Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RV Shocks. Who is using them and how do you like them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replied
    Basically the sumo springs are a supplement spring which dampens and absorbs energy (slows acceleration of the spring) during the compression of the spring. The further the compression the more the resistance. Since all options have positives as well as negatives, the negative is the lack of rebound damping. So those compressive forces of the sumo are given back when the suspension returns after a spring compression.
    For the shocks, compression as well as rebound damping (60/40 if my memory serves me) is achieved where forces in both compression as well as rebound are converted to heat, so some of this energy is converted and does not give back. Both options help to prevent over-travel in compression. Sumos most likely have the edge in preventing overtravel over the shocks and can act as bump stops. Shocks absorb energy to help prevent over-travel but in extreme cases cannot prevent overtravel of the spring but smooth out the rebound.
    So both options have pros and cons where most likely both options would improve ride conditions over having nothing. I agree that the best option for the shocks would be to weld in the upper brackets.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• drifterranch
    replied
    I have had sumos for sometime and agree they do improve the bucking and body roll. I also believe they will slow the collapse of the leaf springs which overtime will began to sag. I am going to be adding shocks to mine this winter but keeping the sumo springs.

Leave a comment:

• Yoda
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    I know it's an auto correct issue...but what does this mean Keith?
    Fixed it "basically disappeared" IE. it went away big time.

Leave a comment:

• Scott'n'Wendy
    replied
    Originally posted by Yoda View Post
    the bounce and bucking over bridge joints basically dispensary also noticed a difference when being passed by semi's.
    I know it's an auto correct issue...but what does this mean Keith?

Leave a comment:

• Yoda
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    The sumos are 10% off right now with code journeybetter. Just FYI

My concern with the sumos is regarding initially hitting bumps. Being 'sort of' an air bag, wouldn't this impart more energy to the trailer frame making it more jarring to the contents of the trailer?

I must admit, I don't notice my trailer bouncing around while travelling so I'm struggling with whether adding sumos is a good way to spend some $$. Guess the hard part is getting good comparative data.

Scott
    The inside ride might be a bit harsher, but the overall handling is much improved - especially on rough interstates like I40 through Louisiana. the bounce and bucking over bridge joints basically disappeared also noticed a difference when being passed by semi's. There was much less sucking. This was also true for high side winds. I am very happy with the install. Also if you search the web I believe there is a video comparing side by side to shocks - I cant find it right now, but I will keep looking..There are also several doing before and after shock installs on trailers - mixed results if I remember correctly. BTW I installed the heavier set and increased to 16" tires (heavier wheels) so keep this in mind.

Hope this helps
    Keith
    Last edited by Yoda; 10-14-2021, 08:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Scott'n'Wendy
    replied
    The sumos are 10% off right now with code journeybetter. Just FYI

My concern with the sumos is regarding initially hitting bumps. Being 'sort of' an air bag, wouldn't this impart more energy to the trailer frame making it more jarring to the contents of the trailer?

I must admit, I don't notice my trailer bouncing around while travelling so I'm struggling with whether adding sumos is a good way to spend some $$. Guess the hard part is getting good comparative data.

Leave a comment:

• Yoda
    replied
    Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Beachcamper Yoda

Hi Vivian,

A "timely" revisit of this topic. I have also been considering these alternatives. Based on Keith's detailed writeup and reported results on the Sumo springs https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...all-tss-107-47 I am going to go this way. I like that this will dampen the side-to-side motion of the trailer when parked and I like that the Sumo springs do not require holes in the lower flange of the frame rails.

​​​​​​​Rob
    Thanks Rob for the kind words. It should be noted that I used the heaver of the two sumo springs available. So far I am pleased wit them, especially with the larger tires and rims. https://www.superspringsinternationa...op/tss-107-47/

Leave a comment:

• Beachcamper
    replied
    Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Beachcamper Yoda

Hi Vivian,

A "timely" revisit of this topic. I have also been considering these alternatives. Based on Keith's detailed writeup and reported results on the Sumo springs https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...all-tss-107-47 I am going to go this way. I like that this will dampen the side-to-side motion of the trailer when parked and I like that the Sumo springs do not require holes in the lower flange of the frame rails.

Rob
    it gives me confidence knowing you will be also installing these on your 303rls ​​​​​​​ I had read Keith’s post but did not see his last update at beginning of month. When I get somewhere for a month or so, will order them.

Leave a comment:

• Jlawles2
    replied
    Beachcamper Vivian, Will get pictures of the springs when it comes back from it's 60 day appointment. I dropped it at the dealer Wednesday with a short list of things that need to be addresses. Most minor, but the rims discoloring under the clear (yes it's under the clear and not flaking) may take a while. Service advisor did not return my call on estimate of time Friday. I need to go pick up a part they ordered for me today and return something else, so if she is there, Hopefully I can get an answer on timing.

Did not learn till I was there that they do not normally do "waiters" on 60 day or Wednesday's (sounds like BS to me) and was not advised it would be a drop off when they made the appointment when we took delivery in March.

BTW HWY 49 in Arkansas and Mississippi. Both were "rough" but Arkansas side was horrible enough I could not look in the rear view mirror. I could see the pinbox flexing. I ordered and pick up next week a Morryde rubber pinbox (capture plate is at the dealer). I vaguely remember the interstate around Memphis being a bit rough also.

Leave a comment:

• Beachcamper
    replied
    Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
    Beachcamper Vivian, I am from Louisiana and can attest that the roads are some of the worst. However, they are not the absolute worst. Arkansas along the Mississippi river south of Memphis thus far in my life I think had the worst section of road. I will say the quality of the paved road was worse than some gravel roads I have traveled.

I'm also thinking of adding some type of shock or Sumo spring to my 303. When I look under it the shape of the springs is questionable as they appear to be almost king ranch "W" shaped. I know it's not overloaded because I have weighted it (axle by axle) and the springs from side to side look the same.
    Joseph, can you post a picture of the shape of your springs? Mine look pretty normal and have the smile shape still. You are correct that Mississippi and Arkansas have horrible roads because I spent a lot of time there too looking for good fishing spots, but not towing the rig. But the highways where I tow through is the issue. I have considered better shocks for my truck but given it’s a one ton, it would be a waste of money.

Leave a comment:

• Jlawles2
    replied
    Beachcamper Vivian, I am from Louisiana and can attest that the roads are some of the worst. However, they are not the absolute worst. Arkansas along the Mississippi river south of Memphis thus far in my life I think had the worst section of road. I will say the quality of the paved road was worse than some gravel roads I have traveled.

I'm also thinking of adding some type of shock or Sumo spring to my 303. When I look under it the shape of the springs is questionable as they appear to be almost king ranch "W" shaped. I know it's not overloaded because I have weighted it (axle by axle) and the springs from side to side look the same.

Leave a comment:

• Cate&Rob
    replied
    Beachcamper Yoda

Hi Vivian,

​​​​​​​Rob

Leave a comment:

• Beachcamper
    replied
    This is my first year going out west with my 303rls, I thought the worst roads in the country were in southern Michigan and Indiana, they are not. We spent almost a month in Louisiana and that state by far has the worst roads and highways. That is when I started looking into adding shocks to my suspension, Lippert shocks mainly for ease of install at my annual bearing service appointment in their shop. But the quote for them to install which includes the shocks is $650. Is it worth it?

I have read through your posts here (thank you) and because my main objective is protecting the box and contents riding on the frame I wonder if they would be of benefit vs installing something like sumo springs? My 303rls rides great, no sway and other than the usual bucking when going through really bad areas on the highway.

Any thoughts of sumo springs vs shocks? This would save me about $200 because it looks like an easy install for me to do myself. I also wonder if it would help reduce bounce when stationary.

https://www.superspringsinternationa...op/tss-107-47/
    Last edited by Beachcamper; 07-17-2021, 09:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Spoke with Sonny who mentioned he was aware a single failure of the upper brackets. In this particular case, the customer did not use the correct size pilot drill bit where the self tapping bolts did not have the necessary grip at the thread and as a result, they pulled out. He also re-confirmed he uses a 60/40 damping ratio for jounce/rebound.

He also confirmed his 3" axle kit would work well for the 3500lb axles where from our discussion he has allowed for damping that covers a wide range of loads where the theory is, some damping while not being optimized is better than nothing. I may still take some other measures on the 0.2" thick upper brackets on my Imagine where Sonny mentioning of no known failures with proper installation buys me some confidence.

Below are a couple articles on the installation of the joyrider system where one is a review where two fellows are riding inside the rig for a subjective evaluation. Funny stuff but in engineering subjective evaluations using ones Buttometer is commonly done as well as with data. However never heard of tests with a cat as part of the evaluation. The first article bases the results on the contents being moved about inside the rig where at a minimum some of us ( I plan to) can gather some video.

http://rvimprovementsystems.com/arti..._Joy_Rider.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0aizlG4c68&sns=em

Jim
    Last edited by Guest; 02-13-2020, 11:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Rob,

Thinking each rig may respond differently and also do not prefer how the joyriders mount close to the center hanger. I'm confident in my X factor bracket in removing most if not all lateral motion in the center hanger so if the channel can handle loads in the Z direction, I would be ok. There are no failures that I can find on the internet.

Looking back to my video, it appears shocks may help in my case since the dirt section of my drive was not rough at all on the TV. But the rig does appear to be underdamped at the 2 minute point. In my case, the older Lippert chassis uses 3 inch axles but they are 3500lb with 1750lb springs. So this rig may not fit within the one size fits all category for a 3 inch axle, and may end up being overdamped with shocks.

We have some feedback from EMetz582 on the 2017 2800BH where the results were deemed as excellent. This rig would have had the same chassis as my 2017 Imagine. Not sure how much clearance he had but my Imagine does not have the necessary 4 inch tire/frame clearance for the Lippert shocks. Also not liking my thin wall square tubing on my rig, but believe I have a few solutions in mounting the joyriders should I go this route. I also spoke with Sonny who is confident in the upper mounts on the 0.20" channel where the damping rate from his shocks, the spring rate and other factors would be needed to calculate these loads on the channel while using the self tapping bolts. He tells me he uses a 60/40 damping rate with his shocks for jounce/rebound.

Glad I could spark your interest Rob.

Jim
    Last edited by Guest; 02-12-2020, 10:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X