Reflection 220RK 6K axle replacement - step by step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflection 220RK 6K axle replacement - step by step

Step one - get axles off of truck with green horn driver supervising. Took a while to enplane how pallets worked with fork placement and what we needed to do (spin the pallet) Dumb looks are still priceless

Yes those are 7K 3.5" by 0,5" thick tubes with 6K hubs (6 on 5.5" bolt pattern)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1422s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	163.7 KB ID:	108355

6 leaf springs are attached properly - I will check the 9/16" bolt torque later.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1425s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.6 KB ID:	108356
    Note in the first picture they used the correct Dexter U-bolts with the flattened arch for greater surface bearing area.

I have also verified the right from left. Wiring exits the back of the tube and the back of the backing plate to the rear. So with the axles upside down on the pallet, and facing the pallet the wiring is to the rear so the right side is actually the right side in the photo. But. when installed the Right side goes to the CURB side, and the Left side goes STREET side. (Flipped from the photo)
    Reference picture source
    Right brake drum https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...er/23-465.html
    Left brake drum https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...er/23-464.html

I also verified the orientation of the spring on the adjuster and by the spring placement that I do have the never adjust brakes

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1415s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.2 KB ID:	108357
    So with the axle upside down, this is a Right side Never-adjust assembly and should be curb side when installed.

Now to Waite on my new Ez-Flex center assembly's and for the weather to warm up.

I also discovered my drive only has a 1% slope (using my new trucks off road screen) so I may not need to hook up to jack up the trailer. From the rear to the landing jacks (20') that's just 2.4" if I have calculated correctly.. I should be able to use the same height cribbing for and aft of the axles and keep the trailer parallel to the drive and not worry about the cribbing moving. Cribbing will be made from 2x6 material 3 boards wide (16.5") by about 24" long (4 boards) Thoughts?

I will update as I make progress on this.

Thanks for any help
    Keith

Keith

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Wow - Those look like such an improvement over the OEM stuff.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      Wow - Those look like such an improvement over the OEM stuff.

Jim
      Thanks Jim
      Would you want to venture North to help install?
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Thanks Jim
        Would you want to venture North to help install?
        How far north, and when? I am heading aimlessly north in June. No real destination other than trying to find great places to pester trout.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Material choices and sources
          Axles
          https://ironbeartrailer.com/parts-an...nd-components/ Ask for Brad Prososki ​, This gentleman knows his stuff and is great to work with. Chad his parts manager is also great. They are a stocking Dexter dealer and carry a lot of stock. Good pricing and fast delivery. He was recommended by the Dexter staff person as someone that knew Dexter's line and could help. There near Denver and I believe are a full service center (maintenance and installation) per thier web page.

HD shackle kit - replacing the 1/4" thick shackles with 1/2" thick and all new wet bolts and bronze bushings.
          https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...de/MR46ZR.html I went with E-trailer due to pricing and thier excellent customer service. I used a rare coupon that was posted here

X-Factor cross members. Lots of threads on this and I wanted to improve the hanger strength with the heavier axle weight. I am installing 3 of theses (rear, center, and front hangers)
          https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...de/MR33WR.html Again good pricing, in stock and fast shipping. I am sure SWMBO will like them off the living room floor
          https://www.morryde.com/wp-content/u...structions.pdf Installation instructions. Note I will need to drill a hole to mount due tot he shape of my front and rear hangers (bottom of page two stock equalizer install).

E-Z-Flex center hangers
          My unit came stock with these and they worked well with only minor wear and tear. Dexter is sending me two new ones (gratis) as a good will gesture. This way everything will be new. Dexter has ordered them, but I am awaiting shipment information.Dexter has been great to work with. TIP - Go through thier warranty department with you spring and axle questions (have your axle tag information available) rather than your local distributor as they seam more up to date on what is available.
          So folks know what I am talking about E-trailer carries them.
          https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...13-144-03.html

Springs
          I ordered them through Iron Bear and they did the install for me. Brad recommended this specific model as it is specific for Over-slung axles (springs on top of axles) Dexter part number 072-098-00. This is a 6 leaf 3500 lb spring . I wanted the 6 leaf for a bit of extra lift. From what I can find the initial compression rate is the same as my 2200lb stock springs so I don't think there will be a ride difference. I will be re-installing the Sumo springs to act soley as bumper stops. As the axles are still strapped to the pallet I have not yet looked for the country of origin stamp.

Also special thanks to all the folks here on the tip and tricks (jacking, cribbing, wet bolts) and not least TOOLS!!!!!!

More to come

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

How far north, and when? I am heading aimlessly north in June. No real destination other than trying to find great places to pester trout.

Jim
            Durango - But I hope to have this done long before then. As for pestering trout the SW corner of Colorado around Durango has lot of opportunity's for you to pester them - along with some big game fish like Salmon, Pike and others.

Comment

Wow, that is impressive! That should handle it! When you discussed the upgrade project with the axle manufacturer or GD, did they say anything about a possible GVWR upgrade for your 220RK? You are upgrading the whole suspension system!
              Yep forklifts - I got similar looks as a teenager when I offloaded pallets of 16 ft lumber from a truck and put them inside a warehouse with 14 ft doors.
              2022 Reflection 150 Series 280RS, 2022 GMC 3500 Denali crew cab 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel, empty wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog3162 View Post
                Wow, that is impressive! That should handle it! When you discussed the upgrade project with the axle manufacturer or GD, did they say anything about a possible GVWR upgrade for your 220RK? You are upgrading the whole suspension system!
                Yep forklifts - I got similar looks as a teenager when I offloaded pallets of 16 ft lumber from a truck and put them inside a warehouse with 14 ft doors.
                There is no way to actually officially upgrade the GVWR - just cant be done without a lot of engineering and testing by the manufacturer. GD/Lippert would never go for it and I knew to not even go there, so no I did not even ask.

However, being an engineer, and even you can do the math. Weight the trailer as modified empty, and use the 6K axles/3500lb springs (in this case the 6K axle rating controls) So your new CCC will be the difference between dry weight and axle capacity less the pin weight - or something like that.

IF and it is a big IF the frame is strengthen to carry it. My frame is now reinforced, but there is no way I would load even close to the new carry capacity of the axles. Keep in mind my failure was not do to overloading, but stress due to rough roads.

Hope this helps

Keith

Comment

Wow! Is your trailer heavy enough to deflect those? I don't think I've seen that many leafs on a trailer suspension.
                  Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 04-08-2023, 08:09 PM.
                  2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                    Wow! Is your trailer heavy enough to reflect those? I don't think I've seen that many leafs on a trailer suspension.
                    Scott this ii a typical Dexter 7K spring (3500lb). The bigger units have them
                    My current axles are 4 leaf. From what I can find the leaf thickness/length is the same.or close, so the initial compression rate (normal driving) is about the same. Note in the first photo I am seeing a bit of flattening - not the worst of the 4 so you know. So an increase of spring strength is needed. Is 3500lb overkill - maybe? A 3K spring (5 leaf) would have been probably good, but I wanted a bit of lift. I am pleasantly surprised at how short the 6 leaf is, so it should not com into play until something dramatic happens.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1219s.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	108387 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1425s.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	108388
                    There is very little information on the compression rates that I could find. Also note how short the 6th leaf is on the new spring - more like a spacer. So in a nut shell I went from 4 to 5 leafs, so hopefully I will be OK. The proof will be once installed. Worse case I can always pull a leaf if needed - not likely though.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

There is no way to actually officially upgrade the GVWR - just cant be done without a lot of engineering and testing by the manufacturer. GD/Lippert would never go for it and I knew to not even go there, so no I did not even ask.

However, being an engineer, and even you can do the math. Weight the trailer as modified empty, and use the 6K axles/3500lb springs (in this case the 6K axle rating controls) So your new CCC will be the difference between dry weight and axle capacity less the pin weight - or something like that.

IF and it is a big IF the frame is strengthen to carry it. My frame is now reinforced, but there is no way I would load even close to the new carry capacity of the axles. Keep in mind my failure was not do to overloading, but stress due to rough roads.

Hope this helps

Keith
                      Thanks, I understand, just wondered. I wish GD would offer options like buying a vehicle, upgraded suspension packages, etc. Maybe they do for ordered units. I think my next RV may be a flatbed gooseneck equipment construction trailer with a GD box on it (ha) !
                      2022 Reflection 150 Series 280RS, 2022 GMC 3500 Denali crew cab 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel, empty wallet.

Comment

Well Dexter came through as promised. Two of theses just showed up. So now I have all the parts, Just need to build the cribbing, get the trailer blocked up and the old axles removed. And FEDX did not even destroy the box for once

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1432s.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	109231 I guess the race red will be good looking - right up with the super car brake calibers. I will make sure it is fully lubed before the install. Theses are identical to what I have, but red in color.

One question - has anyone used the rubber/plastic zerk caps and do they work? Now if it will warm up just a bit more I can get the cribbing built.

Keith

Comment

I've had them on some things. They do help with keeping the dirt down and out in some instances.

Problem I see with that is the Zerk's are buried up between the tabs making it harder to install the caps. You might want to get a good https://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-Nar...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== and just wipe the ball face. I use mine to grease those stubborn ones and those that are slightly off making a good seal difficult.

In Rubber tipped: https://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-LNL...s%2C113&sr=8-7

And just in case you did not get one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And something else i need to pick up: https://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-Gre...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Looks good Keith! After looking at my cre3000 equalizers prior to heading back to Canada next week, I will be ordering the ez flex equalizers to replace them this fall. I'm a little disappointed in the mor Ryde equalizers. The rubber is already significantly cracked/checked.
                            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Started on the cribbing yesterday. Its strange, but I don't remember a 2x6x8 board being so heavy Good work out though. I may be short on lumber though, so need to figure out a cheap lumber source. Maybe landscaping timbers? Need to shop around and compare. At least the spring sales are starting. But going thicker than 2x4 means getting the long lag screws. I have a few on hand though. Just need to find them. The upside is I am getting a bit better organized doing this.

I did come up with a plan using the single 30" by 18" HF dolly I have. Its similar to this. https://www.harborfreight.com/materi...lly-56782.html I plan to create an axle tube cradle and place the center of the new axle on it leaving the ends open for the final jacking to get the springs in place (room for jack stands to fit under). Height of the cradle will be adjustable to get the new axle close to the install height. I can us my pallet forks to set the axle on it.

Keith

Comment

Working...
                              X