Recently Discovered Product: RV-De-Fender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recently Discovered Product: RV-De-Fender

I know several of you have taken steps to protect the floor above the tires. Here is a different approach: RV-DE-FENDER Tire Blowout Protection System for your trailer or RV
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
    I know several of you have taken steps to protect the floor above the tires. Here is a different approach: RV-DE-FENDER Tire Blowout Protection System for your trailer or RV
    This is a great idea since the plates added to the underside of the floor could hold moisture and result in rot. It may be possible to modify these fenders to install to the frame and tuck in out of view.

Jim

Comment

Pricing seems pretty extreme since it’s nothing more than a trailer fender that mounts on the axle. If they work, it could certainly save you money on a repair
      John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

I did not see a price, but it just looks like a single axle trailer fender with a support bracket.

$40 at tractor supply and about $34 e-trailer.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          I did not see a price, but it just looks like a single axle trailer fender with a support bracket.

$40 at tractor supply and about $34 e-trailer.
          $800….per axle.

John & Kathy
          2014 Reflection 303RLS
          2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

This fender mounts to the axle flange where the brake backing plate or disc caliper bracket attaches. Thus, it is going to be moving with the axle. There are a lot of tight clearances to this motion, particularly if you have hydraulic lines to disc brakes. Reinforcing the underside of the wheel well seems like a better (and much less expensive) alternative.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Good idea, but $800 per axle is nuts.
              2003 Ford F250 6.0 CC 4wd SB
              2016 Reflection 27RL
              1999 Keystone Sprinter 27FWBHGL (SOLD)​
              Lakeland, FL

Comment

My first thought is to just replace tires every couple of years. My two year old Goodyear Endurance tires were badly cracked down in the tread grooves. This after only 2 years and 19,000 miles. But the RV sits in storage for 8 months each year. Probably not all that good for tires. I replaced them and feel good about it.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyStar View Post
                  My two year old Goodyear Endurance tires were badly cracked down in the tread grooves.
                  Goodyear haas a good reputation primarily because they are made in the US . . . but, I have read about these cracks in the tread grooves. I have never seen this concern on my original Westlakes or the two replacement sets of Maxxis . . . all tire changes at three years and about 15,000 miles apart.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I've not seen this issue on my five year old Goodyear Endurance tires.

Jim

Comment

Let's not turn this into yet another tire thread. Thoughts on RV De-Fender? Worth the cost? Possible advantages/disadvantages? What about mounting a fender to the frame above the tires? Stay with sheet metal? Other thoughts?
                      John
                      2018 Momentum 395M
                      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyStar View Post
                        My first thought is to just replace tires every couple of years. My two year old Goodyear Endurance tires were badly cracked down in the tread grooves. This after only 2 years and 19,000 miles. But the RV sits in storage for 8 months each year. Probably not all that good for tires. I replaced them and feel good about it.
                        I hope GY warranted the tires since cracking in two years would be a defect. There is a recall going on over SUV tires cracking where they are being replaced for free.

For the De-fender mounted to the axle? When it fatigues and falls off it will be an eye opener. Mounting to the frame would be ideal and they could easily be made at home. It may be worth a try to modify a fender like the one below. There is a stainless version too.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Fen...er/HP74VR.html

Jim
                        Last edited by Guest; 01-23-2023, 07:47 AM.

Comment

I actually purchased a pair of fenders similar to those linked in post 12 with the intent of fitting these into the wheel wells of my Reflection 5th wheel. I have seen pictures where others have accomplished this. This turned out to be very complex to avoid the slide mechanisms, floor supports and other things in the way. I ended up going with flat metal (I used 1/8” aluminum) on the most vulnerable surface above. I would be concerned that this fender attached to the axle would not clear everything else and if it got damaged would end up doing more damage to the surrounding area than a flapping tire tread could do.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                            I actually purchased a pair of fenders similar to those linked in post 12 with the intent of fitting these into the wheel wells of my Reflection 5th wheel. I have seen pictures where others have accomplished this. This turned out to be very complex to avoid the slide mechanisms, floor supports and other things in the way. I ended up going with flat metal (I used 1/8” aluminum) on the most vulnerable surface above. I would be concerned that this fender attached to the axle would not clear everything else and if it got damaged would end up doing more damage to the surrounding area than a flapping tire tread could do.

Rob
                            Rob,

If I were to use the one piece fenders, I would section them, fit the sections and weld them back together. For those with the schwintek, this may be an easier task. With the drop sections fore and aft, this would deflect much more road debris.

A fender mounted to the axle is asking for significant issues, since fatigue could occur over time. First step for me was to replace the Westlakes since their track record is appalling. Had no issue but was not waiting for one.

Then the liner could provide additional protection even from flying gravel. Sealing to the floor to avoid trapped moisture is also critical. I'm wondering if a high impact plastic may be useful to avoid condensation and be easier to fit.

Jim

Comment

I'm intrigued with a polycarbonate option. The material looks plenty strong and passes UL972. Could be sealed and screwed in with the supplied polycarbonate bars. The floor would prevent flex and the polycarbonate would protect from impact and abrasion.

https://www.mcmaster.com/polycarbona...eets-and-bars/

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X