Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MORryde IS weight upgrade / opinions needed

Hi, All

We're about to upgrade the suspension on our 2018 310GK. We're either going to go to Dexter 8K axles and 4K springs, or the MORryde IS. The MORryde is significantly more expensive (comparison numbers below), but from the reviews here and on other sites it seems the owners are happy with their decision. I've also read, but can't find it again so I'm not sure that it was here, that owners going from 7K traditional suspension to 7K IS are happier than those that "upgraded" to the 8K, because of the harsher ride that necessarily gives. But since f=kx, I'll get a harsher ride with the Dexter 8Ks as well... So I'm looking for experience from any IS owners, and particularly from any who went to the 8K version on a rig that originally had 7K axles.

And for owners who upgraded to heavier traditional suspensions, are you happy with those?

I know that nothing post-factory can ever change the "yellow label" GVWR for a vehicle, but I will feel more sanguine with a beefier suspension. As full-timers, we have a friendly, close, acquaintance with the GVWR.

Another advantage to going with the IS is that MORryde assures me that they will set the suspension to tow level. With a 2018 F350 dually, we're towing about 2" nose high, and my per-wheel weighings confirm that the rear wheels are carrying more load than the fronts.

Now, about IS installation site: Mail from MORryde today (Jan 20, 2020) stated that the IS can be installed by MORryde (I assume in Indiana, but that wasn't stated), or by Henderson's Alignment in Grants Pass, OR. Those are the only two places. So the question: have any of you had Henderson's do the work?

Now the promised price comparisons for Dexter 8K upgrade vs IS (we already have 8K Kodiak disk brakes on the rig, so no brake upgrade).

From Performance Braking, quoted Jan 19, 2020 at the Quartzsite "Big Tent" show:
    Dexter 8K axles (2) and 4K springs (4): $1,300
    Installation: $400
    Brake adapter plates (7K and 8K axles have a different bolt pattern for affixing the brakes): $33 / wheel: $132
    Total quoted: $1,832

From MORryde for install by MORryde (quoted Jan 20, 2020):
    7K: $3,999
    8K: $4,559
    Replumb brakes: $200 - $250

Thanks for any info!
    -Al

(PS: Second Chance Rob: notice I didn't use the phrase "pull the trigger," so no holes in my 310! [smile])
    Al and Kathe
    :No longer full-time. New sticks and bricks in East Helena, MT

2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett)
    2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)

Visited states map on the blog (below)
    Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Originally posted by lobsters View Post
    owners going from 7K traditional suspension to 7K IS are happier than those that "upgraded" to the 8K, because of the harsher ride that necessarily gives. But since f=kx, I'll get a harsher ride with the Dexter 8Ks as well
    Hi Al & Kathe,

This is the key to your question. An "upgraded" suspension should absorb more of the road inputs . . . not transfer these impacts to the trailer with a stiffer suspension. Think "Cadillac" vs "Corvette" when you are considering the ride that you want for your Solitude. The 7K IS has to be the better choice (in my opinion).

Good to hear from you guys (with your new forum name)

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

lobsters (Al),
      I know you've read the writeup on my 315RLTS' IS install, so I won't rehash any of that content. The only .02 I can add to this conversation is to consider how long you plan on keeping your Solitude and the miles you anticipate putting on the camper.

There's no magic combination that tilts the decision, but if your plan is to keep the camper for a number of years and you'll travel extensively--consider the IS. If your Solitude ownership will be short or it will sit in one campground for most of it's life, you might do nothing.

Cate&Rob is one (of many) suspension experts we're fortunate enough to have on the forum so I'm sure he'll weigh in, but one factor I'd wonder about if going to 8K axles and 4K springs is what effect they'd have on the hangers. I've read too many instances of springs breaking and hangers snapping. Obviously with the IS there's no longer any of that concern.

If you do make the trip to Elkhart, you'll enjoy your interaction with Brian (assuming he's still at MORRyde). All of the staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful.

-Howard
      Last edited by howson; 01-22-2020, 02:03 PM.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

OK, I'll chime in with my $.02...

The Solitude 310GK is fairly "light" for having 7,000lb axles. As with Cate&Rob, I would recommend sticking with 7,000lbs. The larger and heavier Solitudes (especially those with the huge rear storage area) are a better candidate for 8,000lb axles.

I'm having my new 310GK-R moved to MORryde to have their IS suspension installed before it gets shipped to me. I'm doing this more to get away from the springs/shackles/hangars than to improve ride quality. Every time I crawled under my previous two 5th wheels to grease the suspension I cringed. It looked like a Conestoga wagon from 150 years ago. I'm actually amazed there aren't more suspension failures than we see.

As for Hendersons Line Up- I've read good things about their work. But, IIRC, they charge about $1,500 more than MORryde. At least they did when I looked into it last year.
        Last edited by bertschb; 01-21-2020, 11:22 AM.
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

I have upgraded both of my 5th wheels. I bent a spindle on the Cedar Creek and had lots of suspension issues with it. I really wanted to go with the Mor-Ryde suspension but was in San Antonio, TX so couldn't get to Indiana. The trailer outfit that did the work cut the entire suspension off, built an I-beam frame and mounted Dexter 8k axles, 4k springs, 17.5" tires and wheels, hubs, etc. and put on disk brakes, only $6k. They used slipper type springs. We had already been down some really rough roads by that time so all of the stuff that was going to break because of a stiffer suspension was already broken. As a result, we saw no difference in the ride.

What I did see was no more suspension related problems. No more tire problems. I am so happy I pulled the trigger on that one. A friend remarked that I spent more on my suspension than a lot of people spend on their cars.

When we bought the Momentum in 2017 I was glad to go to the 3 axle concept. Added capacity. Other than a Westlake tire blowout and a broken hanger we haven't had any problems with it. But while at the Las Vegas rally I went ahead and had 4k hubs, springs, and disk brake put on. Still, I can't tell the difference in the ride.

I believe you are doing the correct thing with the correct people. Full timers use their rigs a little differently than weekenders and beefed up suspension pays for itself in the long run.
          2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
          2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
          E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
          Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Opinions are like a certain part of the human anatomy... and everybody has one (unless there has been some drastic surgical intervention). Here's mine: I agree with "The Other" Rob. Over-suspending a coach can cause damage by not loading the suspension enough for it to travel and react to bumps and holes. Brian at MORryde recommended the 7K units for our 310 (understanding that 7K MORryde units are far more substantial than 7K Dexter or Lippert suspension systems - I suspect it relates to the spindles and bearings). This said, MORryde has a range of rubber shear springs they install on the suspension systems based on wheel weights to further tailor the suspension system to each individual unit. They did this on our Reflection to compensate for the almost 1,000 lb. weight difference between the two sides of the trailer. "Other" Rob's comparison of Cadillac to Corvette is a good visualization. A Corvette ride would be rather hard on the coach.

Rob

PS: our 310 came off the line yesterday and is on its way to MORryde!
            Last edited by Second Chance; 01-21-2020, 05:55 PM. Reason: ... and I thought I had proofread this!
            Rob & Laura
            U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
            2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
            2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
            (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
            Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
              Opinions are like a certain part of the human anatomy... and everybody has one ...Rob. Over-suspending a coach can cause damage by not loading the suspension enough for it to travel and react to bumps and holes.
              Well for certain I have an opinion, hopefully I will not be associated with derogatory portion of a daily activity. I am not understanding the above mentioned quote. Over suspending can cause damage... wait a minute, maybe I got it, in other words if the suspension is too stiff when it hits a hole it bounces everything and damage occurs. Did I get it?

My flip sided thinking on this is that if the suspension is not robust enough to take the forces of bumps and holes while it is traveling down the road damage occurs. In my case it was a bent spindle and the destruction of a shock absorbing system that nearly took out a tire.

But then I tend to abuse my RV. Bad roads, many miles, potholes the size of a ... ah... ok, really big potholes.

We each must evaluate our own needs and decide what is best for ourselves. I have broken stuff, I lean towards the side of overbuilding. Doesn't make me right, it's just my opinion.

2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
              2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
              E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
              Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Originally posted by d2reid View Post

Well for certain I have an opinion, hopefully I will not be associated with derogatory portion of a daily activity. I am not understanding the above mentioned quote. Over suspending can cause damage... wait a minute, maybe I got it, in other words if the suspension is too stiff when it hits a hole it bounces everything and damage occurs. Did I get it?

My flip sided thinking on this is that if the suspension is not robust enough to take the forces of bumps and holes while it is traveling down the road damage occurs. In my case it was a bent spindle and the destruction of a shock absorbing system that nearly took out a tire.

But then I tend to abuse my RV. Bad roads, many miles, potholes the size of a ... ah... ok, really big potholes.

We each must evaluate our own needs and decide what is best for ourselves. I have broken stuff, I lean towards the side of overbuilding. Doesn't make me right, it's just my opinion.
                You got it! It's a balancing act between enough spring capacity (and beefy enough components) to handle the load without the ride being too stiff. The good part about the IS is that it has more than twice the travel of a stock leaf spring suspension - with shock absorbers added in.

Rob
                Rob & Laura
                U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                Full time since 08/2015

Comment

The ideal suspension will allow full travel. If it is too stiff to travel at the speeds and conditions it was designed for, then it is no longer as useful as it could be.
                  2017 310GK

Comment

This is a GREAT discussion! Exactly what a forum like this is supposed to bring out. Thank you to all, for your knowledgeable perspectives and first hand experience.
                    lobsters . . . you can't get better advice than this .

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have a question for those ordering rigs and having them go straight from factory to MorRyde. Are you ordering direct from GD factory or through dealer? If dealer, where you able to negotiate the MSRP with them and how did you do the PDI? Lastly, did you consult with MorRyde before the order to find out which upgrade was best for your new order?
                      Vivian
                      2018 Reflection 303rls
                      Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                      Demco Recon

Comment

Are you ordering direct from GD factory or through dealer?
                        If you are talking about the RV- I ordered my 2020 Solitude 310GK-R from my dealer. I contacted the factory to make arrangements to have my RV transported to MORryde after build is complete and prior to shipping to my dealer in Oregon.

If dealer, where you able to negotiate the MSRP with them and how did you do the PDI?
                        Yes, I was able to get a discount off MSRP. It was a normal transaction (my third with this dealer). The PDI will be done when the unit arrives at the dealer.

Lastly, did you consult with MorRyde before the order to find out which upgrade was best for your new order?
                        I haven't consulted yet with MORryde about the options for the IS suspension or brakes but I already have a very good idea of what I plan to do based on the experience of others . I plan to do 7,000lb "axles" and have my unit raised a bit higher than factory height depending on how tall my truck is (TBD). I also plan to get the upgraded bearings. Those details will come later when my appointment date (March 2nd) gets closer. I will be paying MORryde directly for their work.

Hope that helps a bit.
                        -Brian
                        Brian & Kellie
                        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Driving to Indiana!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to our decision process. We have decided to go with the 7K IS, installed by MorRyde. This has been a very interesting thread and I appreciate everyone's contributions.

howson commented that our usage expectations might make a difference in the decision process. We're pretty heavy users, being full time. We do stay somewhat stationary during the winter at the BLM LaPosa LTVA in southwest Arizona, but the rest of the year we roam pretty widely. We have well over 16K miles in a year and a half. Also, we have no plans to upgrade. I cringe at the thought up moving all our mods and upgrades to another rig, and to be honest, we haven't found another floor plan in the GDRV lineup that we think meets our wants as well.

We will drive out to Indiana instead of "just" going up to Oregon because of price. As I noted in the original post of this thread, MORryde quoted $3,999 for the 7K, plus $200 to $250 for brake plumbing. Henderson's LineUp quoted me $7,100. Interestingly, the Henderson's quote was the same for 7K or 8K, unlike MORryde's.

Onward!
                          -Al
                          Al and Kathe
                          :No longer full-time. New sticks and bricks in East Helena, MT

2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett)
                          2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)

Visited states map on the blog (below)
                          Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
                            Are you ordering direct from GD factory or through dealer?
                            If you are talking about the RV- I ordered my 2020 Solitude 310GK-R from my dealer. I contacted the factory to make arrangements to have my RV transported to MORryde after build is complete and prior to shipping to my dealer in Oregon.

If dealer, where you able to negotiate the MSRP with them and how did you do the PDI?
                            Yes, I was able to get a discount off MSRP. It was a normal transaction (my third with this dealer). The PDI will be done when the unit arrives at the dealer.

Lastly, did you consult with MorRyde before the order to find out which upgrade was best for your new order?
                            I haven't consulted yet with MORryde about the options for the IS suspension or brakes but I already have a very good idea of what I plan to do based on the experience of others . I plan to do 7,000lb "axles" and have my unit raised a bit higher than factory height depending on how tall my truck is (TBD). I also plan to get the upgraded bearings. Those details will come later when my appointment date (March 2nd) gets closer. I will be paying MORryde directly for their work.

Hope that helps a bit.
                            -Brian
                            Thanks Brian that is very helpful for my next order. I guess that would not work if buying off the lot will have to see what deals I can get next time. Good luck with your upgrades, sounds fabulous :-)
                            Vivian
                            2018 Reflection 303rls
                            Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                            Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by lobsters View Post
                              Driving to Indiana!
                              Very cool! I'll miss being there while MORryde does the work. But, it's a bit of a haul from Oregon to Indiana and back. I'm just so happy that Grand Design has offered to transport my RV to MORryde to have this work done prior to shipping. They have been fantastic to work with!!
                              Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Working...
                              X