I can't find the information I need about torquing my wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't find the information I need about torquing my wheels

I have looked everywhere I can think of but can't find torque information that I understand. I have a Solitude ST345GK-R-2022​. It has 17.5" wheels. What I don't know is: 1) are my lug nuts long or flanged? - I don't know what that means. 2) what size socket should I use to tighten them? 3) What is the proper torque? 4) If it is 325 ft lbs as it appears to say on the GD website, what kind of tool do I need to get that much torque? Mine only goes to 150 and I don't know that I am strong enough to produce even that much. Any help at all will be appreciated.

I believe its 130-150. I know GD's manuals have had issues with this before. No way its anywhere near 325. You'll be snapping a stud or cracking a wheel going anywhere near that number.
    Jim & Heidi
    2021 Solitude 375RES-r
    2024 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW

Comment

Originally posted by debgary12 View Post
      I have looked everywhere I can think of but can't find torque information that I understand. I have a Solitude ST345GK-R-2022​. It has 17.5" wheels. What I don't know is: 1) are my lug nuts long or flanged? - I don't know what that means. 2) what size socket should I use to tighten them? 3) What is the proper torque? 4) If it is 325 ft lbs as it appears to say on the GD website, what kind of tool do I need to get that much torque? Mine only goes to 150 and I don't know that I am strong enough to produce even that much. Any help at all will be appreciated.
      If you can remove one lug nut and check the base. If it is cone shaped then the specification is 190-210 with greased threads. I am attaching a Dexter chart that appear to be based on the wheel nuts used.

http://hltlimitedtrailers.com/wp-con...quirements.pdf

I would call GD customer service - have Vin handy or Dexter with you axle information. I am assuming you have Dexter axles. For the axle information look for a sticker on the axle tube.

As for the 350 ft lb torque wrench Amazon and other places have them, including harbor freight - just do a search

Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

If the unit is near new there should be a sticker on the pin box stating the lug nut torque specs. I agree that it is not 325 ft pounds.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The Dexter manual referenced above shows 5/8" wheel studs for the 17.5" wheels. However, the GDRV manual shows 9/16" studs and a different torque value. The March 2022 Grand Design Owners manual (Link below) shows the torque for the 8 lug 17.5" wheels is 130-150 ft-lb. I'd go with the GDRV values, and set the torque to 140 ft-lb if it were my rig. Even better is to check the pin box as others have said for confirmation.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Torque.jpg Views:	0 Size:	184.4 KB ID:	101145

Owner's Manual Link:
          file:///C:/Users/15203/Downloads/Solitude%20FW_2021_OM_Rev.06.2021%20(1).pdf

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

If it is cone shaped then the specification is 190-210 with greased threads.
            Keith
            That'd be crazy tight....unless maybe he has 3/4" studs

The below chart shows torque based on lug diameter. Dry threads. The model of trailer doesn't matter, it's the diameter of the lug and the material of the wheel. But go with Jim's post. Mine is generic..his is from GD.
            Attached Files
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

I had the same issue. I asked the tire shop and got 140 spec. I looked at the pin box, but the number was never written on it or faded off. I don't torque truck lugs to 350.
              "No place to go, No hurry to get there"
              2019 GD Momentum 376 TH
              2015 Dodge 3500 Cummins
              2015 HD Ultra Classic Limited

Comment

Everything seems to be based on lug size, but I don't know how to know that either! Also, I don't know what size of socket to use. What I know is that I don't have a socket that fits it snugly. Do I need a special kind of socket?

Comment

debgary12 I carry this set for my torque wrench as well as my impact gun to cover me on all the lug sizes. Comes with a nice case, so I keep them under the back seat of the truck.

NEIKO 02282B 1/2-Inch-Drive Impact Socket Set, Flip Socket Set, Chrome Moly Steel, Includes 3-Inch Bar Extension, 8 Deep SAE and Metric Sizes, 5 Pieces https://a.co/d/dHz7VC2

Edit: I removed what my size is since it's different.
                  Last edited by ncitro; 12-13-2022, 05:52 PM.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by debgary12 View Post
                    Everything seems to be based on lug size, but I don't know how to know that either! Also, I don't know what size of socket to use. What I know is that I don't have a socket that fits it snugly. Do I need a special kind of socket?
                    I just messaged one of the Grand Design mobile response techs. He said unless anything has changed, the lug nut size for a 17.5" wheel is 13/16".

Jim
                    Jim and Ginnie
                    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

debgary12 You'll need a deep thin wall to get into the recess of the wheel, and make sure it's a six point so it does not round out the nut.
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                        debgary12 You'll need a deep thin wall to get into the recess of the wheel, and make sure it's a six point so it does not round out the nut.
                        I find this annoying on a couple wheel sets I have. Some sockets won't fit in the recess. Like if they had just opened up the machining a couple mm!
                        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

For deep sockets, black impact, six point. Go find a Snap-On tool truck. SO makes some of the best thinner walled 1/2 inch drive impact sockets in the market. Reason you want black ones is they are a softer metal so when used on an impact, they won’t damage the nut. And they have a lifetime warranty.
                          Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
                          TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

If all else fails get a picture of the Dexter tag on the axle and ask them. I have had good luck with them responding to requests for info. They sent me a page with all of the service and replacement part numbers for my axles as well as the torque values.

And while you have the torque wrench out you may want to retorque your U-bolts
                            2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

I just messaged one of the Grand Design mobile response techs. He said unless anything has changed, the lug nut size for a 17.5" wheel is 13/16".

Jim
                              That matches a formula for nut hex size. 1.5 x Dia + 1/16. 1.5 x 1/2 = 12/16 add 1/16 and get 13/16.
                              Ted
                              2021 Reflection 310RLS
                              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                              X