Correcting Tire Contact on Older 2017 Imagine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correcting Tire Contact on Older 2017 Imagine

After reading several threads on tire failures (another topic) and after two seasons, I decided to look into a tire upgrade. The OEM D rated ST205/75R15 tires were running at the maximum recommended sidewall pressures (65psi) where more durability was desired, so the decision was made to upgrade to an E rated Goodyear Endurance. Since Goodyear did not make an E rated tire in the ST205/75R15, it was decided to move up to the ST225/75R15 tire. It would no longer be necessary to run the tires at maximum pressures based on the loading of the light weight Imagine and with the use of Goodyear’s loading tables (and another topic).

Since moving up to a 225 aspect ratio means I would lose ½ inch of tire to floor clearance, I took some measurements and noticed my original tires had struck the curb side (kitchen) floor. At that time, I realized my springs had yielded and were flattened out without adequate spring arch. I called Lippert back in mid 2017 and they sent new replacement 1750lb springs at no charge for my 3500lb 3” Lippert axles. 2019 models would later be upgraded with a higher capacity Dexter suspension system and E rated tires.

While being a mystery in how my original springs had yielded, I needed to come up with a solution that would not violate the original intent of the manufacturer while improving the tire to floor clearance and to also improve the ride quality in hopes of avoiding flat springs in the future. I had seen folks elsewhere using lift blocks and I had used them back in my off road days in the 70’s so I had a buddy machine 1 inch blocks from steel where I came up with a simple and effective design that would integrate the block to the spring pack. This simple design would result in less movement at the spring/axle interface where a longer spring center bolt would be utilized to bolt the block directly to the spring pack.
    New 9/16x3x7.5 inch U bolts were purchased from a local spring shop and the longer center bolts were purchased through eTrailer.. A MORryde CRE3000 system and heavy duty shackle kit was purchased through Amazon and installed.

RESULTS
    The new springs recovered about ¾ inch of height on the heavy kitchen side where the left side was unchanged. The Imagine was returned to a total clearance of 3 inches before the new tires would be installed. Since the Imagine was not fully loaded, this clearance would not be satisfactory and I would lose another ½” of clearance with the new slightly taller Goodyear’s.
    Adding the MORryde CRE3000 gained an additional ¾ inch and with the 1 inch lift blocks, 1.75 inches of tire to floor clearance was gained with a total of 4.75 inches. Subtracting the ½ inch of additional height of the Goodyear Endurance tires, the RV sits 2.25 inches taller overall with an adequate tire to floor clearance at 4.25 inches.

Next the plan was to install bump stops to allow for original range of motion but to prevent any future tire to floor contact. Since having camped for a couple seasons without floor contact, this was determined to be unnecessary for my use. Your case may be different.

RIDE AND HANDLING
    Hitch height had to be raised to accommodate the raised chassis and after a trip a significant increase in ride quality was observed. No chucking was noted, and there is no sway or unwanted motion. There is slightly more body roll when making tight turns such as at a light, due to the free motion of the suspension with the wet bolts, but this is not a concern.
    So this is the history on my old 2017 2600RB (time does fly) where next I will detail some highlights on installing the MORryde CRE3000, new springs, the MORryde heavy duty shackle kit and 1” lift blocks. This work was light, simple and straight forward where if you are mechanically inclined, or even have a helper that wants to learn a few things as I did, it becomes very enjoyable.

I apologize for the long write up but there is some history here for those that may have a pre 2019 unit. Today after the 2019 upgrades, this unit incorporates 4400 lb axles, 2200lb springs, Dexter axles, 6 lug wheels and E rated tires. For those wanting to upgrade to the higher rated suspension components, approval from GDRV should be acquired.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 01-16-2020, 04:51 PM.

Jim - excellent write-up and pictures. Seeing your bolt and nut "heads" seemingly meticulously aligned to the same position (did you do this by design or ?) reminds me of the phillips screw heads all aligned on the quality performance boats that Carol and I and other boating friends had back in the day. The phillips screw heads in our stainless steel rub rails HAD to be perfectly aligned.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Dan,

Thank you. The thread count above the nuts was intentional where it is possible to overtighten one side of a U bolt so to watch roughly how much tread is exposed will lead to better clamping. The actual position of the nuts just happened to end up this way most likely due to the thread count. Torque values on all the nuts was at 60 ft-lb.

Jim
      Last edited by Guest; 01-18-2020, 01:11 PM.

Comment

I'm working on installation instructions on these components as well as the MORryde X Factor bracket that has since been installed on the center hanger. Since I was initially stuck with the 1750lb replacement springs (did not get approval back then to go with 2200lb) I'm contemplating on adding a shock kit to further improve upon the soft ride. This could be another topic where feedback from those that are running shocks would be valuable.

Jim

Comment

Working...
        X