open when using the vent hood (hoping it's venting out and not a recirculating type) so the moisture from cooking can be expelled out of the unit vs building up. I remember cooking in one of my previous units while hunting and the moisture from cooking would cause everything in the unit to get covered in condensation. We forget about it, but combustion of propane has a second byproduct that we need to consider in closed spaces, water. Water is a byproduct of combustion. We forget about this component of the process because in most cases it the space is not as confined.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

If you are a full timer, the under treatment is not as critical as a weekender who is running the slide in and out.
                      We'll have to agree to disagree. IMO, year round exposure to elements > moving across a roller bar several times a year. If that's your concern, skids are the answer there not treatment or coatings.

For anyone who comes across this in the future and is curious about OSB vs ply; my conclusion was neither. I got a panel of Coosa Bluewater 26 and painted it with marine enamel for UV protection. I paid $340 for a 4x8 panel. Quite spendy, but I'll never have to worry about water damage. I don't know why RV companies don't offer this stuff as a premium option. I would've happily payed an extra $15k to know my floors will never rot out.

Comment

Working...
                      X