Upgrade to GD 2600RB Suspension and Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Petrovsky View Post

There are two x-factor braces....the standard that is used with no encumbrances and the other that appears to drop down a few inches. Did you use this one?
    Petrovsky acoleman43 Here is a pic from under my Imagine 2600RB showing the X Factor bracket. Looks like I will need to start working on rust treatment in the spring.

Click image for larger version  Name:	X Factor on 2600RB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.7 KB ID:	100228

Jim
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 11-25-2022, 11:08 AM.

Comment

By the way, I took video under my rig several years ago in sorting out the causes of the rear hanger failures. While all the hangers had some lateral motion, the center hanger by far had the most. As a result, the X Factor bracket was installed on the center hangers of our Imagine 2600RB.

I like the shock (damping option) where I'm certain this would help to prevent flattening springs and provide a better ride for the rig. Jounce bumpers added to the shocks would be ideal with a slipper spring system IMO.
      In the video I also captured the rig being undamped with multiple oscillations on single road input. So these systems are not critically damped which means they could benefit with the use of shock absorbers. The sub-frame in my Imagine is only 0.24" thick where the self drilling screws are just not strong enough.

Jim

Comment

Speaking of springs, how rough do you think this ride is?

Click image for larger version

Name:	spring.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	100272
        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

In the trucking world, I think that would qualify for "HOCKEY PUCK" suspension. Basically it's completely compressed with the equivalent of a hockey puck for the cushioning.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

I put the Roadmasters on my Titan and ride was not stiffened and porpoising was nearly eliminated.

Comment

Has anyone done this sequentially? I need to start somewhere with my 2600RB before I make the trip to Wisconsin and back again this summer. I felt bad for my poor trailer getting slammed on some of those bad interstates (New Mexico was brutal).

Thinking I'll start with either Morryde or Road Armor and wet bolts and try that. I'm hoping the rubber jounce bumpers in the equalizer eliminate a bunch of the shock from hitting those curb-like bridge approaches on I-40.

Suppose I could try airing down the trailer tires a little too but I tend to run them at 80 PSI cold per the sticker and the sidewalls. I tow on HOT asphalt a lot and prefer to keep things as cool as possible by eliminating sidewall flex.

I know slipper springs with shocks are the Buick Dynaride option, but it's also $$$.
              2022 Imagine 2600RB
              2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

Did consider sumo's but I live up in Canada and they tend to breakdown in cold weather.

Thanks​
                I have never heard of this breaking down issue. Do you happen to have any links as to what is happening and are they the blue or heavier black ones? I have the heavier blacks ones and really like them. https://www.superspringsinternationa...op/tss-107-47/

They made a huge difference in towing, removing bounce and reducing lean - especially on our rough roads. It also get plenty cold here in CO. Also Alaska roads proven too.

Just wondering
                Keith

Edit; I did a search this afternoon and found nothing anywhere, so if folks know anything, please post. I am thinking of sending an email to them asking if they know of this issue.
                Last edited by Yoda; 02-09-2023, 12:12 AM.
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

I have never heard of this breaking down issue.
                  Mine haven't...but I don't tow in the winter...so...they're fine.
                  2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

I have never heard of this breaking down issue. Do you happen to have any links as to what is happening and are they the blue or heavier black ones? I have the heavier blacks ones and really like them. https://www.superspringsinternationa...op/tss-107-47/

They made a huge difference in towing, removing bounce and reducing lean - especially on our rough roads. It also get plenty cold here in CO. Also Alaska roads proven too.

Just wondering
                    Keith

Edit; I did a search this afternoon and found nothing anywhere, so if folks know anything, please post. I am thinking of sending an email to them asking if they know of this issue.
                    Sorry it took so long. I had originally read the info on Timbren's site. Guess the info below would be more reliable. Note that there are comments on Tirmbren's being hard like rock in cold temperatures.

For the truck I still like the air bag idea as I can adjust the stiffness or have it near stock with only 5 psi.

Will SumoSprings Work in Freezing Temperatures | etrailer.com
                    Pierre & Tara
                    2021 Imagine 2600RB
                    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
                    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Comment

Sounds to me like you need more truck.😐

Comment

A thanks to all those who have posted. To summarize what I have done. On the truck I have added air bags and will purchase Bilstein shocks this spring. I am sticking with the stock Michelin LTX tires for now until they have worn enough to warrant a change. On the trailer I have changed the tires to Goodyear Endurance and have changed out the suspension to the CRE 3000 from Morryde. So far I can say that the rear end is somewhat stiffer but I have lessened the porpoising, chucking, and leaning on corners. Overall the ride is much better and I feel that there is less sway as well so I attribute this to the tires. The Westlake's being to soft versus the Goodyear's.

I agree that a move to a 2500 would likely solve all the issues but since 2022 the prices in Canada have gone above and beyond what I am willing to pay.
                        Pierre & Tara
                        2021 Imagine 2600RB
                        2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
                        1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Comment

Seems to me that people are going to great expense to try and eliminate things that are just a part of towing a travel trailer. Peeps 50-60 years ago had no problem. Just embrace the ride.
                          If you want a smoother ride, buy a motor home. Fyi, they aren’t that smooth either.
                          Rich

Comment

A thanks to all those who have posted. To summarize what I have done. On the truck I have added air bags and will purchase Bilstein shocks this spring. I am sticking with the stock Michelin LTX tires for now until they have worn enough to warrant a change. On the trailer I have changed the tires to Goodyear Endurance and have changed out the suspension to the CRE 3000 from Morryde. So far I can say that the rear end is somewhat stiffer but I have lessened the porpoising, chucking, and leaning on corners. Overall the ride is much better and I feel that there is less sway as well so I attribute this to the tires. The Westlake's being to soft versus the Goodyear's.

I agree that a move to a 2500 would likely solve all the issues but since 2022 the prices in Canada have gone above and beyond what I am willing to pay.
                            I've added air bags to my GMC 3500, changed the shocks from Rancho to Bilstein, added a rear sway bar, added an air pin box to the fiver and the roadmaster shock system to it and all these upgrades have made a world of difference for my towing and I have plenty of truck for my Reflection 303RLS. You might consider adding the shock system to the camper. I've done that for a few others as well and the owners all love it. I like the shocks way more than the Sumo Springs.
                            40-year Camping Enthusiast
                            2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
                            2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Working...
                            X