Leveling up the axles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leveling up the axles

I have our RV resting on the leveling Jack's, and one side of the axle is considerably lower than the other side, is it necessary to have the lowest side of the axle level on wheel blocks? Does it stretch the springs?

Originally posted by Lazydaze View Post
    I have our RV resting on the leveling Jack's, and one side of the axle is considerably lower than the other side, is it necessary to have the lowest side of the axle level on wheel blocks? Does it stretch the springs?
    FYI--thread moved to the Technical Forum > Suspension, Brakes & Tires channel to ensure it gets maximum visibility. -Moderator Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Lazydaze View Post
      I am not sure if this will damage the springs , it is a possibility if left this way for a long period of time. In regards to leveling blocks, I use them all of the time. When parking at a site I will use blocks to get pretty close to level side to side then use the leveling jacks to do the rest. If you have manual jacks you will want to get really level side to side first. I personally do not think it is safe or a good practice to use the camper with one or both side wheels off of the ground. This is just I a practice I have used for all of my campers.

Brian

PS. welcome to the forum.
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I agree with Brian on the leveling with blocks under the tires and just want to note that we routinely use blocks under or jacks to keep the lift to somewhere between 4 and 6 inches. Had one site were we over-stroked our jacks due to extreme side to side slope of the site so this is now common practice for us.
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, this will influence my decision to go ahead and level the axles while parked for the winter months next to our home. We do have blocks under the Jack's but I have not did the axles yet.

Comment

Even on my motorhome with rather heavy duty HWH hydraulic leveling jacks, I carry boards to get the coach relatively level prior to actual leveling. Reduces frame flex, yes even a Freightliner frame flexes, and that way the jacks don't have to hyper extend. I put blocks, homemade style, under the jacks also.
            2007 Itasca Horizon w/2017 Wrangler "pusher toad"
            2015 Solitude 320X (sold) likely a 351M to take it's place
            2017 Ram 3500 Laramie 4wd CC LB SRW
            2019 Harley Davidson Heritage 114 as the toy

Comment

Working...
            X