Upgrade to GD 2600RB Suspension and Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade to GD 2600RB Suspension and Truck

I am soliciting confirmation and/or ideas on my intention of beefing up my trailer and GMC Sierra 1500 suspension. I am experiencing some porpoising, chucking, and leaning on turns/curves. I did want to upgrade to Sierra 2500 but the price jumped on the lease by 300 per month Canadian and with the chip shortage I had to choose between the pro trailer package or heated seats and steering wheel. Have that on my current truck. I will buy out the lease, make a few mods and wait out one or two years until situation stabilizes. This is the background in a nutshell.

I changed the Westlake tires and replaced with Goodyear endurance. Noticed a rougher ride but I expected this. Here are my planned upgrades.

Truck: Change out the Michelin tires and put on real LT's tires. Change rear shocks to Bilstein (have struts in front) and add air bags that will be inflated to 20-30psi when towing and only 5psi when not.

2600RB: Have upgraded the tires (balanced) including spare to Goodyear Endurance. This spring, am planning on either the CRE35 or Lippert Road Armor with upgraded shackle kit. Am leaning to the MoRyde. Would consider adding the x-factor brace across the equalizers. Would also add the roadmaster 2600 shock absorber kit. Did consider sumo's but I live up in Canada and they tend to breakdown in cold weather.

Also would not want to lift the trailer too high. It is already high enough. Also note, due to the high tongue weight near 1000 lbs, I upgraded the hitch to the stiffer 1200/12000 as per discussion with Equalizer Technician. I did get a comment that the bars might be too stiff (no spring) so this might have increased the porpoising. Not too sure about that! My tongue weight is about 13.8% last checked on scales.

Thanks​
    Pierre & Tara
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Changing the truck tires to LT's will help with the swaying , D Range will be good for that. I do not think the other changes will help much with porpoising. This condition is usually associated with too much tongue weight or too little, you may want to play with that a little more to find a sweet spot. The 1200# bars are close to the limit I think but should work. When you hook up to tow take a measurement of the front fender from the ground to the top of the wheel opening, compare this to hooked up and ready to tow there should not be much difference between the 2.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The LT tires and shocks will make a big difference and making some trial adjustments on your hitch should get you to an acceptable ride. My 2018 double cab 4wd Silverado had a very compliant rear ride quality that was nice when driving around town but not a plus when towing. It took me some trial and error and rear tire pressure changes to optimize it.
      2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I added the CRE3000 and RoadMAster Comfort ride shocks to my trailer. I have a tongue weight of about 1350#. Tow vehicle is an F250.

Even before the CRE3000 and shock upgrade I did not experience sway. The upgrades seemed to have helped with porpoising. The only time I experience it is when I hit expansion joints on a bridge that are spaced just right. The shocks also help keep the trailer more vertical when going around turns.
        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

I, too, had porpoising with my 1500 Silverado. I played with tongue weight and (sway bar) chain length with little effect. I changed to LT tires, put Bilsteins front and back and added the Roadmaster Active Suspension to the rear leafs. Night and day difference... little to no porpoising and a much refined ride in the truck when unloaded. Just my experience...

Mike
          Mike & Sonya
          2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
          Blue Ox SwayPro
          2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

I did look at the Roadmaster Active Suspension and thought it would be a great option too. The only drawback that I saw was that it permanently stiffens the rear end just like the installation of Timbren's for example. I was looking for an option that I could ride around town almost as stock but capable of stiffening rear when needed for towing. The only option that I found that could do both was the air bags.

If the prices on the 2500 had not gone so wacky in the past couple of months this discussion would not have occurred. However, I will keep the 1500 for now, beef it up a bit until prices improve, delivery and pricing is honored, and options are not cancelled due to chip shortages. Note that the GMC 2500 is manufactured in Ontario at the old Oshawa plant compared to the 1500 that is made down south. Delivery charges are less but pricing is more and so are the sales taxes @ 15+ percent.

Pierre & Tara
            2021 Imagine 2600RB
            2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post
              I added the CRE3000 and RoadMAster Comfort ride shocks to my trailer. I have a tongue weight of about 1350#. Tow vehicle is an F250.

Even before the CRE3000 and shock upgrade I did not experience sway. The upgrades seemed to have helped with porpoising. The only time I experience it is when I hit expansion joints on a bridge that are spaced just right. The shocks also help keep the trailer more vertical when going around turns.
              Did you also add the x-factor braces? I wonder if they will interfere with the shock kit.
              Pierre & Tara
              2021 Imagine 2600RB
              2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500

Comment

Originally posted by Petrovsky View Post
                The only drawback that I saw was that it permanently stiffens the rear end just like the installation of Timbren's for example. I was looking for an option that I could ride around town almost as stock but capable of stiffening rear when needed
                I found ride quality was more compromized with move to LT tires than with the RAS. My only knock on the RAS was that hitch height went up 2" and I had to re-do my hitch set-up... really, no biggy. Again, just my experience.

Mike
                Mike & Sonya
                2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
                Blue Ox SwayPro
                2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Did you also add the x-factor braces? I wonder if they will interfere with the shock kit.
                  No, I did not add the X-Factor braces. I have a grey tank drain line I would have to move for 2 of the 3 braces to be installed - and I didn't have the extra $$ at the time.

This is the driver side. Note the drain pipe that would have to be moved. I did have to rotate the fresh tank dump valve 90 degrees and cut about 3" or 4" off the overflow pipe to fit the shock on the right side.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Driver.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.3 KB ID:	100169

here is passenger side. You can see the shocks are not in the way if you want the X-braces

Click image for larger version  Name:	Passenger.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.7 KB ID:	100170

Also, I have airbags on my truck. As far as towing performance there wasn't much of a change. It did help level the truck a little more (raised the rear end about 2" with trailer). I did have to re-do the WD hitch based n new ride height of the truck. Overall I like the airbags....in my mind they help increase lifespan of the rear suspension....but really weren't necessary for me.
                  Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

I am soliciting confirmation and/or ideas on my intention of beefing up my trailer and GMC Sierra 1500 suspension. I am experiencing some porpoising, chucking, and leaning on turns/curves. I did want to upgrade to Sierra 2500 but the price jumped on the lease by 300 per month Canadian and with the chip shortage I had to choose between the pro trailer package or heated seats and steering wheel. Have that on my current truck. I will buy out the lease, make a few mods and wait out one or two years until situation stabilizes. This is the background in a nutshell.

I changed the Westlake tires and replaced with Goodyear endurance. Noticed a rougher ride but I expected this. Here are my planned upgrades.

Truck: Change out the Michelin tires and put on real LT's tires. Change rear shocks to Bilstein (have struts in front) and add air bags that will be inflated to 20-30psi when towing and only 5psi when not.

2600RB: Have upgraded the tires (balanced) including spare to Goodyear Endurance. This spring, am planning on either the CRE35 or Lippert Road Armor with upgraded shackle kit. Am leaning to the MoRyde. Would consider adding the x-factor brace across the equalizers. Would also add the roadmaster 2600 shock absorber kit. Did consider sumo's but I live up in Canada and they tend to breakdown in cold weather.

Also would not want to lift the trailer too high. It is already high enough. Also note, due to the high tongue weight near 1000 lbs, I upgraded the hitch to the stiffer 1200/12000 as per discussion with Equalizer Technician. I did get a comment that the bars might be too stiff (no spring) so this might have increased the porpoising. Not too sure about that! My tongue weight is about 13.8% last checked on scales.

Thanks​
                    I've done most everything you have on your rig and truck where if I had to do this over, I would have tried to find a set of D rated LT tires rather than my E rated LTX defenders. The Michelins are excellent but did cost me a bit on ride quality. To get the optimum contact patch I air up the LT tires to 45 psi front and 50 psi rear when towing. 40 psi unladen.

40-45psi in the bags and Equalizer hitch adjusted with the bags aired up. where the rig sits level and the truck sits in its unloaded stance. This will cure your proposing issue and can withstand the most demanding Michigan roads. Trailer tires are also GY Endurance but they are aired up to 60-65psi.

My 1500 GMC tows with barely noticeable truck suck as well. You do not need more truck.

Jim

Comment

acoleman43 I have a grey tank drain line in the same location as your rig and the X Factor bracket fit. It has a slight drop that put it under the drain line. I could get a pic for you if you like.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                        acoleman43 I have a grey tank drain line in the same location as your rig and the X Factor bracket fit. It has a slight drop that put it under the drain line. I could get a pic for you if you like.

Jim
                        I would like to see how it fit.

I just have to get the $$ now
                        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by NoPeeking View Post

I found ride quality was more compromized with move to LT tires than with the RAS. My only knock on the RAS was that hitch height went up 2" and I had to re-do my hitch set-up... really, no biggy. Again, just my experience.

Mike
                          Not sure I mentioned this but prior to any mods, I changed out the Westlakes to Endurance tires and the only ride made since was for winter storage. Upon opening entering trailer for last check I did notice that things bounced around a lot more. I attribute this to the stiffer tire transmitting more shock to trailer than softer Westlakes with both inflated to 80psi. Midwest Camper rides his tires at 65 psi reducing the stiffness I am sure. With the responses received thus far it looks like I'm on the right track. I do wonder though about riding with less pressure in the tires. Will have to consult the tables but I have always inflated, dealer included, to max pressure rating of 80 psi.
                          Pierre & Tara
                          2021 Imagine 2600RB
                          2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Jim
                            There are two x-factor braces....the standard that is used with no encumbrances and the other that appears to drop down a few inches. Did you use this one?
                            Pierre & Tara
                            2021 Imagine 2600RB
                            2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

No, I did not add the X-Factor braces. I have a grey tank drain line I would have to move for 2 of the 3 braces to be installed - and I didn't have the extra $$ at the time.

This is the driver side. Note the drain pipe that would have to be moved. I did have to rotate the fresh tank dump valve 90 degrees and cut about 3" or 4" off the overflow pipe to fit the shock on the right side.

Click image for larger version Name:	Driver.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.3 KB ID:	100169

here is passenger side. You can see the shocks are not in the way if you want the X-braces

Click image for larger version Name:	Passenger.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.7 KB ID:	100170

Also, I have airbags on my truck. As far as towing performance there wasn't much of a change. It did help level the truck a little more (raised the rear end about 2" with trailer). I did have to re-do the WD hitch based n new ride height of the truck. Overall I like the airbags....in my mind they help increase lifespan of the rear suspension....but really weren't necessary for me.
                              I guess the positioning on the Momentum and the Imagine will likely be the same. From your pictures I see that the x-factor will hook up with no interference. Thanks for the visual confirmation.
                              Pierre & Tara
                              2021 Imagine 2600RB
                              2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500

Comment

Working...
                              X