Replace These Brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace These Brakes?

It was time for my annual bearing pack and brake inspection.

All of the brakes look similar, but with 25,000 miles, I'm not sure if they need replacing or not. The shoes still appear to have a lot of friction material. But the magnets and magnet surface on the drum are a little rough. The wear holes in the magnets are still showing though.

Being I'm a cheap skate, I think I can get by with another year (10-12K miles). Your thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake Lining RF.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	102715
    Brake shoe Lining (Forward)

Name:	Brake lining rear shoe rf.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	102713
    Brake Shoe Lining (Rear facing)

Name:	Magnet Surface.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	102712
    Brake Drum

Name:	Magnet 2.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	102716
    Magnet

Jim
    Attached Files
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

TucsonJim -- does a drum brake lining have a minimum thickness like a disc brake pad? (I'm only familiar with the latter.)
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi Jim,

The brake shoes look worn . . . but still have 10,000 miles on them. The wear on the magnets and mating drum surface is more of a concern. If you were just traipsing about the lower 48, I would say, put them back together and you are good to go for another year . . . but . . . given the Alaska plan . . . you might want to consider “all new” while you can do this in your own driveway with all the right tools and no time pressure.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
        TucsonJim -- does a drum brake lining have a minimum thickness like a disc brake pad? (I'm only familiar with the latter.)
        Great question. I just looked it up in the LCI axle manual. minimum thickness is 1/16" (0.063). I'm at approximately 0.156.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          Hi Jim,

The brake shoes look worn . . . but still have 10,000 miles on them. The wear on the magnets and mating drum surface is more of a concern. If you were just traipsing about the lower 48, I would say, put them back together and you are good to go for another year . . . but . . . given the Alaska plan . . . you might want to consider “all new” while you can do this in your own driveway with all the right tools and no time pressure.

Rob
          I just knew someone would bring some sanity to this discussion. Time to dig into the wallet. And also, I need to find a shop that can turn the drums for me.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie

Comment

There is a shop in Harmony Pa. that can do that turning for you .

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hi Jim,

The brake shoes look worn . . . but still have 10,000 miles on them. The wear on the magnets and mating drum surface is more of a concern
              Agree, there's lots of braking material left, I'd even double your estimate...but...How do you know if there's a magnet wear issue? They will always looked scraped up, it's metal on metal after all. Is there a thickness or other measurement to take? From my eye the magnets look fine. At least I don't see any obvious problem?

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

X2 if Alaska is planned, replace. The entire brake assembly is rather inexpensive where this would be cheap insurance.

Jim

Comment

Jim, do you have a stock set of brakes and magnets to compare to? If not, then I'd suggest ordering up a set to have comparison.

Reality of it in my mind and opinion, if it's questionable replace for 2 very important things. 1 - peace of mine knowing they are good. 2 - safety (i.e. what's my life, those rinding with me, and those on the road around me worth).
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

I'm going to bite the bullet and replace them. Tomorrow I begin the quest to find a machine shop in Tucson that will turn the drum's shoe and magnet surface. What I find unusual is that the drums have no specifications on maximum diameter stamped into the drum. Some shops will turn the job down if they don't have specifications to guide them.

Jim
                    Last edited by TucsonJim; 01-08-2023, 05:30 PM.
                    Jim and Ginnie

Comment

For the magnet surface on the drum, find a shop that does flywheels. that will be the setup they need to use.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Hi Jim,

Check the price of new hubs/drums before deciding to get the existing ones turned. Turning brake drums is a “lost art” . . . particularly the vertical surface where the magnet runs. Most car/truck drums are replaced rather turned, these days . . . Although, this does not usually include the hub.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi Jim,

Check the price of new hubs/drums before deciding to get the existing ones turned. Turning brake drums is a “lost art” . . . particularly the vertical surface where the magnet runs. Most car/truck drums are replaced rather turned, these days . . . Although, this does not usually include the hub.

Rob
                          I sure hate to sacrifice these drums to the scrap pile. I installed Timken bearings and races in them. If I buy new drums, then I will want to install a new Set of Timken bearings and races again. I just don't trust the no-name bearings that come with most of these.

Four new drums and Timken Bearing sets are approximately $525. Hopefully I can find a good machine shop that can turn them for $20-$25 each.
                          Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Jim, Our local O'Reilly turns drum, rotors, and flywheels. Check with the local parts houses, and possibly a couple of the local repair shops that specialize in brake jobs. The brake machine will turn flywheels if they know how.

I agree with Rob, everything now days is becoming "disposable". I check the thickness on my rotors before taking them into the shop (been told they were under before when they were not). I've even had to turn a drum before because the only person on site was too busy. It's not hard, just takes a little coaching.

If you are not changing the magnets or sanding them, I might be inclined to forgo turning the inside of the drum as the magnet is already bedded to that profile.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

TucsonJim

What I remember from school is the Brake Assembly (left pic below) can be purchased as an end item--new pads, springs, magnet...the whole thing is one assembly that bolts on.

If the Drum Armature (right pic below) is good (the component with the bearings and seals) can't the new brake assembly just be bolted on, adjusted, and then you're good? (Remember--the only time I've messed with these is in the classroom.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	drum and assembly.jpg Views:	12 Size:	133.7 KB ID:	102768
                              Last edited by howson; 01-09-2023, 07:26 AM.
                              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                              X