Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RV Shocks. Who is using them and how do you like them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beachcamper Vivian, I am from Louisiana and can attest that the roads are some of the worst. However, they are not the absolute worst. Arkansas along the Mississippi river south of Memphis thus far in my life I think had the worst section of road. I will say the quality of the paved road was worse than some gravel roads I have traveled.

I'm also thinking of adding some type of shock or Sumo spring to my 303. When I look under it the shape of the springs is questionable as they appear to be almost king ranch "W" shaped. I know it's not overloaded because I have weighted it (axle by axle) and the springs from side to side look the same.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
      Beachcamper Vivian, I am from Louisiana and can attest that the roads are some of the worst. However, they are not the absolute worst. Arkansas along the Mississippi river south of Memphis thus far in my life I think had the worst section of road. I will say the quality of the paved road was worse than some gravel roads I have traveled.

I'm also thinking of adding some type of shock or Sumo spring to my 303. When I look under it the shape of the springs is questionable as they appear to be almost king ranch "W" shaped. I know it's not overloaded because I have weighted it (axle by axle) and the springs from side to side look the same.
      Joseph, can you post a picture of the shape of your springs? Mine look pretty normal and have the smile shape still. You are correct that Mississippi and Arkansas have horrible roads because I spent a lot of time there too looking for good fishing spots, but not towing the rig. But the highways where I tow through is the issue. I have considered better shocks for my truck but given it’s a one ton, it would be a waste of money.
      Vivian
      2018 Reflection 303rls
      Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
      Demco Recon

Comment

Beachcamper Vivian, Will get pictures of the springs when it comes back from it's 60 day appointment. I dropped it at the dealer Wednesday with a short list of things that need to be addresses. Most minor, but the rims discoloring under the clear (yes it's under the clear and not flaking) may take a while. Service advisor did not return my call on estimate of time Friday. I need to go pick up a part they ordered for me today and return something else, so if she is there, Hopefully I can get an answer on timing.

Did not learn till I was there that they do not normally do "waiters" on 60 day or Wednesday's (sounds like BS to me) and was not advised it would be a drop off when they made the appointment when we took delivery in March.

BTW HWY 49 in Arkansas and Mississippi. Both were "rough" but Arkansas side was horrible enough I could not look in the rear view mirror. I could see the pinbox flexing. I ordered and pick up next week a Morryde rubber pinbox (capture plate is at the dealer). I vaguely remember the interstate around Memphis being a bit rough also.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          Beachcamper Yoda

Hi Vivian,

A "timely" revisit of this topic. I have also been considering these alternatives. Based on Keith's detailed writeup and reported results on the Sumo springs https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...all-tss-107-47 I am going to go this way. I like that this will dampen the side-to-side motion of the trailer when parked and I like that the Sumo springs do not require holes in the lower flange of the frame rails.

Rob
          it gives me confidence knowing you will be also installing these on your 303rls ​​​​​​​ I had read Keith’s post but did not see his last update at beginning of month. When I get somewhere for a month or so, will order them.
          Vivian
          2018 Reflection 303rls
          Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
          Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            Beachcamper Yoda

Hi Vivian,

A "timely" revisit of this topic. I have also been considering these alternatives. Based on Keith's detailed writeup and reported results on the Sumo springs https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...all-tss-107-47 I am going to go this way. I like that this will dampen the side-to-side motion of the trailer when parked and I like that the Sumo springs do not require holes in the lower flange of the frame rails.

​​​​​​​Rob
            Thanks Rob for the kind words. It should be noted that I used the heaver of the two sumo springs available. So far I am pleased wit them, especially with the larger tires and rims. https://www.superspringsinternationa...op/tss-107-47/
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

The sumos are 10% off right now with code journeybetter. Just FYI

My concern with the sumos is regarding initially hitting bumps. Being 'sort of' an air bag, wouldn't this impart more energy to the trailer frame making it more jarring to the contents of the trailer?

I must admit, I don't notice my trailer bouncing around while travelling so I'm struggling with whether adding sumos is a good way to spend some $$. Guess the hard part is getting good comparative data.
              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
              Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                The sumos are 10% off right now with code journeybetter. Just FYI

My concern with the sumos is regarding initially hitting bumps. Being 'sort of' an air bag, wouldn't this impart more energy to the trailer frame making it more jarring to the contents of the trailer?

I must admit, I don't notice my trailer bouncing around while travelling so I'm struggling with whether adding sumos is a good way to spend some $$. Guess the hard part is getting good comparative data.

Scott
                The inside ride might be a bit harsher, but the overall handling is much improved - especially on rough interstates like I40 through Louisiana. the bounce and bucking over bridge joints basically disappeared also noticed a difference when being passed by semi's. There was much less sucking. This was also true for high side winds. I am very happy with the install. Also if you search the web I believe there is a video comparing side by side to shocks - I cant find it right now, but I will keep looking..There are also several doing before and after shock installs on trailers - mixed results if I remember correctly. BTW I installed the heavier set and increased to 16" tires (heavier wheels) so keep this in mind.

Hope this helps
                Keith
                Last edited by Yoda; 10-14-2021, 08:00 PM.
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                  the bounce and bucking over bridge joints basically dispensary also noticed a difference when being passed by semi's.
                  I know it's an auto correct issue...but what does this mean Keith?

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                    I know it's an auto correct issue...but what does this mean Keith?
                    Fixed it "basically disappeared" IE. it went away big time.

Comment

I have had sumos for sometime and agree they do improve the bucking and body roll. I also believe they will slow the collapse of the leaf springs which overtime will began to sag. I am going to be adding shocks to mine this winter but keeping the sumo springs.
                      2017 F250 Diesel Superduty SRW SWB
                      2020 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

Basically the sumo springs are a supplement spring which dampens and absorbs energy (slows acceleration of the spring) during the compression of the spring. The further the compression the more the resistance. Since all options have positives as well as negatives, the negative is the lack of rebound damping. So those compressive forces of the sumo are given back when the suspension returns after a spring compression.
                        For the shocks, compression as well as rebound damping (60/40 if my memory serves me) is achieved where forces in both compression as well as rebound are converted to heat, so some of this energy is converted and does not give back. Both options help to prevent over-travel in compression. Sumos most likely have the edge in preventing overtravel over the shocks and can act as bump stops. Shocks absorb energy to help prevent over-travel but in extreme cases cannot prevent overtravel of the spring but smooth out the rebound.
                        So both options have pros and cons where most likely both options would improve ride conditions over having nothing. I agree that the best option for the shocks would be to weld in the upper brackets.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                        X