Suspension and Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension and Tires

I have a 2021 MKE17 with about 22,000 miles on it. Noticed unusual tire wear on the back axle. Both tires are worn down approximately 25% on the inside and 5-10% on the inside on the front axle.
    Took it to the dealer and their tech said the leaf springs are flat and axles were not installed properly.
    Need to replace both axles, springs and tires. The Tech suggests "wet" grease fittings for the supports and Goodyear tires.
    Has anyone else had similar issues with suspension on this model?​

It could be something as simple as the nylon bushings being worn out in the spring hangers.
    There have been past problems with springs de-arching and your wear suggests an issue with the tracking of the tires.
    I trust an RV dealers tech about as much as I trust a public drinking fountain in Tijuana during the pandemic.
    I would look for a competent trailer/truck/frame shop and see what they think.
    The comment about the axles being installed incorrectly makes me question the tech.
    The only good advice they gave you was to install a wetbolt kit.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Hi RonM,

Welcome to our owners technical forum. We have many discussion threads on the topics you are asking about, in the https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ion-amp-brakes section that you have found.

Off the top . . . the tire wear that you describe is usually caused by a bent axle. The springs may be "flat" but this does not usually manifest itself as uneven tire wear. The only way to answer the spring question is to measure "loaded arch height". There are discussions of how to do this on this forum. "Wet bolts" are a common upgrade and a good thing to do, but should go with bronze spring eye bushings rather than plastic. The comment that the axles were "not installed properly" needs more clarification. If you post pictures here, we may be able to offer some thoughts on that statement.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I think I’d consider having a trailer shop look at it. It kind of sounds to me like the dealer might be making it out to be more than it is. Flat springs are certainly a problem, but the idea the axles weren’t installed correctly sounds sketchy to me.
        John & Kathy
        2014 Reflection 303RLS
        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
          I trust an RV dealers tech about as much as I trust a public drinking fountain in Tijuana during the pandemic.
          LMFAO!

Ansd I agree...most dealership techs...are not techs as I use the word. It seems if you can make it into work on time they will give you the title 'tech'.

I'd start by weighing your trailer loaded for a trip.
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by RonM View Post
            I have a 2021 MKE17 with about 22,000 miles on it. Noticed unusual tire wear on the back axle. Both tires are worn down approximately 25% on the inside and 5-10% on the inside on the front axle.
            Took it to the dealer and their tech said the leaf springs are flat and axles were not installed properly.
            Need to replace both axles, springs and tires. The Tech suggests "wet" grease fittings for the supports and Goodyear tires.
            You need to call GD and get a claim started - they will probably have you contact Lippert. As Jkwilson said find a trailer shop that sells and services heavy equipment trailers like PJ, Big Tex, etc.
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

And here I was trying to be “politically correct” with the observation that “the axles were not installed properly" needs more clarification. Go with the more clearly stated advice from the other “suspension savvy” contributors. LOL!

Rob
              Last edited by Cate&Rob; 12-12-2022, 06:13 PM.
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                And here I was trying to be “politically correct” with the observation that “the axles were not installed properly" needs more clarification. Go with the more clearly stated advice from the other “suspension savvy” contributors. LOL! Rob
                Rob - you were very politically correct and measuring the arch height is the only true answer on the springs. I would scale the trailer first to get axle/tire ladings (Cat Scale)

It could be the spring pack has slipped. Remember there was a whole bunch of under torqued spring pack U-Bolts and axle slippage a few years back.

Keith
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by RonM View Post
                  Agree others this looks like a bent axle but how were the axles installed incorrectly? With flat springs and bent axles, it appears the suspension was overloaded with some road hazards? My Imagine had flat springs when I purchased it so I blame that on the delivery driver where the roads from Elkhart to Wixom Michigan are...….like no roads at all where you have to slow down.
                  After new springs I have gone 4 years with no issues and they still have life in them. With 22k miles on your rig, it could have happened anywhere.

The repair plan looks reasonable with wet bolts, bushings, springs, axles and Goodyear Endurance tires.

Jim

Comment

I think the poor condition of the roads coming North from Elkhart into MI are a cautionary tale about the rest of the state. Sort of an ominous sign saying "caution, trouble ahead"

My initial comments regarding the tech were actually tempered. In real life I would have used much more spicy words. When we got home with our Imagine in 2018 we went over it with a finer eye. We found 2 of the tires had outward protruding bulges on the sidewall. After a mind numbingly ignorant conversation with the dealer tech and the service manager I shared my story with GD and they directed me to Lionshead who immediately replaced both tires. The dealer service manager had even told me he had worked at a tire store previously and knew what he was talking about.
                    I have an evenings worth of messed up stories about how badly the GD dealer in the lower part of MI has treated me.

Comment

I think the poor condition of the roads coming North from Elkhart into MI are a cautionary tale about the rest of the state. Sort of an ominous sign saying "caution, trouble ahead"

My initial comments regarding the tech were actually tempered. In real life I would have used much more spicy words. When we got home with our Imagine in 2018 we went over it with a finer eye. We found 2 of the tires had outward protruding bulges on the sidewall. After a mind numbingly ignorant conversation with the dealer tech and the service manager I shared my story with GD and they directed me to Lionshead who immediately replaced both tires. The dealer service manager had even told me he had worked at a tire store previously and knew what he was talking about.
                      I have an evenings worth of messed up stories about how badly the GD dealer in the lower part of MI has treated me.
                      General RV in Wixom MI was responsive and performed quality work for us while we lived in Michigan. For us, the larger dealer worked where it seems their techs were real techs. They also had a body shop. We loved Michigan but there is no tale in how bad the roads are there where if you don't slow down on some expressways, damage will 100% occur. One of many examples would be I-23 close to the Ohio border. It's only suitable for travel in the left lane, so I speed up to 70mph to be courteous while towing. Truckster will get this. "Fix the Darn Roads"!
                      Jim
                      Last edited by Guest; 12-13-2022, 06:10 PM.

Comment

The tech in the story was at Wixom, don't get me started about Birch run though. It is very hard staying loyal to GD and living in this part of MI where the dealer has an exclusive deal.

Comment

[QUOTE=familytruckster4;n101194]don't get me started about Birch run though.
                          I've been there! Stayed a few nights at a CG there while my wife tried to buy every decoration she could find in Frankenmuth.....
                          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

[QUOTE=Scott'n'Wendy;n101198]
                            don't get me started about Birch run though.
                            I've been there! Stayed a few nights at a CG there while my wife tried to buy every decoration she could find in Frankenmuth.....
                            My wife, her sister and daughters spend days in Frankenmuth Christmas shopping. They stay at a B&B so they can rest each evening from shopping. This festivity used to be called "Deer Widows Weekend" where deer hunting in Michigan is a big deal. For those interested in spending their money.
                            For me, I sit at home and manage the card that is on fire, LOL.

It could be General RV went above an beyond for me since I ended up with heart cancer after our first camping trip. For those that carry their cell phone in their shirt pocket, you may want to stop doing that.
                            Whatever the reason for good service, they should treat everyone the same. I'm sure you guys treated the service writers with respect where I've witnessed some at the dealer that did not. I suppose they did not receive the red carpet treatment.

Jim
                            Last edited by Guest; 12-14-2022, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X