Bumper Strength Imagine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumper Strength Imagine

Has anyone beefed up the rear bumper of a Imagine? The stock weight limit is 150 pounds. Spare tire weights about 47 pounds, generator in a basket about 105 pounds. So, I’m over weight and would like to add firewood to the basket.
    I’m looking for ways to strengthen OR REPLACE the rear bumper.
    Has anyone done this?

I would love to hear what and how you did it.

While most anything is possible with adding support, I would not recommend you using the bumper at all aside from the spare tire and sewer hose. Its far too thin.

You would be better off installing an add on hitch that bolts to the frame. This mod will also void your frame warranty.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...URT/13703.html

Jim

Comment

Jkwilson mentions in this thread (similar topic) that he cut off the bumper and welded on a receiver. He'll see the tag and will hopefully chime in.

More threads on this topic:
      https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...mper-bike-rack
      https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...receiver-hitch
      https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...r-2021-imagine

Howard

P.S. Please check out the Welcome Letter so you can get the most from your time here on GD's Technical Forum.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

On my Reflection, the bumper brackets were welded to the bottom of the frame rails. It did not come with a rear receiver, so I bought a Curt 13703 hitch. It fit, but the receiver was lined up with the bumper. I elected to remove the bumper by cutting the brackets off the frame rails. The hitch works very well for a bike rack.

I added a fence post sewer hose storage under the trailer which is a nice addition.
        John & Kathy
        2014 Reflection 303RLS
        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
          On my Reflection, the bumper brackets were welded to the bottom of the frame rails. It did not come with a rear receiver, so I bought a Curt 13703 hitch. It fit, but the receiver was lined up with the bumper. I elected to remove the bumper by cutting the brackets off the frame rails. The hitch works very well for a bike rack.

I added a fence post sewer hose storage under the trailer which is a nice addition.
          Have you got any pics of this arrangement? I'm thinking of the same for my 2023 23BHE.
          2023 Imagine XLS 23 BHE, F-150 LWB Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by goodXgang View Post

Have you got any pics of this arrangement? I'm thinking of the same for my 2023 23BHE.
            The hitch, or the sewer hose tube?

John & Kathy
            2014 Reflection 303RLS
            2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post

The hitch, or the sewer hose tube?
              Both please.
              2023 Imagine XLS 23 BHE, F-150 LWB Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by goodXgang View Post

Both please.
                I thought I had pictures somewhere, but can’t find them. May be a few weeks, since I don’t have lights in the building where I park the camper.
                John & Kathy
                2014 Reflection 303RLS
                2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

I noticed that the previous owners installed a hitch receiver on the bumper next to where the spare tire is mounted. I'm considering getting a two bike hitch rack to use with that. I expect the rack and 2 bikes (not heavy bikes) would put me over the weight limit on my xls bumper. But, if I use straps to secure the bikes and rack to the ladder would that ensure I don't damage the bumper or frame?
                  Mike, Claire and Bode (our Golden)
                  2019 Imagine XLS 22RBE
                  2020 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited
                  image.png

Comment

Originally posted by mgsmithnj View Post
                    I noticed that the previous owners installed a hitch receiver on the bumper next to where the spare tire is mounted. I'm considering getting a two bike hitch rack to use with that. I expect the rack and 2 bikes (not heavy bikes) would put me over the weight limit on my xls bumper. But, if I use straps to secure the bikes and rack to the ladder would that ensure I don't damage the bumper or frame?
                    Check out the threads linked in post 3. Bottom line: to the best of my knowledge those bumpers are not designed to carry bike racks. (A call to Grand Design Customer Service will confirm that input...or I'll learn there's been a change!)

Howard
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Thanks. I've read that the bumpers are not designed for anything other than the tire. It's honestly a shame because as someone else pointed out in that other thread there are limited other places to carry bicycles. I put my gravel bike in the truck bed for our last trip, but that was just my one bike. I'd like to find a way to bring my wife's bike as well.

I was also looking at ladder attached bike carrier. The ladder on the rear is at least strong enough to hold me, and and probably rated for well over 200lbs. I suppose that's why I was thinking I could use a combination of a hitch rack and very tightly strapping the bikes/carrier to the ladder for support. The goal being to avoid the bouncing of the carrier/bikes on the bumper.

Maybe this more complicated that just simple weight on the rear bumper too. Does that extra weight put strain on the suspension in general? So even if I was to find a way to securely attach the bikes to the back and reduce strain on the bumper/frame, there are other concerns that make it a bad choice. If that's the case, I think the only real option is to get them in the truck bed somewhere.
                      Mike, Claire and Bode (our Golden)
                      2019 Imagine XLS 22RBE
                      2020 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited
                      image.png

Comment

There are bike racks that mount to the front of the frame over the propane tanks etc. Might be a solution for you.
                        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

mgsmithnj I would not do the ladder either. There's as big difference between weight on the ladder while the rig is stationary and when bouncing up and down going down the highway.

For your use I'd recommend a over the tongue unit (like a jack it) or ice also seen people using the ones that keep the bikes upright over the tonneau cover.

Neil Citro
                          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

mgsmithnj -- consider giving Lippert a call and ask if they have a solution. On the very front of your trailer on the inside of the "A" frame should be a white sticker with an RPO identifier. This is the frame information Lippert will need to answer your question. What they may be able to provide is the approved method to add a hitch to the end of the frame member. Obviously that means removing the bumper.

Lippert's info here: https://support.lci1.com/contact

Do a search (Google, DuckDuckGo, etc) using this criteria: hitch frame site:gdrvowners.com There are multiple threads on this very topic -- some may give you some ideas.

Paul & Deb -- didn't you do something like this? I seem to remember someone welding a hitch to their frame.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Paul & Deb -- didn't you do something like this? I seem to remember someone welding a hitch to their frame.
                              I did and it has been perfect. Here's the link.

https://gdrvowners.com/towing-and-hi...-our-new-22mle
                              Paul and Deb Cervone
                              2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                              2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
                              2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Working...
                              X