Tow Star vs.Goodyear Endurance tires or other brands to consider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tow Star vs.Goodyear Endurance tires or other brands to consider

Spring is coming and my tires are now 7 years old. So, I'm thinking it is time for new tires. My trailer has ST 225/75R-15 tires.
    Checking pricing I can get Tow Star 225/75R15 117, Load Range E mounted, balanced with lifetime warranty at Les Schwab for $763.84 or Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15 117, N, Load Range E for $748.24 at Discount Tire. This pricing includes all the needed labor and full tire warranty's- replacement or repair, re-balance, rotation etc. Both are excellent tire shops but not sure which is the better tire brand. My sense is the Goodyear brand but I am certainly not current on ST tires.
    That said there is no doubt that there are many quality brands out there, but I don't like to buy less than the best when it comes to tires.
    Any other brand suggestions are much appreciated.
    Brad
    Last edited by howson; 12-26-2022, 07:36 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling of Endurance (so this thread is found by those searching on the topic)
    BradF
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2023 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.6L Gas with B&W 3710

The Goodyears seem to have a good following and are very popular with the OEM's.
    Something else to consider would be the widespread availability of the Goodyears while traveling, just in case you needed a replacement
    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Country of Manufacture
      Tow Star - China
      GY Endurance - USA

Speed Rating
      Tow Star - 81 MPH
      GY Endurance - 87 MPH

Weight Rating at 80 PSI
      Tow Star - 2,860 Pounds
      GY Endurance - 2,830 Pounds

Initial Tread Depth (When New)
      Tow Star - 10/32"
      GY Endurance - 8/32" (Note: This is by design on the GY tire. Company states it keeps heat down.)

As mentioned above, the GY tires are readily available in most states.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks Jim, that pretty much answers the question for me. I was leaning toward GY and the data is clear. I like GY so that is the way we will go.
        Best Regards,
        Brad
        BradF
        2016 Reflection 27RL

Comment

Tow Star just sounds like a cheap tire to me....

The first three lines in Jim's post are very important in your purchasing decision imo. Try to support North America first,....................dictatorships last...
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by BradF View Post
            Spring is coming and my tires are now 7 years old. So, I'm thinking it is time for new tires. My trailer has ST 225/75R-15 tires.
            Checking pricing I can get Tow Star 225/75R15 117, Load Range E mounted, balanced with lifetime warranty at Les Schwab for $763.84 or Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15 117, N, Load Range E for $748.24 at Discount Tire. This pricing includes all the needed labor and full tire warranty's- replacement or repair, re-balance, rotation etc. Both are excellent tire shops but not sure which is the better tire brand. My sense is the Goodyear brand but I am certainly not current on ST tires.
            That said there is no doubt that there are many quality brands out there, but I don't like to buy less than the best when it comes to tires.
            Any other brand suggestions are much appreciated.
            Brad
            7 years? Wow, you must be leading a very lucky life! Buy more lottery tickets. 🙂
            Mike and (RIP Karen)
            2021 2600RB
            2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Originally posted by AZMike View Post

7 years? Wow, you must be leading a very lucky life! Buy more lottery tickets. 🙂
              I have a friend who ran thirteen years on a set of Marathons on his Jayco trailer. Not even a flat.
              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
              Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Agreed that 7 years on a set of trailer tires is very lucky! I would not disagree with anything in this thread except Goodyear availability. When I went to change out trailer tires last year, I couldn’t find a set of Goodyears anywhere. The story was that all their production was going to the trailer manufacturers. This may have eased more recently. I went with another set of Maxxis tires. I have always had good luck with Maxxis.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  Agreed that 7 years on a set of trailer tires is very lucky! I would not disagree with anything in this thread except Goodyear availability. When I went to change out trailer tires last year, I couldn’t find a set of Goodyears anywhere. The story was that all their production was going to the trailer manufacturers. This may have eased more recently. I went with another set of Maxxis tires. I have always had good luck with Maxxis.

Rob
                  I'm guessing that was a temporary issue similar to other supply chain problems. I just checked several stores around us and they either have them in stock or can have them by tomorrow.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Our local Discount Tire has Goodyear Endurance in our size in store inventory. My guess is the supply chain gremlins have been resolved (hopefully).
                    Regarding the age, I had a commercial tire center manager tell me that (at least for my previous motor home tires) that I could expect 13 years (but those were Toyo 14 ply / 22.5" ). Either way, I always cover my tires with tire covers and spray 303 Protectant on them for UV protection. Worked so far with no cracking or drying issues that I can see.
                    BradF
                    2016 Reflection 27RL

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

I have a friend who ran thirteen years on a set of Marathons on his Jayco trailer. Not even a flat.
                      I've also abused the Marathon tires by keeping them far too long on a boat trailer. The last tow back from my dads barn showed signs of tread separation. They were 10 years old. The boat trailer had steel fenders where I would not chance it with the construction of the Imagine.

GY Endurance is on our Imagine today.

Jim

Comment

Tires kept out of the UV will last a lot longer than those exposed. Also helps to keep the tires off the damp ground where moisture can find it's way through the outer layer cracking leading to chord rot and eventual disintegration (aka tire bomb).
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

I've also abused the Marathon tires by keeping them far too long on a boat trailer. The last tow back from my dads barn showed signs of tread separation. They were 10 years old. The boat trailer had steel fenders where I would not chance it with the construction of the Imagine.

GY Endurance is on our Imagine today.

Jim
                          I had Marathon’s on boat trailer that were 12 or 13 years old and one blew out. The damage to the steel fender was amazing. We docked boat at lake so very low mileage on tires. Good friends end works at a local garage and said to
                          replace tv tires every 5 year regardless of mileage.
                          Jay & Patty Wallace
                          2023 Reflection 337 RLS
                          2022 Silverado 3500 HD High Country Duramax 6.6L Allison 10 SP

Comment

Originally posted by Jay HHI6818 View Post

I had Marathon’s on boat trailer that were 12 or 13 years old and one blew out. The damage to the steel fender was amazing. We docked boat at lake so very low mileage on tires. Good friends end works at a local garage and said to
                            replace tv tires every 5 year regardless of mileage.
                            Your absolutely correct. In my case I did not care if I had a blow out where I was towing twice a year and at short distances...to and from storage. Can't justify it other than my desire to see how long they lasted.
                            For our Imagine with wood composite floor, I take no chances and have not only moved up from D rated Westlake tires (after two seasons) to E rated Endurance, I will replace them at around 5 years and depending on condition, cracking, tread depth, etc.

Jim

Comment

We use Hercules on our rig and have been very happy with them.
                              Bill & Cindy
                              2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
                              2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                              SE Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X