2022 Imagine 2600RB slide uplift on retract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 Imagine 2600RB slide uplift on retract

Purchased in Nov.2021, we have had the Imagine out camping 5 times. Last week, we noticed the LH side paneling of the Dinette wall was lifting up after retracting the Slide in. We retract it in until it just makes the clutch release sound. The Paneling lifts up and exposes the 1x2 wood frame footer that is attached to the floor. The nails that connected the frame are no longer attached and that lets the whole Dinnette separator wall between the Dinette and the Recliner chairs. When you extend the slide out, the separator wall drops back down 1 to 1.5" to the carpeted floor. The backside of the Dinette wall frame is attached to the outer wall of the slide out. It seems that when retracting, as the slide stops reaching its limits the bottom of the slide out lifts up being pulled in tighter than the top. This may be what pulled the wood frame apart.

Below is a photo of the area I am talking about that lifts up off the carpeted floor exposing the Wood frame of the wall. In these photos the Slide is OUT (Extended). I need to get a photo of when the slide is Retracted (IN).

In order to fix this, I will have to remove the Recliner Chairs to get at the Wall paneling, Remove the paneling and re-attach the Wooden Frame with an L bracket. But, this won't alleviate the obvious stress here on this wall. What do you think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	rv1.jpg
Views:	862
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	96178 Click image for larger version

Name:	rv1.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	96179
    2022 Imagine 2600RB
    F150 Lariat 5.0L, 3.55, HD Tow Package
    Dallas, Texas area

Some tilting of the slide is normal in order for the transition from the box floor to the slide floor to be minimal, flexing of the slide floor in the longitudinal direction not so much. Theorizing that the footplate for the pony wall is keeping the wall from flexing with the floor of the slide. Also thinking that there may need to be a roller or some type of support at the pony wall under the slide floor to support the floor when extending and retracting. Might need to retract the slide part way in order to see what is under the floor. Let us know what you find.
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

John, thanks for your reply. The footplate for the Pony wall is still attached strongly to the floor. The vertical pony wall support in the circled area on the photo lifts upward when the slide is fully retracted and you can see the nails pulled loose at the joint. The paneling nails popped loose also alowing me to gently open it and see into the wall. Otherwise than this, the slide opens and closes fine. When extended the carpeting is level across the floor area.

I am so glad that you told me that the box lifting up is normal. It seems that I may be able to remove the Recliners, pull the paneling off the wall and re-attach the Vertical support to the Footplate with a sturdy metal L bracket. I was concerned that perhaps this lifting due to stress was a symptom of another problem, but it just may be that the nails didn't hold well.

I made an appointment at the Dealer but man, what a headache that process will be. You have to make an appointment, then drop the trailer off there in your appointment slot. Then within 2-3 weeks, they will diagnose the problem. Then if they have to order parts, they may ask you to come get your trailer to take it home while the parts are on order, 6 week lag time. Then, when the parts come in, they will try to get you in to repair it.
      2022 Imagine 2600RB
      Dallas, Texas area

Comment

Bob Davis2 If the slide drops when it reaches full extension, a roller will not correct the issue as it will be in the way.

Adding an L-bracket is an OK solution, but you are relying 100% on the thread grip to hold the floor to the wall. Something will eventually give.

If possible, you may need to add screws from the vertical front support to the horizontal floor support. This would make the assumption that the front board extends to the floor.

A second alternative would be to use an adhesive (glue) between the paneling and the wall framing along with more slightly larger nails to help hold the floor up. Be advised that you may end up with the pony wall pulling free from the outside wall.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2, good idea concerning the glue on the paneling and framing.
          2022 Imagine 2600RB
          Dallas, Texas area

Comment

I was able to take some more photos today. In looking at the FLOOR of the SLIDE OUT, it appears to be BOWED down in the middle where the Pony wall is located. At the far ends of the "box", the floor lifts UPward and there is a GAP between the BOX floor and the Trailer Flooring. But where the Pony wall has lifted off of the floor footer, the Floor has practically no gap between the box floor and the trailer floor. I can force the Pony wall down to the floor where it should be attached to the Footer, but it is stressed. As soon as I let go of it, the Pony wall springs back up. If I EXTEND the slide out, the stress relieves and the Pony wall drops back flush with the floor and footer.

What is the "Box" floor made of? It appears to be possible fiberglass or some kind of dense pressed board composite.

It is definitely bowed down in the middle and up at the ends. I have an appointment to take it to the Dealer on Oct. 24th. Is there some support roller or something under the box?

Here are some photos with the Slide Retracted all the way in. The seal on the outside seems Even at the top and bottom of the slide out.
            ​

Click image for larger version  Name:	pic3lhend.jpg Views:	0 Size:	187.4 KB ID:	96717

Click image for larger version  Name:	pic1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.0 KB ID:	96712 Click image for larger version  Name:	pic9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	178.7 KB ID:	96713 Click image for larger version  Name:	no gap.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.8 KB ID:	96714 Click image for larger version  Name:	pic3lhend.jpg Views:	0 Size:	187.4 KB ID:	96715 Click image for larger version  Name:	Pic6RHend.jpg Views:	0 Size:	144.8 KB ID:	96716

2022 Imagine 2600RB
            Dallas, Texas area

Comment

The outside seals seem equal and intact:

Name:	sideUSE.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	96720

Name:	side1.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	96721
              2022 Imagine 2600RB
              Dallas, Texas area

Comment

You might be able to get some trim screws into the block on the floor that will hold the floor UP. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...6032/205142850 I think I have seen them in a couple of different colors. Try to space them down the wall to the block from front to back to help ease the load on the inner most screws.
                Joseph
                Tow
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Bob Davis2

I have the same situation on my slide floor as you, as it is bowed in the center touching the trailer floor, and about 1/2" off the trailer floor on the ends. Fortunately the center has not presented any drag on the vinyl flooring to damage it. I don't have a built in dinette so a pony wall is not an issue in my case.

I'm saying this because I've come to believe this may be the case on many trailers. The slide floor appears to be OSB and I'm not sure there is a way to prevent this warping on the wider slides.
                  2020 Reflection 273MK
                  2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
                    Bob Davis2

I have the same situation on my slide floor as you, as it is bowed in the center touching the trailer floor, and about 1/2" off the trailer floor on the ends. Fortunately the center has not presented any drag on the vinyl flooring to damage it. I don't have a built in dinette so a pony wall is not an issue in my case.

I'm saying this because I've come to believe this may be the case on many trailers. The slide floor appears to be OSB and I'm not sure there is a way to prevent this warping on the wider slides.

Thank you very much Lonestar! This is good info to know there are others similar. Since this Imagine is less than 1 year old, I have decided to let the Dealer address this on the 24th of this month when I have an "appointment" to drop it off there for assessment. I don't know what a fix would be. I thought about a heavy duty Steel "L" bracket to re-attach the vertical of the pony wall to the floor, but it will just transfer the stress to the back pony wall support at the outer wall of the slide.
                    2022 Imagine 2600RB
                    Dallas, Texas area

Comment

I extended the Slide out fully out. As the slide out is moving outward, extending, the Pony wall drops back down flush with the flooring. So it is only when the Slide out is fully retracted that the Pony wall lifts up off the floor. There does not appear to be any scratching on the flooring in the pony wall area, but scratches / abrasion can be seen on the underside of the slide floor when you extend it fully out.

I tried not retracting the slide so far in that the box lifts and then the motor reaches its stops, to see if maybe it was just a matter of pulling in too far.

BUT, if I do this, there is a large gap at the bottom seal area outside. So in order to make a good seal pulling the bottom of the slide in, is neccessary.

Here are some photos with the slide out fully extended, both inside the trailer and outside at the underside of the slide floor:

Name:	use1.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	96799

Name:	use2.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	96800

Name:	use3.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	96801

Name:	use5.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	96802

Name:	use6.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	96803
                      2022 Imagine 2600RB
                      Dallas, Texas area

Comment

I am not saying to add screws to the bottom of the slide floor to attach the pony wall but I am wondering what or how the pony wall is attached to the slide floor. In the picture I do not see any screws from underneath that would attach the wall to the floor, just curious.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                          I am not saying to add screws to the bottom of the slide floor to attach the pony wall but I am wondering what or how the pony wall is attached to the slide floor. In the picture I do not see any screws from underneath that would attach the wall to the floor, just curious.

Brian
                          Good question. I know that the 1x2 "footer" is attached to the floor somehow, it is still somehow hard fastened down. I suspect screws down through the footer into the floor material perhaps. There are nails pulled loose from the footer at the end where the vertical support 1x2 for the Pony wall has pulled up. So it appears that the frame was built and then secured to the outer wall and the floor.

The seal when looking at the underneath is not straight either. There seems to be some bends in it and a screw missing in one spot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ererererere.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.2 KB ID:	96841

Click image for larger version  Name:	fdfdgggggg.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.8 KB ID:	96842
                          2022 Imagine 2600RB
                          Dallas, Texas area

Comment

From what I understand the floor of the slide is made with the material already attached and shipped to GD (there is a thread on wardrobe slide repair where this is discussed). Based on my little bit of knowledge and what I see in the pictures. The cleat on the floor is most likely screwed in from the top and possibly the bottom inside the seal area. The half wall is then adhered by crown screws through the 1/8" plywood as seen in the pictures in post 6. The crown staples are some incredible small gauge like 22 thus their shear and bending are almost nothing. These staples are normally used to hold crown moulding and trim in place under its own weight only and for painted pieces until caulking and paint are applied fixing the materials in place.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Hmm . . . I'm thinking that the pony wall lifting is not the problem, but a symptom of the floor dropping. Both Bob Davis2 and Lonestar note that the leading edge of the slide's floor is bowed with the slide in, when this edge is not supported. And Bob also notes some scratches and abrasion on the underside of the slide (Post #11). So, the first we need to know if the bowing of the slide normal or indicative of a structural issue with the slide. Hopefully Bob will be able to answer this shortly after October 24.

If the bowing is normal, then I agree with Bob that securely anchoring the pony wall to the floor may not be the best answer as it would just transfer the load elsewhere. Maybe drill a slightly oversized hole in the floor plate near the leading end for a long wood screw into the floor? This would stabilize the wall base laterally while still allowing for vertical movement.
                              John
                              2018 Momentum 395M
                              2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                              Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Working...
                              X