No announcement yet.

Tow Star vs.Goodyear Endurance tires or other brands to consider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought this article was interesting. Neither brand the OP mentioned makes the top 10.
    https://www.rvweb.net/best-trailer-tires-reviewed/

When I was replacing my OEM tires on my last trailer after 5 years (I follow the 5 year rule regardless of miles or wear), I wanted GY Endurance. My local shop could not get them at the time. He told me Carlisle was a good brand, so I went with those. I rode on those without issue for over a year before I traded the trailer for my new GD.

Good Luck with your search and decision.
    Ron
    Ron
    2023 Reflection 297RSTS (Mid-Year Change)
    2022 RAM MegaCab 2500 Laramie, 6.4L Hemi

Comment

ron045

Interesting list of tires. I have heard of their 1 and run their 9. I have never even heard of 2 thru 8 !

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have the GY Endurance and will stick with them. They survived the roads to Alaska. My only other consideration may be Michelin LT's but that will start a whole other discussion best save for another day.

Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by ron045 View Post
          I thought this article was interesting. Neither brand the OP mentioned makes the top 10.

When I was replacing my OEM tires on my last trailer after 5 years (I follow the 5 year rule regardless of miles or wear), I wanted GY Endurance. My local shop could not get them at the time. He told me Carlisle was a good brand, so I went with those. I rode on those without issue for over a year before I traded the trailer for my new GD.

Ron
          Ron,

That website is focused on their earning commissions on sales. In the fine print:

"RV Web Network is reader-supported. When you purchase through our links, we may earn a commission."

So I'm assuming, if they can't earn a commission, they don't include them.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I like #6...lol .......Hykolity Radial Trailer Tires

Looks like a way to spell "high quality" if english is not your first, second, or third language...ha ha

Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 12-29-2022, 09:36 AM.
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by ron045 View Post

Ron
              Hmmm. When I see comments like this in the CONS column I become concerned in who is supplying the information. Spelling errors is the first sign to be cautious of the origins of the material.

I'll continue to purchase those US made Goodyear Endurance tires that did not make the list. Also odd that Sailun is not on the list where for an import tire they have a good reputation. More reasons to become suspicious.

Jim

Comment

Of those tires on the list, I think there are only 2 brands I have ever heard of before this week. After that, those 2 are the only ones I would consider, however they would only be used on my utility trailers not the Camper.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

As the OP of this thread I have a simple question...why do travel trailer tires have so many issues and such a short life span? This is my first fifth wheel trailer however, having owned many motorhomes, boat trailers, utility trailers, etc and not having had the issues noted I just don't understand. Note that I have always been very careful with tire pressures, keeping the tires covered and as dry as possible during storage. Second, why is there a special ST trailer tire designation? What is the difference between an ST and LT light truck tire? Thanks for educating me on this issue.
                  Brad
                  BradF
                  2016 Reflection 27RL
                  2023 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.6L Gas with B&W 3710

Comment

Without getting into a brand war, here is a nice video that describes some differences between trailer and passenger or light truck tires. A quick search here on tire failure or blowout will give a clue as to what not to buy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYOraVTyPOY

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BradF View Post
                      As the OP of this thread I have a simple question...why do travel trailer tires have so many issues and such a short life span? This is my first fifth wheel trailer however, having owned many motorhomes, boat trailers, utility trailers, etc and not having had the issues noted I just don't understand. Note that I have always been very careful with tire pressures, keeping the tires covered and as dry as possible during storage. Second, why is there a special ST trailer tire designation? What is the difference between an ST and LT light truck tire? Thanks for educating me on this issue.
                      Brad
                      Brad
                      Are you sure you want to open that can of worms. There are probably a dozen thread here on the difference between ST and LT tires, and hundreds elsewhere. The difference is generally sidewalls and overall construction. Sidewalls on an ST tire are generally thicker/stiffer and more robust and ST tires may have a greater load capacity conspired to an LT tire of the same size. LT tires are rated for drive and steering axles - ST tires are not - strictly trailer axles.

Now there are only 3 ST tires out there I would even consider to put on my trailer Keep in mind two of the following are G rated
                      Goodyear Endurance https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...%3Agy%3Atp-dsa
                      Sailun https://sailuntire.ca/en/plt/tires/s637st/
                      Goodyear G614 RST https://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/t...13922909900000 &%3Furl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.goodyeartrucktires.co m%2 Ftires%2Fproduct-details.html%3Flat%3D28.7552119%26lng%3D-82.0733985%26prodline%3D160007%26prodcode%3D139229 09900000%3Futm_source%3Dgoogle-ads&utm_agid=133454688669&creative=609867583100&de vice=c&placement=

Now for LT on a trailer - I have run them in the past on previous trailer and some brands use them as stock tires, such as Airstream, but you need to be very careful on sidewall construction. I have Michelin​ LTX on my research list, unless the changed the 3 or 4 ply sidewalls with the steel belts wrapping around. Expensive though. On edit - pricey this is one other LT I might put in my research when the time comes
                      Michelin XPS Rib LT235 /85 R16 120Q E1 BSW

Just my 02 - food for thought

Keith
                      Last edited by Yoda; 01-28-2023, 04:43 PM.
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Love my Michelin LTX tires on the TV. And they are US made. No complaints on these tires other than I wish they offered a D rated tire at the time. Run them at 45psi unloaded to help maintain ride quality. Otherwise when towing with my half ton, 45psi front and 50psi rear. Bilstein shocks helped with the increase in unsprung mass of the Michelins.

With todays high quality ST tires (a few actually), there is no reason to install an LT tire on a trailer.

Jim
                        Last edited by Guest; 01-28-2023, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Guest Yoda; thanks for the information and video link. The sidewall difference explanation makes sense.
                          Note that I have a set of Goodyear Endurance tires coming this week. Appreciate the help!
                          Brad
                          BradF
                          2016 Reflection 27RL
                          2023 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.6L Gas with B&W 3710

Comment

GY Endurance all day long. Make sure to have steel valve stems! Our flats have had stem failures not tire issues.
                            Rick & B
                            2018 F-350 6.7L SRW FX4
                            2019 Reflection 337RLS, 1000w solar, 400ah batteries, Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, GY Endurance tires, Truma water heater

Comment

Working...
                            X