No announcement yet.

Suspension Inspection - Six Years/25,000+ Miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A spiral groove around the bolt, crossing the grease supply hole, would be an ideal solution. This should not create any fracture paths that a circular ring or a cross drilled hole might. Machining this spiral would be difficult. Country Campers Brian . . . your thoughts on how this could be done?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The bolt is primarily a bearing component. There are low tension and bending loads. A shallow radiused circular groove around the bolt should not be a problem. Through drilling should also not be a problem. You could create a large counter sink at the hole to make a grease reservoir.
      Look at excavator pivot pins, there are a variety of grease distribution methods.
      Ted
      2021 Reflection 310RLS
      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        A spiral groove around the bolt, crossing the grease supply hole, would be an ideal solution. This should not create any fracture paths that a circular ring or a cross drilled hole might. Machining this spiral would be difficult. Country Campers Brian . . . your thoughts on how this could be done?

Rob
        You could use a Dremel tool with a rotary burr to create a spiral groove.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I would be very cautious in modifying these suspension pins where most components on these rigs are barely adequate. It would be better to try and purchase a custom spring with a thicker more robust bushing IMO. I serviced countless suspension and king pins in my former life as a diesel tech where these pins are in shear where the bushings were designed to retain grease...not the pin. To groove the pin along with the internal grease passage in the pin for these rigs would not be a good idea where you will be creating a stress concentration.

Jim
          Last edited by Guest; 01-12-2023, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Rob
            I would think as mentioned above that using a Dremel tool could create an adequate grease groove in the pin. A circular groove around the pin at the grease hole would be sufficient as well. These grooves would only be about .005" to .010" deep and in my opinion not cause any issues with the strength of the pin. I am sure that these pins are made with the cheapest material and in the cheapest manner possible. I have made large pins and bushings for all types of equipment with large grease grooves that have not caused any issues with breakage. When I have to rebuild my suspension I will have to try these methods. I think I like the countersink idea the best, easiest to do, and will provide more grease to the area. The reason there are not grooves or such on the stock pins is purely because of the cost to manufacture, more machining less profit margin.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

I would think as mentioned above that using a Dremel tool could create an adequate grease groove in the pin. A circular groove around the pin at the grease hole would be sufficient as well. These grooves would only be about .005" to .010" deep and in my opinion not cause any issues with the strength of the pin. I am sure that these pins are made with the cheapest material and in the cheapest manner possible. I have made large pins and bushings for all types of equipment with large grease grooves that have not caused any issues with breakage. When I have to rebuild my suspension I will have to try these methods. I think I like the countersink idea the best, easiest to do, and will provide more grease to the area. The reason there are not grooves or such on the stock pins is purely because of the cost to manufacture, more machining less profit margin.

Brian
              Let us know how this works on your rig Brian. Provide us with plenty of pics.
              Only after analysis would I try this. Remember, there is plenty of slop in these cheap springs where the impact loads should be considered. Surface imperfections provide the path for a fracture where the dremel should get the job done. Of all the wonderful mods on this forum, its hard to imagine folks would remotely consider this one.

Jim

Comment

Rob
                When I installed a Dexter EZ flex wet bolt kit on my previous trailer, the bushings had circumferential grooves. Circa 2011. Looking at the Dexter site it is difficult to tell if they are still that way. Local source replacement bushings are grooved. To me it seems the easiest way is maybe not to buy your bushings/kit from mor-ryde if dexter still has grooved bushings.
                I would never cut a groove into the bolt. IMO, that's just asking for a potentially catastrophic suspension failure. (Just my opinion...remember I'm an electrician....)
                2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

When I installed a Dexter EZ flex wet bolt kit on my previous trailer, the bushings had circumferential grooves. Circa 2011. Looking at the Dexter site it is difficult to tell if they are still that way. Local source replacement bushings are grooved. To me it seems the easiest way is maybe not to buy your bushings/kit from mor-ryde if dexter still has grooved bushings.
                  I would never cut a groove into the bolt. IMO, that's just asking for a potentially catastrophic suspension failure. (Just my opinion...remember I'm an electrician....)
                  Scott,

The issue here is a spring eye that is oblong (rarely round) so there is a lack of support for a proper bushing. The second issue is the thin bushing and lack of a steel backing where to groove our current bushing, would result in a failure (fracture) With a larger and properly sized spring eye, the bushing could be steel backed, thicker overall and dimpled..or grooved. Lippert and Dexter could get this spring issue solved if they had a desire to do so.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Scott,

The second issue is the thin bushing and lack of a steel backing where to groove our current bushing, would result in a failure (fracture)

Jim
                    In my experience..It would not. I ran grooved bushings for 9 years on previous trailer. Still looked brand new at the 7 year point. And even if it did, a fractured bushing is no safety issue. Loads of trailers on the road are running on virtually non-existent nylon bushings.
                    However, there are no trailers on the road that have suffered a suspension bolt failure.

Comment

Scott,

Please send me a link where I can purchase a grooved spring bushing to fit our rigs. Agree many folks out there are running on no bushings where this will not cause a potential catastrophe like modifying the pin.

Here is a good example in what a spring bushing would be if the spring eye was round to properly support the bushing.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...ine/14-67.html

Jim
                      Last edited by Guest; 01-12-2023, 10:10 AM.

Comment

The grooved bushings I ran, except for one, came from Dexter. They were part of the EZflex kit I installed in 2011. I damaged one and got a replacement from,
                        https://tractortrailerservice.com/service

The bushing from tractor trailer service had more grooves than the Dexter piece. Four if I remember right.

I don't know the spec of the bushing, but if you can get it to me, I can go see them and see if they still have the grooved bushing.
                        Or maybe I can just go ask, they will probably know what I'm talking about.
                        Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 01-12-2023, 10:14 AM.

Comment

To groove the pin or not may really be a non-solution to a non-problem. There is very little rotation to distribute grease and the load will squeeze what grease there is out of the contact area. Simply filling the pin to sleeve clearance should be effective enough. The only effect would be frequency or regreasing.
                          Ted
                          2021 Reflection 310RLS
                          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                            To groove the pin or not may really be a non-solution to a non-problem. There is very little rotation to distribute grease and the load will squeeze what grease there is out of the contact area. Simply filling the pin to sleeve clearance should be effective enough. The only effect would be frequency or regreasing.
                            Could be. If Dexter doesn't supply grooved bushings anymore, maybe they and MorRyde think the same thing?

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                              Ted, The idea would be more for ensuring the wet bolt takes grease. If for some reason the grease hole ends up against the bushing and grease cannot be pushed in, the groove would help ensure that the grease does indeed make it into the system vs the owner not greasing due to time or difficulty in releasing load from the axle.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

IF a new wet bolt doesn't take grease (because the wise installer listened to Rob and checked prior to installation) isn't the easiest answer a phone call to MORRyde requesting a replacement?
                                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                                X