Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Increasing Tire "Width" Compromise Suspension Integrity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Increasing Tire "Width" Compromise Suspension Integrity?

I was reading a recently updated thread regarding a change in tire size from 205/75/15 to 225/75/15. This is a change I would like to make, move from a D load rating to an E. Changing to a 10-ply (I believe) requires an upsize to the 225 which is ~10% wider than the 205. Given the stresses on suspension components in (tights) turns, is a 10% wider tire a concern?

Mike
    Mike & Sonya
    2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
    Blue Ox SwayPro
    2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Originally posted by NoPeeking View Post
    I was reading a recently updated thread regarding a change in tire size from 205/75/15 to 225/75/15. This is a change I would like to make, move from a D load rating to an E. Changing to a 10-ply (I believe) requires an upsize to the 225 which is ~10% wider than the 205. Given the stresses on suspension components in (tights) turns, is a 10% wider tire a concern?

Mike
    Should not make much difference unless you are close to your frame. but I have yet to see that be an issue. I went to 16" without problems. I say go for it

Now if your concerned take a few measurements and pictures of your existing tire clearances and post them. Width should not be a problem and you may get a small amount of lift - maybe 1/2" .
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Mike
      Mike,

I have made this exact change with no issues. Now the tire will be slightly taller so be sure you have enough clearance. The 225 tire will be 1.2" taller (through aspect ratio) which means it will be 0.6" closer to the floor. This is the only concern IMO. I travel with confidence with the E rated tires at 65 psi since they are more resistance to road hazard and are not running at their max side wall pressures and load. Look over the tire inflation charts for your particular loading. I just set the E rated tires at the D rated pressures which gave the tires an additional 400lbs of load capacity.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Jim

Comment

As long as you are not changing the back spacing on the rims, you do not change the way the hubs are loaded. Increasing sidewall strength is a bit of a change, but you should still be in the limits of the system the way it was designed.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thank you for the benefit of your experience. My question stems from trying to connect two dots that, likely, aren't there... two common mods folks appear to undertake are upgraded tires and repaired/upgraded suspension components due to cracked welds, broken hangers and failed bolts/bushings. My thought being a wider tire would increase stress/torque on the (already mediocre) suspension in turn situations.

Jim Guest, I appreciate your feedback having made the exact change. I will confirm clearances and start tire shopping for the spring.

Mike
          Mike & Sonya
          2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
          Blue Ox SwayPro
          2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Mike,

If it helps you further, the rear hangers make up the majority of failures. In a rig the size of yours and mine, I do not believe any additional hanger support is needed since these failures have primarily been on the heavier 5vers/Travel Trailers and especially with tall hangers. You will have the short hangers. Just inspect them from time to time.

Once you plan to have the bearings packed, this would be a good time to have the greaseable pins, spring bushings and heavier shackles installed. Other items can be added like damped MorRyde equalizers CRE-3000 or equivalent. I have the MorRyde X Factor on the center hangers only since the most lateral motion on the hangers are at the center. You can always go further but I do not believe you would need too. For some, more is better so that is a personal choice.

Jim

Comment

Thank you for the benefit of your experience. My question stems from trying to connect two dots that, likely, aren't there... two common mods folks appear to undertake are upgraded tires and repaired/upgraded suspension components due to cracked welds, broken hangers and failed bolts/bushings. My thought being a wider tire would increase stress/torque on the (already mediocre) suspension in turn situations.

Jim Guest, I appreciate your feedback having made the exact change. I will confirm clearances and start tire shopping for the spring.

Mike
              Take a look at the Moryde X-Factor cross bracing. I am putting them on my rig. Also in tire shopping I highly recommend the Goodyear Endurance - they survived the Alaska trip.
              Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I will confirm clearances and start tire shopping for the spring.

Mike
                Mike, your post is somewhat timely for myself as I too am due this spring to replace the OEM Westlakes on our 2400BH. I hadn't considered the option to upsize and installing E rated tires, so do please report back your findings on clearances and what tires you end up going with.

For what it's worth, I did the MORryde equalizer and shackle upgrade last year, but only because I could hear the suspension squeaking like crazy when we would pull into a campground. I didn't feel like I required an enhancement to the towing or anything, but I really wanted to get the plastic bushings out of there and install the wet bolts, and figured if I went that far, might as well do the rest. Funny how it goes that way sometimes . In the end, I'm glad we did that upgrade, again for being able to grease those components and having the heavier shackle in there.
                2019 Imagine 2400BH
                2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Perhaps one of the moderators can confirm the minimum clearance at GVW? I have an older unit (built in 2016) where those clearances were an issue and had to be corrected. 2019 and beyond was corrected.
                  FYI.....The CRE3000 will add more than 0.6" of clearance. Trying not to muddy the waters here.

Jim

Jim

Comment

Just my 02. In my research you want about 3" clearance above the tire. 2.5" is OK. Thought behind this number is most of our springs have a 3" free arch and full load is usually at 1.5" compression. E trailer also has some reference to the 3" too

To totally prevent tire contact consider sumo springs - not for the load, but to act as dampeners and bumper stops to prevent contact.

Food for thought
                    Keith

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                      Perhaps one of the moderators can confirm the minimum clearance at GVW?
                      Unfortunately that level of detail is not available to us, Jim.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Ok thank you Howard. Keith conveys what I have heard before where IMHO , 3 inches at GVW would be minimal and perhaps a little sparse. I've also heard 4" unloaded. There is articulation of the system so this will reduce the clearance a bit in some circumstances.

Edit: I remember the 0.75 inch claim where it had to do with your particular equalizer geometry and mass of the rig. A measurement would be best to be sure.

To make this easier, attached is the qualifier pdf.

Per MORryde:

Take the following measurements:

_____ (A) Distance from the side of the tire to the side of the frame hanger. A minimum of 1 11/16" is required.

_____ (B) Distance from the top of the tire to the bottom of the floor at load. A minimum of 3" is required. It is best practice to utilize a bump stop on the frame of the trailer for the axle assembly to bottom into before the tire contacts the floor.

_____ (C) Distance from the closest part of the axle assembly to the underside of the frame at load. A minimum of 2 1/2" is required.

_____ (D) Height of the stock equalizer from the center of the top bolt hole to the center of the bottom bolt hole.

Jim
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Guest; 01-31-2023, 08:18 PM.

Comment

NoPeeking Thank you for asking this question. I have the same rig. I installed the MORryde last year and immediately noticed a difference. I swapped everything out for wet bolts and enjoy the fact that I have a little bit of control of the life and safety of the rig. Something might fail but not because I didn't have it lubricated.

Now it's tire time. Is Goodyear Endurance the right choice or does anyone recommend a different brand?
                          2021 Imagine 2400BH
                          2022 Nissan Armada SL

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                            Also in tire shopping I highly recommend the Goodyear Endurance - they survived the Alaska trip.
                            Keith
                            I'm a fan of the Endurance tire as well.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                            Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Same here. I hardly ever have to add air to them.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X