Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RV Shocks. Who is using them and how do you like them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV Shocks. Who is using them and how do you like them?

Would like to hear from folks in how they like their shocks after installation. Looking at the Joyrider and Lippert kits. Each has there pros and cons where feedback would be helpful based on actual usage.

See installation instructions from several manufacturers.

Dexter Shock Installation.pdf Joy_Rider_Installation.pdf Lippert Shock Installation.pdf Roadmaster Installation.pdf
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2020, 09:29 AM.

Wow no feedback. I will plan to install them in early summer and will provide feedback on any ride improvement. Each has their benefits where I prefer the frame mounting of the Lippert shock kit but am also curious on their mounting angle strategy. Thinking they may be trying to dampen the vertical as well as the motion of the axle in articulation but at this time I can only suspect this is their strategy.

My imagine is sort of an odd case with 3 inch axles so the kit I would be purchasing would be for 3 inch axles which is generally categorized for the 5000 - 8000 axle capacities so it will be interesting just how these shocks respond.

@Cate&Rob I know you have done some shock tuning work in the past. What do you think about Lippert's mounting strategy?
    Last edited by Guest; 01-25-2020, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
      Wow no feedback. I will plan to install them and will provide feedback if any ride improvement has been achieved.
      I'd considered them, Jim, but as you know decided to just get the IS based off of Second Chance Rob's experience and others. "Cry once"...and boy did I when I paid the bill...
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I'd considered them, Jim, but as you know decided to just get the IS based off of Second Chance Rob's experience and others. "Cry once"...and boy did I when I paid the bill...
        Howard,

From your pics I see MORryde uses shocks with their IS system. I'm sure the use of shock on the IS helps a great deal. For these heavy rigs, the issues of not having shocks differs from autos. Rarely do the wheels leave the ground on a trailer as in a auto or truck due to such heavy loading. This also applies with wheel balancing, but I do it. This damping can smooth things out as the coach moves in the vertical direction. For my Imagine, I have a fairly soft suspension and rather than move to heavier springs as in the new models, I'm thinking of adding the shocks to help stabilize that vertical motion. My rig rides great but on those sinusoidal roads, this vertical motion of the trailer can be a PITA.

Jim

Comment

Howard,

From your pics I see MORryde uses shocks with their IS system. I'm sure the use of shock on the IS helps a great deal. For these heavy rigs, the issues of not having shocks differs from autos. Rarely do the wheels leave the ground on a trailer as in a auto or truck due to such heavy loading. This also applies with wheel balancing, but I do it. This damping can smooth things out as the coach moves in the vertical direction. For my Imagine, I have a fairly soft suspension and rather than move to heavier springs as in the new models, I'm thinking of adding the shocks to help stabilize that vertical motion. My rig rides great but on those sinusoidal roads, this vertical motion of the trailer can be a PITA.

Jim
          As I was doing chores it dawned on me that you had an Imagine--the IS would be overkill for that trailer (7850 GVWR). My 315's 10,995 is probably the lowest GVWR for something as robust as the IS, especially considering the cost.

Bottom line: you'll be the shock pioneer for the Imagine crowd. I'm sure lots of folks are going to be interested in your results.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard,

Sure I can be the guinea pig for the Imagine. I may be able to acquire (may since this equipment is expensive and borrowed) some data acquisition equipment so we will see. At a minimum, I will be able to gather before and after video of the underside of the rig on the same section of road.

Jim
            Last edited by Guest; 01-25-2020, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Howard,

Sure I can be the guinea pig for the Imagine. I may be able to acquire (may since this expensive and borrowed) some data acquisition equipment so we will see. At a minimum, I will be able to gather before and after video of the underside of the rig on the same section of road.

Jim
              I Imagine I would be interested in those videos. (Sorry - I couldn't help myself.)

Rob
              Rob & Laura
              U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
              2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
              2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
              (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
              Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post

I Imagine I would be interested in those videos. (Sorry - I couldn't help myself.)

Rob
                Rob,

It will be a shocking video.

Jim

Comment

Was going to contact LCI on Monday with the shock question but no need. Both the 3" and 2 3/8 axle tubes use the same shock part number (177734) as found in the installation instructions. So there is most certainly no specific shock tuning for each axle size or per mass, but rather a one fits all.

Comment

I had the shocks ordered and waiting when I brought the rig home. Shocks were the first upgrade, I went with Joy Riders. I finished up the install late on a Saturday. A few parts were left over that was on the instructions. Sunday I took another look in the daylight and a nights sleep. I gave rvimprovementsystems a call expecting to leave a message about the extra parts. To my surprise Sonny answered the phone. All was well as I have a newer revised mounts that didn't require the parts, they had been accidentally packaged at the factory. On the trip home from the dealers one the sink covers ended up in the floor. After shocks I traveled the same road with a roll of paper towels on the island, and it didn't fall. We travel with the Keurig and ice maker on our hutch all the time with no problems.

Comment

@Cate&Rob I know you have done some shock tuning work in the past. What do you think about Lippert's mounting strategy?
                      Hi Jim,

I didn't chime in on this because you were specifically looking for feedback from those who had installed dampers (shocks). This was high on my suspension "wish list" until I researched it a bit. I had the opportunity to discuss the Joyrider system with Sonny Dismuke (designer of the Joyrider product) at a Grand Design Rally, a few years ago.

As you mention, I have some experience in damper tuning. On a car/truck, both jounce and rebound rates are tuned to the specific expectations of the vehicle. Corvette on one end of the scale and (old) Cadillac on the other end of the scale. I was surprised to learn from Sonny that the exact same damper is used on all Joyrider kits, regardless of sprung weight, unsprung weight or damping expectation. This doesn't make sense to me. Of all the kits, I do like the way the Joyrider product gets the damper as vertical as possible. This is the motion direction that (theoretically) needs to be damped. I don't like the way significant size holes are drilled in the lower flange of the trailer frame I beams. Most of the load carrying strength of these frames is in the lower flanges.

So . . . I got Cate to video the side of the trailer in her mirror as we travelled a relatively rough (Michigan ) interstate. I have never been able to see the expected cycle of an un-damped suspension on our Reflection 5th wheel (like you would expect from a vehicle with worn shocks) in my mirror, so I thought that I would be able to see this more clearly by studying a video. It is just not there! I don't fully understand how the cushioned equalizer damps this out . . . but, it does.

Bottom line . . . I decided not to drill significant size holes in my frame rails to install a "one size fits all" damper system to "fix" a problem that I can't see.

Just my (somewhat experienced) 2 cents worth.

Rob
                      Last edited by Cate&Rob; 01-25-2020, 11:04 PM.
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Ed & Cathy K View Post
                        I had the shocks ordered and waiting when I brought the rig home. Shocks were the first upgrade, I went with Joy Riders. I finished up the install late on a Saturday. A few parts were left over that was on the instructions. Sunday I took another look in the daylight and a nights sleep. I gave rvimprovementsystems a call expecting to leave a message about the extra parts. To my surprise Sonny answered the phone. All was well as I have a newer revised mounts that didn't require the parts, they had been accidentally packaged at the factory. On the trip home from the dealers one the sink covers ended up in the floor. After shocks I traveled the same road with a roll of paper towels on the island, and it didn't fall. We travel with the Keurig and ice maker on our hutch all the time with no problems.
                        Ed,

Your input is encouraging. Your statement on the revised mounting of the joyrider system.....what changed?

Thank you,

Jim
                        Last edited by Guest; 01-26-2020, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Jim,

I didn't chime in on this because you were specifically looking for feedback from those who had installed dampers (shocks). This was high on my suspension "wish list" until I researched it a bit. I had the opportunity to discuss the Joyrider system with Sonny Dismuke (designer of the Joyrider product) at a Grand Design Rally, a few years ago.

As you mention, I have some experience in damper tuning. On a car/truck, both jounce and rebound rates are tuned to the specific expectations of the vehicle. Corvette on one end of the scale and (old) Cadillac on the other end of the scale. I was surprised to learn from Sonny that the exact same damper is used on all Joyrider kits, regardless of sprung weight, unsprung weight or damping expectation. This doesn't make sense to me. Of all the kits, I do like the way the Joyrider product gets the damper as vertical as possible. This is the motion direction that (theoretically) needs to be damped. I don't like the way significant size holes are drilled in the lower flange of the trailer frame I beams. Most of the load carrying strength of these frames is in the lower flanges.

So . . . I got Cate to video the side of the trailer in her mirror as we travelled a relatively rough (Michigan ) interstate. I have never been able to see the expected cycle of an un-damped suspension on our Reflection 5th wheel (like you would expect from a vehicle with worn shocks) in my mirror, so I thought that I would be able to see this more clearly by studying a video. It is just not there! I don't fully understand how the cushioned equalizer damps this out . . . but, it does.

Bottom line . . . I decided not to drill significant size holes in my frame rails to install a "one size fits all" damper system to "fix" a problem that I can't see.

Just my (somewhat experienced) 2 cents worth.

Rob
                          Rob,

Your input is greatly appreciated. You found that the joyrider system uses the same shock for all applications and it looks like Lippert is doing the same. Not perfect where they are using a one fits all. I also have reservations in drilling the beam at the flange where Ed mentioned a new design. It would be great if they moved away from the flange drilling. Also have reservations on the Lippert mounting angles but am wondering if their intentions were to dampen vertically, but also to dampen the axle while in rotation when seeing a road input and also when braking? I believe the axles will move in a vertical direction when the input is the same on both axles. For an input on each axle such as a speed bump as an example, each axle would most likely move vertical as well as to rotate with the equalizer motion. But does the Lippert have enough damping at that angle to do any good?

Thank you,

Jim

Comment

Rob,

Thinking with your rig using the correct track system and having longer hangers you may be able to get a fairly straight shot on a Lippert shock mount. Not trying to talk you into the install, just curious what angle you would see due to the long hangers and the 2x2 channel. I'll need to measure the distance of my springs to the frame to get an idea of how this will look since I have the short hangers. Also need to see if I have the required 4 inches between the tire and the frame. Also, I also have the 2x2 square channel welded to the I beam where this is not all that thick, for instance on a joyrider install. Inserts? I'll get out tomorrow to look my rig over, but its too darn cold here in Michigan. Lol.
                            Last edited by Guest; 01-26-2020, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Guest Hi Jim,

The motion of the axles is going to be primarily vertical, controlled by the fixed distance between the front axle and the front spring hanger or the rear axle and the rear spring hanger . . . regardless of what gyrations the centre equalizer is going through. (I am still amazed at how the front axle lifts off the ground under heavy braking ! per that LCI video). The more angle from vertical of the damper, the less effective it will be in damping jounce (vertical) impacts.

I have quoted my Dad more than once in these discussions . . . he often told me (usually when I had something in pieces all over his workbench ) "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I don't see any undamped motion in my trailer that needs "fixing". I agree that intuitively, adding dampers should be a good thing, but I don't see any evidence of motion that needs damping.

Wandering off into the technical details . . . a damper with too strong a jounce response transmits more impact load into the frame. Too strong a rebound response means that the axle is restrained from dropping into a road depression as fast as it needs too to absorb the load. The "one size fits all" designs from both Joy Rider and Lippert tells me the this idea is more "marketing" than it is "engineering".

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X