Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rear-bumper mounted spare tire too close to furnace exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear-bumper mounted spare tire too close to furnace exhaust?

Hello -

We just purchased a used 2022 Imagine XLS 17MKE, which has the spare tire mounted on the rear bumper right behind the furnace exhaust.

It seems to be pretty warm back there -- is there any chance it might degrade the spare tire? Would it be advisable to put some type of
    heat shield between the spare and the furnace vent?

Thanks

Steve Messinger, Boise ID, 2022 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Hi Steve,

I know that in the summer time here in Southern Arizona our tires see some pretty brutal temperatures. I'd suggest you purchase an IR heat gun if you don't already have one. If the surface temperature of the tire exceeds 115°F, I'd consider shielding it.

BTW, an IR heat gun is a great tool to keep with you on the road. You can check hub temperatures to see if a bearing or brake is overheating. I like the one from Klein tools.

https://amazon.com/Klein-Tools-IR1-T...s%2C127&sr=8-6

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Is it possible to move the spare tire mount a little bit to give the exhaust a clearer exit? I had to move a spare tire on a previous trailer because it blocked the view of the tail light.
      2019 Ford F250 Lariat Diesel
      2019 Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

I believe that the factory spare tire mount is under the trailer. Maybe check for that, I am guessing the previous owner moved it for better access.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          Hi Steve,

I know that in the summer time here in Southern Arizona our tires see some pretty brutal temperatures. I'd suggest you purchase an IR heat gun if you don't already have one. If the surface temperature of the tire exceeds 115°F, I'd consider shielding it.

BTW, an IR heat gun is a great tool to keep with you on the road. You can check hub temperatures to see if a bearing or brake is overheating. I like the one from Klein tools.

https://amazon.com/Klein-Tools-IR1-T...s%2C127&sr=8-6

Jim
          Thanks for the reply. I'll check the temperature. I agree that the IR thermometer would be handy to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
            I believe that the factory spare tire mount is under the trailer. Maybe check for that, I am guessing the previous owner moved it for better access.

Brian

We did get the trailer used, so it's not impossible that the spare was moved from the bottom to the bumper. However, I can't see any sign of any mounting
            hardware or even any holes in the belly cover for any hardware, so it looks to me like it was factory installed.

Comment

Originally posted by BC315RLTS View Post
              Is it possible to move the spare tire mount a little bit to give the exhaust a clearer exit? I had to move a spare tire on a previous trailer because it blocked the view of the tail light.

There's only a couple inches between the spare tire and the rear ladder, so it would be hard to move it very much.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMessinger View Post

We did get the trailer used, so it's not impossible that the spare was moved from the bottom to the bumper. However, I can't see any sign of any mounting
                hardware or even any holes in the belly cover for any hardware, so it looks to me like it was factory installed.
                The factory spare is on a cable that drops down from the underbelly. The control is on the door side which is a hex end on a shaft, the tool for using the stabilizer jacks is the same tool for the spare tire. The original owner may have taped the hole shut in the underbelly. Paul & Deb had a 17MKE and did a thread on adding better setup, I will see if he chimes in or I can find the thread.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Here is the thread New Spare Tire Carrier on 22MLE - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)​, sorry it is a 22MLE but still the same. Also it looks like the factory is mounted on the bumper not underneath, sorry for the confusion.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                    Here is the thread New Spare Tire Carrier on 22MLE - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)​, sorry it is a 22MLE but still the same. Also it looks like the factory is mounted on the bumper not underneath, sorry for the confusion.

Brian

Thanks for following up on that.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'll check the temperature. I agree that the IR thermometer would be handy to have.

A quick check showed 126 degrees on the tire.

Comment

A quick check showed 126 degrees on the tire.
                        That's too high in my opinion. It's not the vulcanizing temperature, but over time, I believe it will degrade your tire.

Jim
                        Jim and Ginnie
                        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

That's too high in my opinion. It's not the vulcanizing temperature, but over time, I believe it will degrade your tire.

Jim

I'll work on a shield of some kind -- thanks for the input.

Steve

Comment

So I looked on https://www.ronhooverrvs.com/product...mke-1816147-29 and they show the back of 2 different 17's with neither showing the spare.

Also here on the site: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-on-xls-17-mke

You may want to look for the winch control to raise and lower the tire.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                              So I looked on https://www.ronhooverrvs.com/product...mke-1816147-29 and they show the back of 2 different 17's with neither showing the spare.

Also here on the site: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-on-xls-17-mke

You may want to look for the winch control to raise and lower the tire.

I have looked and don't see anything on the bottom that could be mounting hardware or winch hardware. I really don't think the spare was ever mounted on the bottom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230112_101658.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	102995

Thanks

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X