Reflection 220RK 6K axle replacement - step by step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cate&Rob
    Rob after sleeping on this I think I understand what you were trying to say. MY brain was just not working right yesterday Sorry my friend for my confusion.

I think what you were trying to tell me is if the spring eye is out only a little it will cause the misalignment (offset) on the other end, especially if I fully snugged up the hanger end. I should have left it loose in the the hanger when doing the shackles then snug everything up. Also having to pull it into position should not be an issue down the road as there will be a whole lot bigger stresses on it.. My mistake was snugging this up before getting the shackles in place which caused the issue

I called Iron Bear again and talked with the service manager this time. The correct torque for the 9/16 flanged Dexter U-bolts is 90ft lbs. He also explained the shift in the spring pack lower plates would have nothing to do with the upper offset on the spring eye, unless the axle was bound up, which is is not. He thought my snugging things up identified what you mentioned on the spring eye tolerances. They evidently leave everything very loose first to install the shackles then go back and tighten the hangers and everything. Unfortunately I did not see that tip anywhere but it sure makes sense now.to leave everything loose, including the Ez -Flex hanger bolt until the shackles get installed - then snug things up before the final torque.

the spring pak shift is more cosmetic than anything and probably happen during shipping. They put them on a flat surface and bang then back flat before install - I am not doing that. He explained the spring pack has a center bolt, but to not loosen that. He basically said don't worry about the 1/4" bottom leaf shifts. Basically to double check the U-bolt torque when torquing everything else up

Tomorrow I will be talking to MORryde on the X-Factor to verify the 40 ft lbs as the threads did get greased during the install - I had pre-lubed the inside of the bushings(and the outside when I installed them in the spring eyes).. Just double checking as greased threads can change the torque needed. Ill post what they say about all this too about leaving everything loos given this was a complete install, not the separate components.

Now do I have this straight now, or do you all need to whop me upside the head???

I fell better doing the final torque including the X-factor bracing and getting the tires on and the cribbing out form under the trailer - then I have access to check the brake wiring up front (hidden by the cribbing currently) for any chafing, etc If OK I will stay with the 14 gauge and replace the Scotch knife connectors with the heat shrink step down splices I got. If damaged I can do either 12 gauge or 10 gauge as I have both wire gauges available along with the step down heat shrink splices to mach. I am hoping the wiring is OK as replacing means pulling my 4 6V batterys and digging through wire looms to find the blue wire and pulling a new one

Then the rear plumbing fix to clear the gray tank, the tank support strap fix so it will drain, insulating the wire runs through the cross members (pool noodles), rigid belly insulation, coroplast, reinstall some lights and I should be good for the test drive. I just hope that glimmer of light at the end of this tunnel is not another oncoming train

Thanks for you help and understanding.

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda Hi Keith,

I would agree with the input you got from the Iron Bear Service Manager . . . or he agrees with me . . . one or the other LOL! The spring eyes are on the same leaf. Alignment of the other leaves with the longest top leaf will not affect assembly to the hanger or shackle. I also agree with “leave everything loose” until all fasteners are started . . . this goes for assembling anything.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Yoda Hi Keith,

I would agree with the input you got from the Iron Bear Service Manager . . . or he agrees with me . . . one or the other LOL! The spring eyes are on the same leaf. Alignment of the other leaves with the longest top leaf will not affect assembly to the hanger or shackle. I also agree with “leave everything loose” until all fasteners are started . . . this goes for assembling anything.

Rob
        "Who's on First" LOL He agreed with you (boy was that a shock). The first guy I talked to(Chad) was in parts and had limited install experience. He is the one that ordered everything. Great guy to work with. The second was the service manager, but I cant remember his name.. My biggest issue was explaining what was going on and once he realized I snug thugs up the light bulb wet on. I was thinking of loosening the nuts and he said no - the the threads on the wet bolts are a one use only, I probably should order spares of the longer ones that the X-Factor takes. I do have spares for the shackle bolts along with a few bushings -left overs form the MORryde shackle kit that were replaced by the X-Factor kit.

But it's together and now to finish up today

So lesson learned - leave everything loose (wet bolt fully inserted but not snugged up) until you have everything put together. By fully inserted you want the shoulder through the other side of the hanger and threads exposed with knurls seated.

Thanks again for all of the help.
        Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Keith, next time you need to do a bushing replacement, just use the new bushing as the tool to push the old one out, especially on the plastic ones....
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
            Keith, next time you need to do a bushing replacement, just use the new bushing as the tool to push the old one out, especially on the plastic ones....
            Joseph
            I tried that but got a lot of bounce back from the plastic bushing. The deep socket worked better. I also wanted to grease the inside of the spring eye before installing the bronze bushing, so down the road I can get the old bushing out easier.. But this is all new to me so I could be very wrong. Just trying to follow tips I have read through all the threads.

Comment

Unfortunately those ball joint tools are just too small. the opening needs to be about 3" more. I figured you were pushing the old bushings out with a hammer. Worst case like I had to do on the truck, cut the bushing at the tail of the eye and it will push out by hand.

And Never seize can be your best friend on something like that.
              Joseph
              Tow
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Well the suspension is complete. Everything torqued up and even checked the spring pack U-bolts. Everything good. I
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1584s.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	113822 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1585s.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	113823
                All bolts on the X=factor gross braces at 40 FT-Lbs

Then went back and greased everything.

Name:	IMG_1587s.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	113824
                Ill clean the excess up tomorrow

.I was going to put the tires on but decided to get the brake wiring traced down. I found the sheathed 14 gauge runs all the way to the pin box. No chafing that I found so I am going to leave it. I also discovered that the wiring from this red sheathed line to the brakes appears to be 16 awg I am going to replace with at least #14. Unfortunately I don't have any 14 awg blue on hand just in 12awg. Then I got bummed out as the step down connectors I got might not work, at least the smaller ones.

Name:	IMG_1591s.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	113825
                The white wires they added to the brakes is unmarked and looks a tad smaller, but it could be the insulation thickness. While overkill I may use the 12 awg I have. Its good Ancor TNN stuff.

I may go back and use the WAGO's i have and dip them in liquid insulation and cover in heat shrink. I have some 4:1 stuff from Wirefly that really conforms to shapes. Its glue lined too.

Ill sleep on it

Keith

Comment

Problem solved. I stopped by my Big Tex dealer and picked up some Redline USA made 14-2 brake wiring similar to this. https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Campe.../dp/B00MJUO2VM. I paid more than I should , but it will work and is what I need.

With it I can use the step down connectors I got so everything will be waterproof. I also verified the wiring to the trailer brakes from the splices is definitely 16 AWG When I get this done later today Ill post a few pictures.

Keith

Comment

Another good morning. Break rewiring completed.

Name:	IMG_1593s.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	113999 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1596s.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	114000
                    I cut out the #m Scotch knife connectors and used the heat shrink step down connector. I salvaged a bit if the GD wiring to run tot he front axle and the new brake wiring I got for the rear axle. All wiring is 14 awg now. First photo is of the step down crimp heat shrink connections, You can see the wires are fully inserted to the stop. Note the glue spread out the ends. .Second photo is I covered the entire connection again with heat shrink tubing

Name:	IMG_1597s.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	114001 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1598s.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	114002
                    I then added the strain relief loos knots where the connections will drop thorough the insulation and coroplast. I cant connect everything up yet as I need the insulation and coroplast in to do the final hookup. I was thinking of using a 12v battery and doing a quick test though. - need to charge it first

Comment

Name:	IMG_1611s.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	114364 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1612s.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	114365

Axles with tires are in and cribbing out. Zero play in wheels with tires mounted. 3 of the 4 spin free with a trace of magnet contact. One does have scraping sound during 3/4 rotation of the tire. I am assuming this is the magnet against the drum and will work itself out during brake in. Am I correct on this thinking? even with the noise the wheel spins fairly easily. I will be testing the brakes later.

The good news is it appears I have gained the 1.25" to 1.5" in height I was looking for. Last thing to do is reinstall the sumo springs, but that needs to wait for the coroplast.

Keith

Comment

I set my brakes up with just a little drag, I do not want the wheel/tire to spin around freely maybe one revolution before it stops, hard to explain I do this more by feel. You may hear the magnet but I want to almost hear the brake shoes making contact.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Keith, until you drive it and bed in the brakes a bit, there may be some strange noises from the various components that need to seat themselves.

BTW those be some spiffy looking landscape blocks. Wonder where I have seen that before.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                            Keith, until you drive it and bed in the brakes a bit, there may be some strange noises from the various components that need to seat themselves.

BTW those be some spiffy looking landscape blocks. Wonder where I have seen that before.
                            LOL

Gee - I don't know where I got the idea

Thanks
                            Keith

Comment

Update

Name:	IMG_1675s.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	118036

Went for a test run today. Handling was beautiful. Very stable ride and absolutely no chucking. Trailer is almost level and is now about an inch nose low.. On level ground suspension across the EZ-Flex is equal. Thought on this nose down? I can raise the hitch or lower the pin box if needed, but probably should remeasure on a true flat surface. Also I understand the suspension will settle a bit.

The X-Factors make a huge improvement in tracking - especially on rutted roads. Whats supersizing is how quiet it is without the loud groaning in tight backing and turns.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                                I want to almost hear
                                Hmmm...almost hearing something. Now there's a hard spec nail down...lol

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                                Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Working...
                                X